Photo Contest

Im a pro photographer :slight_smile: if you need any help for retouch-postprocess just let me know.

They are very good pictures, but 7,8,9 are useless for contest, too overexposed. 5,6,2 are VERY nice. Specially 6 has a nice composition. And if you lessen the contrast in pic number 5 you may get nice results.

Hope this helped.

I like 1 and 6. But I feel 1 has an overdone feel to it. 6 on the other hand is a little more unique… so I’m gonna go with 6.

I don’t mean to sound nasty but you said it yourself, your not a photographer and you don’t know what makes for a good picture.
All of your stuff here looks like random holiday snaps, and there is nothing that has any passion or desire to get a really good shot.
Maybe you should study what makes a good photo and then go out and take pics of something that really inspires you and that you are passionate about and try and translate that into the photo so that your audience can feel it too.
Photo number 5 just looks like a snap of someone’s kid in a lake and says nothing about being powerless in the face of nature.
Ok so that sounds harsh, but looking at the previous years winners compared to yours—the only conclusion I can see is that you are really up against it. (You versus people who actually do know what makes a good photo)

As for curves,they are similar to levels as in they are a way to digitally change tone and contrast.
The curves tool can take input tones and selectively stretch or compress them. Unlike levels however, which only has black, white and midpoint control, a tonal curve is controlled using any number of anchor points.

You might want to consider a photo that brings all sorts of things into the mix. Things like depth, texture, contrast of light. I would go with #5 IMO.

Hmmm - I’m no photographer either, but here’s my 2 cents. I think 1 and 6 have the most potential as the most visually appealing of the bunch. I think 5 could’ve almost worked, but the water ends up drawing a line in the middle of the pic which is distracting - good placement of the person though.

less contrast here. any better?

[quote]Turiel wrote:
Im a pro photographer :slight_smile: if you need any help for retouch-postprocess just let me know.

They are very good pictures, but 7,8,9 are useless for contest, too overexposed. 5,6,2 are VERY nice. Specially 6 has a nice composition. And if you lessen the contrast in pic number 5 you may get nice results.

Hope this helped.[/quote]

What kind of retouch would you do with 6? Also what kind of print would you get done (i.e. matte or glossy, something else?) When I submit a pic, I have to submit it as 8x10 hard copy, which I was planning on doing at wal-mart I think.

I think I’ll use 6 from consensus here

Aim for proper skin tone/color, the rest will follow.
I really think 6 is the better picture though…

Errr…by the way, what is the theme of the contest? or is it just open?

[quote]Cheeky_Kea wrote:
I don’t mean to sound nasty but you said it yourself, your not a photographer and you don’t know what makes for a good picture.
All of your stuff here looks like random holiday snaps, and there is nothing that has any passion or desire to get a really good shot.
Maybe you should study what makes a good photo and then go out and take pics of something that really inspires you and that you are passionate about and try and translate that into the photo so that your audience can feel it too.
Photo number 5 just looks like a snap of someone’s kid in a lake and says nothing about being powerless in the face of nature.
Ok so that sounds harsh, but looking at the previous years winners compared to yours—the only conclusion I can see is that you are really up against it. (You versus people who actually do know what makes a good photo)

As for curves,they are similar to levels as in they are a way to digitally change tone and contrast.
The curves tool can take input tones and selectively stretch or compress them. Unlike levels however, which only has black, white and midpoint control, a tonal curve is controlled using any number of anchor points.[/quote]

Not really sure what you mean by picture having passion. Ideally I suppose that would be best; however I think I need to work with what I have since I won’t be anywhere exciting between now and the deadline to snap some more photos.

[quote]Cheeky_Kea wrote:
Errr…by the way, what is the theme of the contest? or is it just open?[/quote]

I think it’s open, it’s an award in memory of some student who was an amateur photographer. Most of the photos from previous years with exception of one are of newfoundland, and mostly nature orientated. I’m thinking that may be my best bet…In any event the contest dosn’t specify a theme:

“On November 5, 2001 the Class of 2000 tragically lost one of its dear
friends and treasured colleagues. Andrew will always be remembered for
his good will, humour, compassion and most of all for his lust for life.
Andrew was also an avid amateur photographer, taking the time to
appreciate the beauty of the world around him. To honour Andrew, the
Class of 2000 has established a Memorial Photography Award in Andrew’s
name, with a chosen photo to be framed and permanently displayed in the
school, so that a part of Andrew’s spirit will continue to
beautify our school.”

You don’t need to be anywhere exciting to take a good pic - you just need a good eye (easier said than done of course). Here’s something quick you can peruse: Basic Photographic Techniques

I’m still learning but it’s fun… Makes you see the world in a whole new way.

[quote]nvh95 wrote:
You don’t need to be anywhere exciting to take a good pic - you just need a good eye (easier said than done of course). Here’s something quick you can peruse: Basic Photographic Techniques

I’m still learning but it’s fun… Makes you see the world in a whole new way.[/quote]

thanks have to check this out tomorrow

[quote]js385787 wrote:
Cheeky_Kea wrote:

The curves tool can take input tones and selectively stretch or compress them. Unlike levels however, which only has black, white and midpoint control, a tonal curve is controlled using any number of anchor points.

Not really sure what you mean by picture having passion. Ideally I suppose that would be best; however I think I need to work with what I have since I won’t be anywhere exciting between now and the deadline to snap some more photos. [/quote]

I mean actually giving a shit about what you are photographing tends to make for better photos, just like lifting and everything esle in life. :slight_smile:

Your picture should convey a feeling, then it will win.

[quote]js385787 wrote:
Turiel wrote:

Hope this helped.

What kind of retouch would you do with 6? Also what kind of print would you get done (i.e. matte or glossy, something else?) When I submit a pic, I have to submit it as 8x10 hard copy, which I was planning on doing at wal-mart I think. [/quote]

Wallmart prints like shit… try to go someplace where you can get them professionaly printed, if it is too expensive for you, try Wallgreens or Sofmap, they print with decent quality.

The retouch I was talking about is just some, saturation/desaturation of some colors. Contrast and levels correction and some noise reduction.

I like how #5 looks but the sky still dosent convince me, try desaturating de Cyans and Blues only in the sky, and blurr it a little bit.

If you still have chance to take more photos go ahead, its digital so its cheap. Try unconventional angles so you can make more interesting pictures, and try to work with ISO 200 or below, so you dont get noise in pictures. And maybe try some long-expusure nightshots in a busy street, those are always interesting.

[quote]Rhino Jockey wrote:
Your picture should convey a feeling, then it will win.[/quote]

Now that is what I am talking about.

This is road that runs right into the heart of Superstition Mountains

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
This is road that runs right into the heart of Superstition Mountains[/quote]

Nice photo, are you posting it as an example of the kind of pic I should be taking?