Phosporic acid and Calcium loss?

How much (if any) calcium does one lose per 1 L of Coke drank?
1 L of Coke contains 5.84 mmol phosporic acid. (considering all the phosporus in Coke comes from phosporic acid)

I’m having a hard time giving up Coke, and the prime reason to give it up is related to this, since the strength of your vertebrae is ~inversely proportional with your risk of herniating a disk…

Thank you, Eisen

OTOH… basic chemistry says that 2 mmol H3PO4 would require at most 3 mmol Ca to be completely neutralized, and 1 g of Ca (RDI) is 25 mmol of Ca… 5.84 would require 8.7…
but I don’t have any idea how acids are neutralized in the human body, and if Ca is the only buffer.

Soft drink intake (particularly phosphoric acid) does not have a detrimental effect on calcium balance.

The only studies to have found this were poorly designed observations, based on questionnaires, e.g.

Or studies in which substantial milk intake was replaced by cola

The only possible negative effects are caused purely by the caffeine, and can be offset by the consumption of a small amount of dairy product.

Your bone health will not be affected by drinking soda.

Sterneneisen I hear ya on the difficulty giving up soda. I have seen this time and time again. If it’s the caffeine you’re attracted to, switch to coffee - natural substance over constructed in a lab.

If it’s the bubbles and fizz your’e attracted to, try switching to soda water (perrier, san pellegrino, etc). I’ve had tremendous success with clients because of this small (but HUGE) change.

If it’s the sweetness, try a 14 day sugar detox where you cut out all sugars. You’ll even have great results here if you allow yourself a piece of fruit post-workout.
If you’re not convinced that it’s bad for you look at some of the other uses for Coca-Cola - cleaning blood off the road after an accident; cops carry a 2L Bottle in their squad car for this! Also heard this one, although it may be an old wives tale…if you put the bone of a t-bone steak in a bathtub filled with coke it will dissolve the bone in 2 days!! If it can do that, what is it doing to your body, specifically your digestive tract.
Hope you can make the change.
All the Best!

[quote]CoachShredder wrote:
If you’re not convinced that it’s bad for you look at some of the other uses for Coca-Cola - cleaning blood off the road after an accident; cops carry a 2L Bottle in their squad car for this! Also heard this one, although it may be an old wives tale…if you put the bone of a t-bone steak in a bathtub filled with coke it will dissolve the bone in 2 days!! If it can do that, what is it doing to your body, specifically your digestive tract.
[/quote]

Both of the statements here are bullshit.

Roon, thank you very much; good info.