Phobias

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

[quote]stefan128 wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
bodies of water.

I will not take baths, I will not go in pools, I will not get in a boat unless absolutely necessary.

Drowning is possibly at the very bottom of my list of ways to die. I’d rather burn.

No, I can’t swim. Not interested in learning. [/quote]

From your avi I see you are in the military and you cannot swim? That is kind of surprising… [/quote]

There’s a reason I chose the Army. [/quote]

I’m also impressed with you in that, despite your hatred of firearms, you’re serving your country anyway.

Salute!
[/quote]

Thank you! I’ve never fired one in anger, only in frustration.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
not trying to be a dick here, but isn’t a phobia an irrational fear? Some of the stuff people are mentioning in this thread is pretty scary in a rational way…[/quote]

I think the extent to which some of us are taking these fears is irrational. Take arachnophobia - it’s good to be scared of spiders, to a degree, because some of them are poisonous. However, when you refuse to even look at the things, it becomes irrational. That’s my interpretation anyway.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:
(I get cowboy tickets, all the time, if anyone wants them)

[/quote]

Hey how you doing?

You mentioned something about Cowboys tickets.

This is not like rodeo or something.

But like the Cowboys, in Dallas, you know like my team. [/quote]

Wow! It took you a whole eleven minutes to sniff that out lol.

Salma…drool…

Dirty deep water is a no go. I love to fish but after I can’t see land anymore I start to freak a little. I tried to beat my phobia when I was younger buy dropping two hits of acid at 5:30 am and hitting the water figuring I’d be too busy laughing and tripping to care. I was wrong. Fucking sea serpents everywhere man!

Water skiing was only possible after a few shots of JD. My buddies were amazed at how long I stayed up the first time out. I had to explain to them it wasn’t skill, it was because I was terrified of going back into the water lol.

To this day I do not let my hands or feet hang over the edge of the bed. Not very manly but there you go.

I absolutely hate flying. To me it feels like the most unnatural thing in the world and I really hate the fact that I’m trapped and have absolutely no control over the situation.

I’ve done a lot of flying, but my last flight was particularly bad and the pilot had to take several attempts to land. This fear will not stop me flying again, but I am definitely not looking forward to it!

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
not trying to be a dick here, but isn’t a phobia an irrational fear? Some of the stuff people are mentioning in this thread is pretty scary in a rational way…[/quote]

I think the extent to which some of us are taking these fears is irrational. Take arachnophobia - it’s good to be scared of spiders, to a degree, because some of them are poisonous. However, when you refuse to even look at the things, it becomes irrational. That’s my interpretation anyway. [/quote]

ya, I consider a fear of spiders to be irrational if you live in the UK.

In Australia however, it just shows good survival instinct

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

[quote]stefan128 wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
bodies of water.

I will not take baths, I will not go in pools, I will not get in a boat unless absolutely necessary.

Drowning is possibly at the very bottom of my list of ways to die. I’d rather burn.

From your avi I see you are in the military and you cannot swim? That is kind of surprising… [/quote]

I’m also impressed with you in that, despite your hatred of firearms, you’re serving your country anyway.

Salute!
[/quote]

Thank you! I’ve never fired one in anger, only in frustration. [/quote]

Not much of a “combat vet” here, but I have been in firefights.

When it happens you will be firing in fear and fear-of-fucking up, not anger, if you are like me.

Still shot what I was supposed to shot, mind you. Just nearly shat my shorts. Very happy for training and the first fire fight made me get a manual and walk myself through every step.

I’m afraid of drowning. I still go canoeing and kayaking and everytime I plan a trip I’m determined to make myself calm on the water but the whole time I am struggling with panic! Then I get nightmares. When I was a little kid I fell through the ice of our pool and my brother pulled me out so maybe that’s where it comes from but I can’t seem to kick it, despite trying to swim and going paddling every year.

I used to have a fear of heights and I struggled with some sketchy scrambly mountain ridge-walks (and had brutal nightmares for weeks after) but I’m proud to say that this past summer I walked across a narrow ridge-walk over two steep slopes calm and cool and nightmare free. I think I actually have licked that one.

I don’t know if I’ll ever get past the water one. There is something about me and the water that doesn’t mix. I get a sense of panic just watching it, yet I am so interested in being in it.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:

[quote]stefan128 wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
bodies of water.

Salute!
[/quote]

Thank you! I’ve never fired one in anger, only in frustration. [/quote]

Not much of a “combat vet” here, but I have been in firefights.

When it happens you will be firing in fear and fear-of-fucking up, not anger, if you are like me.

Still shot what I was supposed to shot, mind you. Just nearly shat my shorts. Very happy for training and the first fire fight made me get a manual and walk myself through every step.[/quote]

I count myself lucky that the closest I’ve come to getting shot is a stray round missing me by about 2 feet. I didn’t freak out about it until I got back to my room that night and realized that random chance had almost broken my mother’s heart.

I don’t care if this sounds pussified, but I don’t want to be in a firefight. Just in case though, would you mind giving a recommendation on that manual?

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
bodies of water.

Burning sucks way worse than drowning in my experience, While Scuba Diving once I ran out of air, I was only about 10 feet down so I just swam back to the surface it scared me, but I went back down the next day. Hands down I would take nearly drowning 100 times rather than be lit on fire again.

[quote]One-Two wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
bodies of water.

Burning sucks way worse than drowning in my experience, While Scuba Diving once I ran out of air, I was only about 10 feet down so I just swam back to the surface it scared me, but I went back down the next day. Hands down I would take nearly drowning 100 times rather than be lit on fire again.[/quote]

That would be rational.

Alligators.

I have no fucking idea why.

[quote]One-Two wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
bodies of water.

Burning sucks way worse than drowning in my experience, While Scuba Diving once I ran out of air, I was only about 10 feet down so I just swam back to the surface it scared me, but I went back down the next day. Hands down I would take nearly drowning 100 times rather than be lit on fire again.[/quote]

God damn son. Hell of a first post.

I assume you’re okay now? SOme scars and such?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Alligators.

I have no fucking idea why.[/quote]

[Quote]
God damn son. Hell of a first post.

I assume you’re okay now? SOme scars and such?[/quote]

Yeah for the most part when I get angry or blush my arm, chest, and throat turn bright red now though.

[quote]One-Two wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
bodies of water.

As a fellow burnee (IED Iraq), I am going to disagree about the actual burn. It really didn’t hurt at all, perhaps because the nerves fried.

The rehab — debridement, in particular — is fucking horrible.

I was on morphine and screaming, and I am not a pussy when it comes to pain.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:
(I get cowboy tickets, all the time, if anyone wants them)

[/quote]

Hey how you doing?

You mentioned something about Cowboys tickets.

This is not like rodeo or something.

But like the Cowboys, in Dallas, you know like my team. [/quote]

Ah… Salma and her tattas… mmm…

I’m just happy that Deb’s got an avatar again!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I’m just happy that Deb’s got an avatar again![/quote]

You and me both.

=)