T Nation

Philosophy Questions

Hi everyone I was hoping I could get some help answering a couple a questions.

  1. why is it that epistemology and metaphysics necessarily overlap?

  2. which epistemology positions establish which metaphysical positions (vice versa)?

any help would be great I have to write a paper and these are a couple of the questions I have to answer.

Oh sure, do you have any other homework we could for you as well? Shit, don’t even bother going to class, I’ll go for you.

I am not asking you to do my homework I was asking for some help. I know what each branch studies but I don’t really know how they overlap other than that they both try to prove how is it we know something.

[quote]seraphim28 wrote:

Hi everyone I was hoping I could get some help answering a couple a questions.

  1. why is it that epistemology and metaphysics necessarily overlap?

  2. which epistemology positions establish which metaphysical positions (vice versa)?

any help would be great I have to write a paper and these are a couple of the questions I have to answer.[/quote]

  1. Doesn’t make sense could you maybe add more? They do overlap but they aren’t necessarily one thing

  2. Not knowledge of the divine.

Weird questions

[quote]seraphim28 wrote:

Hi everyone I was hoping I could get some help answering a couple a questions.

  1. why is it that epistemology and metaphysics necessarily overlap?

  2. which epistemology positions establish which metaphysical positions (vice versa)?

any help would be great I have to write a paper and these are a couple of the questions I have to answer.[/quote]

In the finest of philosophical traditions, why don’t you give us your first attempt to answer the questions. Then we, in turn, will add our own small contribution of truth.

If we find something good or useful, we should then hold it out as a good among us.

Squats and Milk…

I graduated many years ago, but I’ll throw out a few possible leads.

I strongly suggest you do a considerable amount of research on your own.

[quote]seraphim28 wrote:

  1. why is it that epistemology and metaphysics necessarily overlap?
    [/quote]

Metaphysics examines the nature of reality, epistemology examines the limits and reliability of human knowledge.

What is reality (metaphysics)? What can we possibly know about reality (epistemology)?

When discussing what the underlying properties of reality are (metaphysics) it’s also important to discuss if and how we can know anything about these properties (epistemology)?

Books could be written answering this question. Not sure how long your paper has to be, but I think it’d be best if you found two epistemological and two metaphysical problems that complement each other.

Example: The metaphysical question “Does reality exist outside of mind?” ties in nicely with the internalism/externalism epistemological debate.

[quote]csuson wrote:
Squats and Milk…[/quote]

ROFLMAO!!

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
csuson wrote:
Squats and Milk…

ROFLMAO!! [/quote]

What people don’t realize, and I’ve only recently learned, is that THIS REALLY IS THE ANSWER. FOR EVERY QUESTION. Utopia = flowing rivers of milk, with squat racks everywhere. And squat rack curlers being crushed by bricks falling from the sky …
Wait, what was the question again?

This is another example of why the Asians are going to take over the world economically. Not only do we force western students to waste part of their finite learning time on this shit, but we don’t even teach them how to use Google or other research tools to find their own answers. What a shame.

[quote]seraphim28 wrote:

Hi everyone I was hoping I could get some help answering a couple a questions.

  1. why is it that epistemology and metaphysics necessarily overlap?

  2. which epistemology positions establish which metaphysical positions (vice versa)?

any help would be great I have to write a paper and these are a couple of the questions I have to answer.[/quote]

In a very basic sense, if something doesn’t exist, you can’t know it.

For example, if you are a logical behaviorist, and believe that mental states don’t exist, you can’t claim to know what someone else thinks or feels.

[quote]Avoids Roids wrote:
This is another example of why the Asians are going to take over the world economically. Not only do we force western students to waste part of their finite learning time on this shit, but we don’t even teach them how to use Google or other research tools to find their own answers. What a shame.[/quote]

OK, my earlier post was frivolous, but I’d like to respond to this. I agree the OP was silly to post this here. I’m guessing, like you, there’s a library at his school. And, as you say, there’s Google. But c’mon, some very bright people have been studying philosophy for a very long time. In Asia, too. I don’t think considering these questions is leading to the decline of Western civilization. I’d say that unwillingness to think at all is our biggest problem.

[quote]Skuebb wrote:
Avoids Roids wrote:
This is another example of why the Asians are going to take over the world economically. Not only do we force western students to waste part of their finite learning time on this shit, but we don’t even teach them how to use Google or other research tools to find their own answers. What a shame.

OK, my earlier post was frivolous, but I’d like to respond to this. I agree the OP was silly to post this here. I’m guessing, like you, there’s a library at his school. And, as you say, there’s Google. But c’mon, some very bright people have been studying philosophy for a very long time. In Asia, too. I don’t think considering these questions is leading to the decline of Western civilization. I’d say that unwillingness to think at all is our biggest problem.

[/quote]

If the OP’s major is Philosophy then maybe your point is valid. AR was assuming it wasn’t and hence it would be a waste of time. I was an engineering major and you wouldn’t believe the stupid humanities classes I had to take. They were certainly a waste of time. I could have gotten out of school a whole year earlier and save a lot of $ if I didn’t have to take any of them.

www.scholar.google.com

IMO, it all goes back to Kant: He said that space and time are inventions of our minds, in an attempt to understand the noumenal world. He was one whacked out dude!

So, we can’t seperate our consciousness from the world as we understand it.

BTW: Nephorm is best at this stuff!

OP,

Much of this was created by the need to prove that god existed (metaphysics). Many philosophers tried to create a method by which their knowledge could not be doubted but instead would lead them to a logical understanding proving the existence/non existence of a god.

To prove something metaphysically you must use epistemology to arrive at that conclusion.

There have been many different methods created to try and prove metaphysical concepts. If you are taking a class they may ask your to try and prove/disprove something by creating a line of reasoning that you can back up…other than just saying you believe something because your mom and dad told you it was true.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
If the OP’s major is Philosophy then maybe your point is valid. AR was assuming it wasn’t and hence it would be a waste of time. I was an engineering major and you wouldn’t believe the stupid humanities classes I had to take. They were certainly a waste of time. I could have gotten out of school a whole year earlier and save a lot of $ if I didn’t have to take any of them.[/quote]

I think that’s a remarkably short-sighted view. The goal of liberal education is, in part, to allow students to learn from the greatest minds in history, and to be thoughtful about the world around them. What you are advocating is little more than a trade school.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
If the OP’s major is Philosophy then maybe your point is valid. AR was assuming it wasn’t and hence it would be a waste of time. I was an engineering major and you wouldn’t believe the stupid humanities classes I had to take. They were certainly a waste of time. I could have gotten out of school a whole year earlier and save a lot of $ if I didn’t have to take any of them.

I think that’s a remarkably short-sighted view. The goal of liberal education is, in part, to allow students to learn from the greatest minds in history, and to be thoughtful about the world around them. What you are advocating is little more than a trade school.[/quote]

And, by the way, trade school might be just fine if you actually do nothing but engineering forever. But I sat next to a couple pretty good engineers in somelaw school classes. It took them quite some time to figure out that everything in the world is not a math problem. Why limit yourself?

[quote]Skuebb wrote:
Avoids Roids wrote:
This is another example of why the Asians are going to take over the world economically. Not only do we force western students to waste part of their finite learning time on this shit, but we don’t even teach them how to use Google or other research tools to find their own answers. What a shame.

OK, my earlier post was frivolous, but I’d like to respond to this. I agree the OP was silly to post this here. I’m guessing, like you, there’s a library at his school. And, as you say, there’s Google. But c’mon, some very bright people have been studying philosophy for a very long time. In Asia, too. I don’t think considering these questions is leading to the decline of Western civilization. I’d say that unwillingness to think at all is our biggest problem.

[/quote]

Does the Art of War or The Book of Five Rings fit into philosophy anywhere. they both reason with the world and its rules. sorry i’m not very educated in philosophy but i have read the Art of War and i am getting ready to read the book of 5 rings.

[quote]Skuebb wrote:
nephorm wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
If the OP’s major is Philosophy then maybe your point is valid. AR was assuming it wasn’t and hence it would be a waste of time. I was an engineering major and you wouldn’t believe the stupid humanities classes I had to take. They were certainly a waste of time. I could have gotten out of school a whole year earlier and save a lot of $ if I didn’t have to take any of them.

I think that’s a remarkably short-sighted view. The goal of liberal education is, in part, to allow students to learn from the greatest minds in history, and to be thoughtful about the world around them. What you are advocating is little more than a trade school.

And, by the way, trade school might be just fine if you actually do nothing but engineering forever. But I sat next to a couple pretty good engineers in somelaw school classes. It took them quite some time to figure out that everything in the world is not a math problem. Why limit yourself?

[/quote]

Everything is math.

Yah, I watch Numbers.

[quote]casslerock wrote:
Does the Art of War or The Book of Five Rings fit into philosophy anywhere. they both reason with the world and its rules. sorry i’m not very educated in philosophy but i have read the Art of War and i am getting ready to read the book of 5 rings.
[/quote]

I’d say it needs to fit somewhere, after all, history is written by the winners.