Philer's Training Log

Hey guys, first post here. Been wanting to start a log for a while now. Finally doing it! A little about me, I’m a personal trainer, been doing it for over a year. I have a degree in human kinetics, so I got a pretty good knowledge base and background in kinesiology. Just starting to get into powerlifting, I’m hoping to have my first competition in early 2012. I don’t use any gear on any lifts.
Here are some of my stats:

• Weight: 155lbs
  • Height: 5’7
  • Deadlift: 340 lbs
  • Bench: 265 lbs
  • Squat: 255 lbs
  • Military Press: 150 lbs

Main goals right now is to get my deadlift up to 405 and squat much more weight, without increasing bodyweight. I’m pretty happy with my bench right now, but if it goes up I’ll take it! I should also add that my mobility sucks and I want to be able to do a sots press.

Right now I’m on my second cycle of 5/3/1.

Today was my deadlift day.

Foam roll
Mobility

Deadlift: Hybrid stance between sumo and conventional, double overhand grip.
3 warm-up sets then work sets.
260 x 5, 275 x 5, 295 x 5

Stiff legged deadlift
135 x 10, 185 x 10, 205 x 8

X-band walks superset with
3 sets of 8 reps using red and green bands

Reverse crunches with stability ball.
3 x 12

I usually do about a 15-30 minute warm-up, before each lift, consisting of mobility and foam rolling. I’m a pretty tight individual, so improving mobility and flexibility is key for me. Overall session went well today. Happy with the deadlifts, grip started giving way on the last set. On the stiff-legged deads my grip started giving way on the last set even with chalk, so I called it quits. Core strength definitely needs to improve, because those felt too “hard.” I will try and post pics and vids whenever I can!

Philer out

Bench Press day

Foam roll
Mobility

Bench Press
Warm up sets then
205 x 5, 210 x 5, 225 x 4, 135 x 5, 135 x5

Incline DB bench Press
65 x 10, 65 x 8.

Chin-ups
BW x 8, BW x 6, BW x 8.

Seated row superset with
60 lbs x 12, 60 x 12, 60 x 10

Triceps pushdowns with rope
32.5 x 12, 37.5 x 12, 37.5 x 12

Today was my bench day. I’ve been feeling pretty tired past couple of days, just been hacking away at my posterior chain, so its pretty much sore. Energy levels kinda low. Bench didn’t go the way I want it to go, form sucked on the last set especially the last three reps at 225. Brought the weight down to 135 and figured I’d do a couple of sets for form. A couple of powerlifters at the gym we’re critiquing my form, so I figured I’d work on that. Blew by the rest of my training session. In other news I’ll be going to watch my first powerlifting comp this weekend in Niagara Falls, really excited about that. Going down with a couple of the powerlifters from the gym. Hopefully I’ll learn lots! Dunno if I’ll get a session in or not, we’ll see.

Big news! I attended the Niagara Open powerlifting competition. It was a great time and I learned lots. All my buddies that I went up with finished on the podium! I really wanted to lift but held off lol. After discussing with one of the lifters, when I should compete I decided my first 3 lift meet will be in about a month! Reason behind this, is I can compete as a Junior and so I can get my class three qualifying standard and be able to compete at provincials in January. Really excited and I’m going to change up my training for the next month. Also I should mention that I will be competing in a Raw bench only comp on Nov 5th, so I’ll get a good idea of my bench.

Havnt been feeling good past couple of days. Health issues have been acting up so my mobility is crap. Was supposed to do squats and bench today.

Squats
Bar only - focus on technique and first time lifting with squat shoes.

Bench Press
Bar, 135 x10, 185 x 10 (PR), 205 x 8 (PR).

Dips
BW x 12, BW 45lbs x 10 x 3 sets.

Lying triceps extension with DB - super set with
22.5 x 12, 25 x 8, 25 x 6

Dumbbell curls
25 x 12, 30 x 12

Happy that I got to lift something today. Squats hurt with any weights on, so just stuck with the bar. Bench went really well. I witched my grip from pinky fingers on the rings to the index fingers, made a big difference, will be sticking to that from now on. Triceps we’re done after the first set to extensions, and easy weight for the curls. Dunno when I’m going to lift next, but hopefully soon.

Body was finally feeling good and I was able to get a lift in today.

Lower body - Deadlifts

Mobility Complex

Sumo deadlifts
warm-up sets then
185 x 5, 225 x 5, 275 x 5, 295 x 5.

Stiff-legged deadlifts
135 x 8, 185 x 8.

Stability ball leg curls
BW x 12 x 3 sets

Prone Jack knifes
BW x 12 x 3 sets

Was very happy that I could finally lift today. No pain or discomfort anywhere. Last set felt heavy, could have done a couple more reps, but left it at that. Didn’t want to overdo it on the stiff-legged deads either, so I just did two, felt good. I should also note that it was my first time using a mixed grip for my sumo deads, felt kinda weird at first, but I will be able to pull more weight for sure.

Bench day.

So I met up with one of the big powerlifters of the gym to work on my bench form and get an idea of what my opener would be for the comp on Saturday.

Bench Press
Bar x 8, 135 x 5, 175 x 1, 200 x 1, 235 x 1, 205 x 2 with pause, 205 x 1 with pause.

Chin-ups
3 x 8 x BW

Inverted rows (feet elevated)
3 x 12 x BW

Not a lot of volume, but I was able to figure out my opener for Saturday which will be 205 lbs. Which was the goal of this session. 235 felt heavy today, I think because we’d done a small bench day on Saturday to check out my form (which needed a lot of work), so 1 day rest was not enough.

Another Bench Day.

Focus today was on form and speed.

Bench
Bar x 15, 135 x 5, 135x5, 185 x 1, 225 x 1 with pause.

Front squats
4 sets of 135 x 5

Bulgarian Split squats
3 sets with 35 lbs DB x 8

Chin-ups
3 x 8 x BW

Inverted rows
3 x 10 x BW

Again main focus was to reinforce proper technique, it’s coming a long but still needs work. This will give me 72 hrs rest before the comp. I’m feeling pretty confident right now. I havn’t squatted in over 2 weeks, decided I would do some front squats, felt good, legs are gonna be sore tomorrow. Core felt strong through out. Finished off with a bit of back to keep things balanced.

I had my bench only comp yesterday. Weight-in at 69.1 KG, so I was in the 75 KG class. The meet went well. Opened at 100Kg - felt easy. Then did 107.5 KG - missed it, I pressed just before the press command. Weight still felt easy so went up to 110 KG, i got the lift but held my breath the entire time. We were allowed 4th attempts for records only. Since the record in the federation was 102.5 KG in the 75 KG class I decided I’d go for 112.5 KG or 248 lbs. I got the lift! I have a video of the lift so I’ll try posting it. Weight felt easy off the chest, then started to slow down, and I remembered that should exhale, and then the weight continued go up lol. Overall I’m happy with the meet, got first place in the 75KG class! I’m looking forward to the next comp on the 26th of Nov. After the meet I decided to go train and do some deadlifts.

Deadlifts - hybrid stance
bar x 8, 135 x 6, 205 x 3, 225 x 3, 275 x 1. 315 x 1 w/belt-chalk, 335 x 1 w/belt-chalk, 365 x 1/belt and chalk.
Felt great to hit a PR! after a meet nonetheless. First time using a belt and a what difference, a lot less stress on the back.

Glute hame-raises
3 x 8 x BW.

Hamstrings had a great pump going, decided to call it a day!

Video to come.

Busy week, forgot to do some training updates. So I’ll start with Tuesdays workout.

Squats
Bar x 8, 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 205 x 1, 225 x 1, 245 x 1.

I can’t remember if I did anything else. Still trying to figure out my opener for my comp in 2 weeks. I think 225 will be a safe opener. Happy that I finally got some squats in.

Thursday was squat and bench day.

Squats
bar x 8, 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 185 x 5 x 3 sets.

Front squat
135 x 5.

Bench press
Bar x 10, 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 155 x 3, 185 x 5 x 3 sets.

Bulgarian split squats
40lbs DB in each hand x 8 x 3 sets

Chin-ups
BW x 8, 7, 8.

Inverted Rows feet elevated
BW x 12

Overall workout was good, and I’m happy that I got it in. But was low energy after the squats.

Deadlifts today!!!

Deadlifts hydrid stance
95 x 8, 135 x 5
Left adductor felt weak and just overworked for some reason, don’t know why. So I decided to which to conventional and see how ti goes.

Deadlifts conventional
185 x 5, 225 x 1, 275 x 1, 315 x 1 belt/chalk, 365 x 1 belt/chalk, 385 x 1 belt/chalk (PR)!

Goodmornings
bar x 8, 65 x 8, 85 x 8, 105 x 8, 125 x 8.

Push-ups
3 x 12 x BW

Ab roll-outs
3 x 10

Prone row to external rotations
3 x 12 x 7.5lbs

Training session went really well. Started out low energy, but finished strong. I don’t know what was up with my left adductor, but it didn’t feel right. Switched to conventional and lifts went well, again trying to figure out my opener for my comp in 2 weeks. I think it will be 365lbs. Did goodmornings for the first time, dont know if I like the exercise, but I’ll give it a chance. Finished with a bit of abs and some shoulder saver exercise.

Squat and bench session.
Session was spent trying to figure out openers for comp.

Squat
bar x 8, 135 x 5, 170 x 1, 185 x 1, 205 x 1, 225 x 1, 240 x 1.

Bench Press
bar x 10, 100 x 5, 125 x 3, 135 x 2, 170 x 1, 200 x 2, 225 x 1.

Squats felt really easy, definitely can go up. Bench felt good, first real time going heavy since comp. missed the 225 lift, because I started lifting before the start command. Ill be back Saturday with another post, going to work up to my openers on all three lifts.