Philando Castile Shooting

That is a possibility, or he interpreted his actions correctly and Castile had the intent of shooting the officer…no one knows until there is a complete and detailed investigation.

What.the.FUCK?

1 Like

He’s entitled to a trial, but just going by this he should be trading his police uniform for a prison uniform.

There is a commonly held belief that it’s best to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. I know I heard this said in the academy (I did a brief stint as a cop before saying to heck with that).often enough. Shoot when in doubt?

I’m going to go ahead and guess that you nailed it.

I’ll just leave this here…

http://www.kare11.com/mb/news/local/woman-who-streamed-minnesota-shooting-arrested-in-assault/419595162

1 Like

How could anyone file a complaint after being struck multiple times in the head with a hammer? Mabe she didn’t put full swings into it.

That’s attempted murder. Maybe that’s why she was so calm in that video. Stone cold.

Maybe being in a traumatic, violent situation had an effect/affect on her and she turned stone cold.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/post-nation/wp/2017/06/16/minn-officer-acquitted-of-manslaughter-for-shooting-philando-castile-during-traffic-stop/

Not guilty, on all counts.

As I said one year ago on this very thread people should not jump to conclusions. Police Officers want to work their shift and then go home to their families in one piece. When pulled over make sure that the officer can see your hands. Keep them on the steering wheel or exposed on the top side the door if your window is open so that they are clearly visible. And keep them there until the officer asks to see your license. Then tell the officer where you license is before you reach for it. “I am going to open my glove compartment to retrieve my license is that okay officer?”

Then slowly reach for your license and any other information which is requested and hand it to the officer. Never under any circumstances reach for anything without communicating your action. Then if you are told not to reach immediately stop.

I’m taking the time to post this because there are plenty of young men on this site who might not understand how to behave when pulled over by a Police Officer. There is no reason to get hurt, or worse while undergoing a routine V&T stop.

If you feel that the officer in question was abusive DO NOT argue with him/her simply take your complaint directly to the Police Station, Trooper Barracks, or Sheriffs Department depending on which department’s officer you feel was out of line. If this is an abusive officer your complaint may make a big difference in whether he/she remains on the Department.

Castile was killed because he was simply not following the lawful orders of a Police Officer who was carrying out his duties. Don’t become a statistic comply with the lawful orders of a Police Officer and make sure you follow his or her directions before you make any sudden movements.

I’d argue that you’re probably better off always having your license, registration, and insurance information within easy reach, and having those already in your hands when an officer gets out and approaches your vehicle.

I think I understand what you’re saying here, but he was killed because he put the officer in fear for his life and not simply for not following orders.

When a person does not follow orders he many times puts the officer in fear of his life.

He continued to reach for “something” when he was ordered not to move. And it’s terribly sad that this person had to die because he either didn’t understand a simple lawful order, or decided to be noncompliant with the lawful order of a Police Officer.

“Defense attorneys argued that Castile was culpably negligent in the shooting because he volunteered that he possessed a gun without disclosing that he had a permit to carry it, that he reached for it instead of keeping his hands visible, and that he was high on marijuana, rendering him incapable of following Yanez’s order not to reach for the gun. Yanez testified last week that he fired because he feared for his life. A gun was recovered from Castile’s right front shorts pocket as medics and police prepared to move him onto a backboard. Castile had a permit to carry the handgun.”

http://www.sentinelsource.com/mcclatchy/police-officer-not-guilty-in-fatal-shooting-of-philando-castile/article_8cc7e26a-a49b-5683-bc75-54a8582b8203.html

Guns and drugs don’t mix.

Marijuana x gun = death penalty.

What were the grounds for not using/allowing Jeronimo’s taped interview?

If I confessed to a crime, on the record, there is a 100% chance that would be used against me.

If Jeronimo’s statement on the stand didn’t match the interview tape, that is some kind of legal issue.

Like I said, I think I understand what you were trying to say; however, he was killed because he put someone in fear for his life and not for simple non-compliance. If he had merely not complied, he would probably still be alive. I’m not going to say that Yanez killed the guy for mere non-compliance.

Of course he didn’t kill him for non-compliance.

Then we agree. I only took issue with what you wrote here, although I figured you didn’t mean exactly that:

I did mean that. When you don’t follow the lawful order of a Police Officer you scare the officer and put him in a defensive position. Hence, you could be arrested or even killed.

Yea but they need some kind of retraining this shit happens way too much. What ever happened to a beating tazering or just shot in the leg. These guys are way too militarized now. For many the police dont feel friendly they feel like a occupying force. And when they do this shit time and time again it seems that way. Also lets be honest its not young white guys getting full clips emptied in them while they reach for insurance cards or skittles. Most cops even agree the force needs to weed out the idiots better. I think if jurys started convicting these guys it would stop but so far you can bank on a cop killing some un armed person weekly. I know the super right and uptight believes in 100% compliance at all times but resisting arrest is most times a $500 fine, assualt on a officer $1000 and 6 months in jail. Some of these crimes people die over are low level missdamenors. Like in NYC dude got chocked to death over selling ciggarettes. Way too much deadly force is being trained into thse guys. I think its a product of being in war since 911

2 Likes

The man that you are talking about Eric Garner was 350 pounds and was being placed under arrest. After refusing to comply the Officers had to wrestle him to the ground and because of his size had to use a great amount of force to do it. Unfortunately the man had asthma and died during the arrest.

There was apparently a fight going on between two other people and Garner (the man who was choked) was in the middle of it. He was breaking it up apparently but when the Police saw it they had no idea.

Garner then said “Every time you see me you want to mess with me,” Garner told NYPD. “I’m tired of it. It stops today!”

It stops today? What does that mean? He is 350 pounds and well over 6 ft. tall look at the link. The Officers did their jobs. Had they known ahead of time that Garner was asthmatic I am sure they would have gone about it just a bit differently. But more importantly Garner knew that he was asthmatic and was not afraid of engaging the Police. Once again the Officers did their jobs correctly with the knowledge that they had. This was proven out by a Grand Jury that refused to indict the Officer in question:

"Police Benevolent Association President Pat Lynch said it was clear that Pantaleo had tried “to do nothing more than take Mr. Garner into custody as instructed and that he used the take-down technique that he learned in the academy when Mr. Garner refused.”

If the passenger woman had been carrying, and she had fired on the cop, would she have been in the clear?