Philando Castile Shooting

You have on idea what was going on in that case do you? The first question you must ask yourself is this: Did the Police Officers tell the man to move along? How did he end up on his back grappling with two officers? Also, he was shot because he was reaching for a gun which was in his front pocket. From what I have read of the investigation so far the man actually had his hand in his pocket on the gun. Now if you don’t think someone laying on their back and shoot you with a gun in his pocket than you better think again.

Once again if the man was asked to move along, or to put his hands on the car for a stop and frisk then he should have don exactly that. No one has the right to attempt to fight a Police Officer simply because that person thinks he is right at the time. It will never end well for the person…NEVER.

Again, why do blacks resists arrest at a higher rate than whites? My theory which I’ve already espoused is that they have no positive adult male leadership at home. They grow up thinking that they can do whatever they like and there are no repercussions. Michael Brown is a very good example of that and I believe that this is the reason that he was killed. That and he was a 6’ 4" 350 pound bully who usually took what he wanted and did what he wanted prior to meeting up with Officer Darren Wilson.

Sad story.

Some of you sound like real experts in law enforcement. Why don’t you guys do the rest of humanity a favor and go put in an application at your local PD. Show them how to do their job. Maybe one day you can even show them how to shoot the gun out of someone’s hand or to shoot someone in the leg when they attack you.

4 Likes

Agree 100%.

I bounce at a local bar one night a week, which has given me a bit of insight into the challenges of dealing with unstable, intoxicated and violent people. It is amazing how quickly normal human interaction can fly right out the window with these people. Luckily I only need to do that when they come to me, which isn’t too often.

The cops go looking for these people. That doesn’t mean they can’t or don’t make mistakes, even inexcusable ones, but it is absolutely foolish to draw any conclusions from such limited information.

there should be no rush to judgement as that will do the criminal justice system no good(case in Point-Marilyn Mosbey rushed to charge the cops in Baltimore before all the facts were in and so far one hung jury,and 2 not guilty’s)…valid point about the video showing nothing of what happened before shots were fired…the girls story stinks,so far everyone is judging the story by what she is saying-the cops side isnt public yet(and yes a former 17 yr memeber of NYPD know how hard LE’s job is and would side with the cop till the facts come out…when cops suit up everyday by putiing a bulletproof vest and gunbelt on the first thought I hope I get home at the end of the day to see my loved ones-no one is saying Im going to go out there and smoke the first person that doesnt obey me,looks at me wrong come on people wake up)…i think this case as well as the case in Baton Rouge will come down to both susupects would be alive(probably in jail) if they had obeyed the cops order(on a further side note…the license in question has some problems because supposedly it was issued by another jurisdiction which would have made him illegally carrying said firearm…gun permits dont carry over jurisdiction lines)

I happen to agree - of course what I suggested would be doing the exact wrong thing.

However, as you pointed out previously, the officer is the one “rigorously trained” to handle a traffic stop. The common citizen who has just been pulled over for speeding is not. So why is the common citizen, who is not trained, not used to doing this every day, and having a normal stressed-out reaction (loppar’s story is another good example) the one who’s expected to follow perfect protocol?

Look, I’m not arguing that we should all be able to run around disobeying police commands. I am saying that a common citizen being approached by a police officer could easily make a mistake when they’re trying to do the “right” thing because they’re flustered, not used to this, etc. Did you watch the video I linked?

1 Like

you seem to forget the call was for a black man brandishing a gun…if it was a white man brandishing a gun the cops orders actions would have been the same

2 Likes

Nobody is bitching about Brown. If you recall, I and most others were on the officer’s side in that. And I still am.

Yeah, I used to bounce 5-6 nights a week for several years. It was interesting being in the thick of things.

Castile? No. This is false. That was not the call made when they stopped him.

I like it. I’m not sure why, but I do. One thing is certain, it has been a major eye-opener for me when it comes to witnessing a large spectrum of bad decision-making. This includes situations that go from normal to violent in the blink of an eye, for reasons found nowhere in the realm of logic.

Edit: The point being, cops deal with these types frequently, sometimes daily. Was Castile one of these types? None of us know, because we don’t know the events that led up to the shooting.

I liked it for the time I did it. I am glad I don’t do that anymore. It teaches situational awareness, and–at least if you’re good–the ability to de-escalate when possible.

I did watch the video and found that the Officers demeanor was far to hostile given the situation. But, he was very interested in the drivers passenger because she is a known prostitute arrested twice according to her. The driver was with the known prostitute claiming he had no idea and that is certainly possible but I doubt it.

As for the driver not stating he had a firearm immediately there are two problems. The first is that he did try to talk to the officer who in turn told him to shut up. The second is that the driver is a very poor communicator as he could have piped in quickly “I have a concealed carry permit and have a gun on my person.” He was slow but then again as I said the officer told him to remain quiet. I also want to add that the officers tone was hostile and demeaning and there was no need for either given the circumstances that I saw on the video.

I don’t recall that debate here on T Nation. However, I mentioned the Brown case because the public in general (not T Nation folks necessarily) were quick to attack the Police Officer, similar to this particular incident. But, when the entire case was investigated completely as we all now know Officer Wilson was cleared. By the way even though he was cleared and did nothing wrong he had to quit his job. Also, because of the negative notoriety by the liberal media his life ahs been pretty much in a shambles. Is that fair? Where is the apology by the press? Where is the apology by the mainstream liberal media? Not only was there no apology but the movement black lives matter still uses the taunt “hands up don’t shoot” which is pure fiction.

Police were called in response to a man pointing a gun at someone.

Edit: Didn’t notice Dapper’s post.

Deny, deny, deny. They will never admit they were wrong in the Brown case, and frankly, it doesn’t hurt their “movement” at all.

Oh I agree that stuff plays well with the low IQ types that are part of their movement and those that believe the lying filth that they spew.

Just heard on the news that the girlfriend has changed her story saying that her boyfriend never mentioned that he had a gun. Odd since she is claiming the opposite on her own video.

Edit: The officer is now swearing that he warned the driver several times to not reach for anything and remain still.

[quote=“zeb1, post:91, topic:219338, full:true”]

It sure does! Especially IF the officer told him to remain still and not reach for…whatever it is he was reaching for. Failure to obey the lawful order of a Police Officer is in itself a crime.[/quote]

Are you saying that it’s legal for an officer to kill me if I commit a crime?

Also, We DO NOT know if the officer told him to remain still.

We can reasonably assume that the officer told Castile to not reach for his gun. The fiancee also stated in the video that the cop asked Castile for his driver’s license.

That’s all we know.

We DO NOT know whether the officer told him to remain still.

And you do not get to assume that he must have, simply because he’s a trained individual.

Your claims seem ridiculous. From what we know, the fiancee started filming BECAUSE the officer shot Castile. She didn’t start filming simply because the officer stopped them.

From what I can tell, you’re applying intent to her actions without having any reasonable justification

Either come up with actual proof that she started filming for the reasons you’re implying, or stop implying.

It seems patently ridiculous for you to continue to urge that we don’t judge the cop because we don’t know the full story, while pretty much every single one of your posts concerning Castile and his fiancee carry some level of judgment.

No, I am saying that in most states it is a misdemeanor to disobey the lawful order of a Police Officer.