Phil Pfister WSM Training Video

I saw this on Alwyn Cosgrove’s blog yesterday (alwyncosgrove.blogspot.com) and I seriously stopped and said “wow” like I was in the new Vista commercial.

Some very interesting training methods going on here. Functional training working its magic:

Pfister talking about the training:

I’m really pretty speechless

[quote]Matt McGorry wrote:
I’m really pretty speechless[/quote]

I know. Unless I’m mistaken about my WSM history, Pfister didn’t even place in the top 10 for the last 5 years, then he makes a Ronnie Coleman-esque leap out of nowhere into the title.

Good for him though, for being open-minded enough to try something so unconventional. It’s funny, but for most of the video I caught myself thinking “Wait, so, he’s training like an athlete?” Not meant as a knock against strongman competitors by any means, just that this training goes so far against the grain.

[quote]Colucci wrote:
Matt McGorry wrote:
I’m really pretty speechless

I know. Unless I’m mistaken about my WSM history, Pfister didn’t even place in the top 10 for the last 5 years, then he makes a Ronnie Coleman-esque leap out of nowhere into the title.

Good for him though, for being open-minded enough to try something so unconventional. It’s funny, but for most of the video I caught myself thinking “Wait, so, he’s training like an athlete?” Not meant as a knock against strongman competitors by any means, just that this training goes so far against the grain.[/quote]

Yes its way out there but also has been beased in a strong build in the basics something not to forget he got freakish friggin strong by Lifting some basic BIG load a LOT. Still does. He then added this stuff and man worked for him.

I know me since making the switch from more PL base training Ive found Im adding more and more odd so called functional things as well thats where in lacking the most. Medlys ploys. etc etc yopu have to be strong as an ox but able to move as well transfer that strength in crazy ways for long distnace in comparison to say One max pull etc. just a different ball game

I guess what Im saying is I think his training is very interesting what is seen in the preveiw but also that many will go to far and put the cart before the horse and not build a BIG strong base before trying to transfer and build that “functional” aspect. Theyll swing to far one way way to soon. Phill could due to already having a very strong base the other way he attacked his weakness. The hard thing is finding and striking a balance in strongman ID where you are weak not where Phil was.

I for one will be getting this DVD I think there are some thing to learn be open to

Good thread Colucci
Phill

I think we’d also have to look at Phister’s previous weakpoints. I don’t know enough about it to really make a qualified judgement.

But if he’s been overtraining with heavy brutal movements for years as he basically alludes to in the “interview,” then perhaps it was just what he needed to give his body a break. And swiss ball bear crawls might be just the thing to fit the bill. Give him a little bit of conditioning while giving his body a break.

Not to mention, if conditioning was one of his past weakpoints, it could have been as simple as bringing up the weakest link in the chain.

-Matt

[quote]Phill wrote:
I guess what Im saying is I think his training is very interesting what is seen in the preveiw but also that many will go to far and put the cart before the horse and not build a BIG strong base before trying to transfer and build that “functional” aspect. [/quote]

That is really the core principle of things, yeah. Totally build a foundation before the extras. And there are other ways to get there, of course. But I think the most surprising thing is that the guy in the picture above was balancing on 2 swiss balls and jumping onto a bosu ball, and he freaking kicked ass.

The way you hear these training tools bashed on a regular basis around here, it’s good to see a dude use them and go all hardcore with the results. It’s like if Jay Cutler used Billy Blanks tae-bo as his only pre-Olympia cardio…or something like that.

That was a surprise, thanks for posting the videos.

Now thats interesting.

Although I’d really like to know how he balances his ‘functional training’ with the more traditional PL/Strongman stuff, e.g. what his 1 week schedule looks like.

[quote]Petrichor wrote:
Now thats interesting.

Although I’d really like to know how he balances his ‘functional training’ with the more traditional PL/Strongman stuff, e.g. what his 1 week schedule looks like.[/quote]

The full length DVD is two disks and from what I hear covers 12 weeks of his program (It only shows gym lifts though no event training for some reason?)

It is also About 60-80 bucks

It’s the fitness balls that did the trick.

In regards to him not even placing in the top 10 the past 5 years or so, you also have to consider the structure of the contest, since only the top 2 (I think) from each preliminary round go through to the final.

For example, in 2005 a Canadian Dominic (something?) took third place overall. Ironically, he placed 4th in the Canadian Championships earlier that year and none of the top three finishers in Canada made it through the WSM preliminary rounds.

[quote]Colucci wrote:
Phill wrote:
I guess what Im saying is I think his training is very interesting what is seen in the preveiw but also that many will go to far and put the cart before the horse and not build a BIG strong base before trying to transfer and build that “functional” aspect.

That is really the core principle of things, yeah. Totally build a foundation before the extras. And there are other ways to get there, of course. But I think the most surprising thing is that the guy in the picture above was balancing on 2 swiss balls and jumping onto a bosu ball, and he freaking kicked ass.

The way you hear these training tools bashed on a regular basis around here, it’s good to see a dude use them and go all hardcore with the results. It’s like if Jay Cutler used Billy Blanks tae-bo as his only pre-Olympia cardio…or something like that.[/quote]

`
For sure Colucci I agree we should be open to things try it and well see in the real.

Id like to say everyone also needs to look at the pic as well for another reason. The obvious reason of noticing how Phil had to get ripped and shredded down to sub 10% to be at his top level of performance. particular note to the rippling abdominal, and striated glutes. LOL

catch the sarcasm. the man aint obese but carries a bit of body fat apparently the amount he needs to perform at his chosen goal/sport and thats a sport that requires varied strength qualities. Just food for thought

Phill

[quote]Matt McGorry wrote:
I think we’d also have to look at Phister’s previous weakpoints. I don’t know enough about it to really make a qualified judgement.

But if he’s been overtraining with heavy brutal movements for years as he basically alludes to in the “interview,” then perhaps it was just what he needed to give his body a break. And swiss ball bear crawls might be just the thing to fit the bill. Give him a little bit of conditioning while giving his body a break.

Not to mention, if conditioning was one of his past weakpoints, it could have been as simple as bringing up the weakest link in the chain.

-Matt[/quote]

The interesting thing is that Phil’s main weaknesses have always been his static strength events, mainly the deadlift and the overhead press. So while doing this “functional” stuff he managed to bring up his lagging brute strength while also improving his conditioning and athleticism while gaining a signficant amount of weight.

Nick Osbourne (the guy who trained Phil) has posted on other forums that the “functional” stuff was just a small part of Phil’s program and there was plenty of heavy gym work also.

Danny