Phelps' Diet

We always knew that those “cut” guys coming out of prison weren’t stressing over which P+F meal to take before bed - or how many carbs they should eat per day. I wonder what Phelps’ BF % is:

Phelps’ diet - which involves ingesting 4,000 calories every time he sits down for a meal - resembles that of a reckless overeater rather than an Olympian.

Phelps lends a new spin to the phrase “Breakfast of Champions” by starting off his day by eating three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise.

He follows that up with two cups of coffee, a five-egg omelet, a bowl of grits, three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar and three chocolate-chip pancakes.

At lunch, Phelps gobbles up a pound of enriched pasta and two large ham and cheese sandwiches slathered with mayo on white bread - capping off the meal by chugging about 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

For dinner, Phelps really loads up on the carbs - what he needs to give him plenty of energy for his five-hours-a-day, six-days-a-week regimen - with a pound of pasta and an entire pizza.

He washes all that down with another 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

Phelps remains on course to at least equal Mark Spitz’s record of seven gold medals won at the 1972 Munich Games.

If I had to swim 5 hours a day, 6 days a week, I’d be eating about 12k in calories too.

breaking news: to spend a lot of energy you need a lot of food

news at 11

Just being in the water all day requires more calories.

1000 cals worth of energy drinks, isn’t that counterproductive as it would speed up his metabolism because of the caffiene, thus making the added cals pointless???

you’ve got to be kidding me with this post.

DG

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
1000 cals worth of energy drinks, isn’t that counterproductive as it would speed up his metabolism because of the caffiene, thus making the added cals pointless???

you’ve got to be kidding me with this post.

DG[/quote]

I’m pretty sure he didn’t write that himself.

I believe by energy drinks they mean endurance-type drinks such as Gatorade, not red bull

I believe it, that dude spends a ton of energy a day on working out. They stated what he does on a daily basis on the TV the other night and it was rediculas.

Quoted in a Tom Brokaw article that he eats 8,000 calories per day.

I had a person today tell me he eats 15,000. Are people THAT stupid nowadays?

8,000 is a lot of food but it’s about 1/2 of what I was told (and expected to believe).

Plus the guy is like 6’-5" and most likely has a naturally high metabolism. Couple that with his age and his workload and it’s not a fact worthy of discussion.

2 pounds of pasta every day is f-ing gross…

I mentioned this on another thread.

Not only does Phelps burn up a lot of calories; his partitioning of those calories to muscle is probably greater than most of us mere mortals.

Mufasa

I am sorry, guys, for not mentioning that I was simply doing a copy-and-paste job of that article. It was from the NY Post, via a link from the Drudge Report. I know, I know - that does not necessarily make it fact.

But let’s assume that he really does wolf-down 12,000 calories per day. I’m not at all saying it’s not possible, but I have a difficult time grasping the math behind how 12,000 calories are burned in a day. Even the 5 hours of his daily on-and-off swimming routine is maybe 5,000 calories burned (1,000 / hour average). Don’t we now have ~7,000 calories left to burn, daily, outside of exercise? I don’t profess to understand basal metabolic rates, but, all-in, the math behind “how he burns that extra 7,000 calories per day” is something that I just do not understand. And hopefully won’t be crucified for admitting to not understanding.

with all the exercise and eating he has to be doing everyday…

it begs the question…

who prepares the food?

That intake is awe inspiring. Even on my most decadent Cheat Days I’ve never come anywhere close to that much food.

says this is BS.

seriously people, 12000 calories? thats ridiculous.

It doesn’t seem that far fetched. A Norwegian olympic rower (Olaf Tufte) eats about 10000 calories a day as well. He doesn’t like it and often he needs to force feed himself chocolate to get enough calories.

These guys train like animals and they do it for many hours just about every single day. I’m not surprised they need a lot of fuel to do that.

Without worrying about the minor issues he obviously eats enough to swim 100km each week in 5-6 hour training sessions, with a body size of 6"5 with wingspan of 6"7, and be the most prolific winner of gold medals the Olympics has ever seen.

His RMR at that height if he only did 30minutes of cardio a day would probably 3000kcals anyway.

I find the logistics of it the hard part to believe. Preparing and EATING that takes so much time. Ask anyone here that’s bulking on 5k a day. That’s a pain in the ass.

Now say you train for the entire day, how you gonna spread 12k out like its nothing? That’s a sit down meal, that’s not a fucking granola bar here and there. That’s 4 or 5 very rich 3 course meals.

true it would be really hard to get all that down, but if your SWIMMING 5 hours a day + have a fast metabolism + the increase in metabolism youd get from the 5 hours of swimming = you wouldnt stop eating either.

but what i dont understand is why doesnt he eat better. i know hes trying to get dense cals in but come on… if he had a super clean diet with lots of extra cals hed probably faster and weigh less… or maybe not, thats just what im thinking. and im sure hes taking a crap load of beta alanine. i would be.