Phase I of Sample Off-Season Football Program

Just Posted in the off-season football thread.

The goal of this phase is to develop the capacity to produce power and be explosive. While the phase might build some muscle and strength, it is not the primary goal. It really is a phase to set up the stage for the ‘‘real’’ training. But for 90% of athletes, especially young ones, this phase will arguably be the most important.

Coach, I can’t thank you enough for this…so appreciative for your time and knowledge you share with us.

This looks great!

I wanted to know, if I have the time, could I split up the full body days so that I could workout more frequently in the week? I was thinking it may be advantageous to activate the nervous system more frequently but for shorter durations. Would that sort of practice make it easier and faster for me to “get in the zone” when I am doing sports and other workouts?

Also, to be honest, I can’t stand not going to the gym, I love the atmosphere and the rush!

[quote]BigJackedBro wrote:
This looks great!

I wanted to know, if I have the time, could I split up the full body days so that I could workout more frequently in the week? I was thinking it may be advantageous to activate the nervous system more frequently but for shorter durations. Would that sort of practice make it easier and faster for me to “get in the zone” when I am doing sports and other workouts?

Also, to be honest, I can’t stand not going to the gym, I love the atmosphere and the rush! [/quote]

Let me be clear on one thing: the football program is only the strength portion of the training. However it assumes that some track and agility work is done during the week, hence the off days.

While it is a great program, it is first and foremost a football program. If you are not a football player, I would likely recommend a different (albeit possibly a similar one) program.

How would it change for a non-football player?

[quote]mstorm wrote:
How would it change for a non-football player?[/quote]

IT’S A FOOTBALL PROGRAM!!! Do it if you are a football player. Don’t try to adapt it if you are not.

It’s like asking ‘‘how do you change a car for someone who doesn’t drive’’.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]mstorm wrote:

IT’S A FOOTBALL PROGRAM!!! Do it if you are a football player. Don’t try to adapt it if you are not.

It’s like asking ‘‘how do you change a car for someone who doesn’t drive’’.[/quote]

not exactly … what if he is asking how to change it for another sport…

then its like how would you change a porsche to make it better for a ferrari fan ?

and thats a reasonable question in my mind ?

[quote]blunt wrote:

[quote]mstorm wrote:

It’s like asking ‘‘how do you change a car for someone who doesn’t drive’’.[/quote]

not exactly … what if he is asking how to change it for another sport…

then its like how would you change a porsche to make it better for a ferrari fan ?

and thats a reasonable question in my mind ?[/quote]

I’m not saying that it isn’t a reasonable question. But when designing a program you should always start from scratch depending on the needs of the sport (and athlete), not take something that already exists and try to morph it. That’s the way I work. I’m not saying that it is the best or only way to do things, but that’s how I do it.

For that reason, getting asked “how do I modify the program to…” is one of the questions I hate the most.

I’m not saying that it isn’t a reasonable question. But when designing a program you should always start from scratch depending on the needs of the sport (and athlete), not take something that already exists and try to morph it. That’s the way I work. I’m not saying that it is the best or only way to do things, but that’s how I do it.

For that reason, getting asked “how do I modify the program to…” is one of the questions I hate the most.
[/quote]

well i see that and its properly clear to most that modifying a program from football to basketball is not just “replace bench press with Incling Bench press” and then its a whole other program ?

but to not stray too much off topic and make it a discussion about programming.

wont you agree that like 95% of all athletes use the same muscles to perform their sports so as long as its an explosive sport then theres not many athletes who wouldnt benefit from this program.

Its not like you hear all these athletes crying “oh i was going to be a pro but instead of benching 4 times a week i tried a real program but it was a football program and im a basketball player so even though i got stronger, faster and could jump higher my body just somehow stopped being able to play basket !”

I just tried the first workout of the first phase and I’m thoroughly impressed. My biggest problem with CNS intensive lifting has been a foggy head, usually following a max reps set, but sometimes after a near maximal effort. I was switched on for the entire workout and it reinforced something I already suspected, the contrast workouts work well for me.

The only question I have is, what is the best way to progress in the first phase? The volume and density is capped, and I don’t want to increase the weight so much that it becomes too heavy for the focus of the workout. Any suggestions?

[quote]blunt wrote:

[/quote]

well i see that and its properly clear to most that modifying a program from football to basketball is not just “replace bench press with Incling Bench press” and then its a whole other program ?

but to not stray too much off topic and make it a discussion about programming.

wont you agree that like 95% of all athletes use the same muscles to perform their sports so as long as its an explosive sport then theres not many athletes who wouldnt benefit from this program.

Its not like you hear all these athletes crying “oh i was going to be a pro but instead of benching 4 times a week i tried a real program but it was a football program and im a basketball player so even though i got stronger, faster and could jump higher my body just somehow stopped being able to play basket !”[/quote]

Wow. I love that your actually questioning/arguing with Christian Thibaudeau… you can obviously teach him a thing or two