T Nation

Pharmacology Books

Alright, my long interest in pharmacology is at it’s peak, and I’m looking into getting one of those big fat texts.

Any suggestions? Simply for my own personal knowledge; no pharm. courses or anything.

Two I’m looking at closely are. . .

Basic & Clinical Pharmacology - Katzung

And

Goodman & Gilman’s The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics - Hardman, Limbird, Gilman

Anybody with first hand experience with these? Cy, your opinion is welcome, too!

Thanks!

You should put that strong motivation to work by getting a good degree in Pharmacology. Think of it this way: if a book will teach you and motivate you, a degree will do that many times more.

Good luck.

[quote]diesel25 wrote:
You should put that strong motivation to work by getting a good degree in Pharmacology. Think of it this way: if a book will teach you and motivate you, a degree will do that many times more.

Good luck.[/quote]

Very good point, and something I have thought about.

But my interest in pharmacology falls slightly behind psychology and anthropology (which I’m double majoring in).

Certainly not ruling it out, but it’s something I’d have to put a lot more thought into before I just jump ship. :wink:

Thanks, though!

Complete your current degree first.

See, if you put too much on your plate, you start stretching yourself thin. It would take exceedingly long to complete either major, and in the long run you’ll be far less likely to finish either.

So, you’re right - get a good book, and put it off until you graduate. Then, you may consider it. But, be warned, you need a very high GPA if you attempt it. UConn for example will start requiring a 3.5 GPA of all prospective Pharmacy students this coming year, at least until their pool of candidates withers down somewhat. It is a very hard and challenging major - and one which the vast majority doesn’t complete. however, that should be that much more of a motivating factor for you, and one which gets you to work that much harder to be better than anybody else.