PFC Lynch

diesel said…

“That as opposed to a cute army girl who had the misfortune of finding herself in a conflict with iraqi forces and was made POW. Sure she was tough as nails for fighting till the end, and surviving with no food for 8 days. But she didnt endanger her life to protect or save someone’s life.”

here’s my whole thing dude.

How do you know what she did or didn’t do? how do you know she didn’t run into enemy to try and protect one of the other guys in her unit during the firefight?

answer. you don’t, you don’t know shit about the facts of the situation and what happened.

Now, I don’t know shit either, for all I know she locked up and curled into a ball in the middle of it all.

who knows?

diesel said…

“That as opposed to a cute army girl who had the misfortune of finding herself in a conflict with iraqi forces and was made POW. Sure she was tough as nails for fighting till the end, and surviving with no food for 8 days. But she didnt endanger her life to protect or save someone’s life.”

here’s my whole thing dude.

How do you know what she did or didn’t do? how do you know she didn’t run into enemy to try and protect one of the other guys in her unit during the firefight?

answer. you don’t, you don’t know shit about the facts of the situation and what happened.

Now, I don’t know shit either, for all I know she locked up and curled into a ball in the middle of it all.

who knows?

Not really interested in the topic but did want to correct some historical info, Roberts Ridge didnt involve a single Navy SEAL in the rescue, Rangers were used (I know because I lost a Ranger buddy there.) 2nd Point, Rangers/SFOD were primarily responsible for the rescue of Lynch as well. As the spokesman for CENTCOM said,“They lived true to their creed, to leave no man behind.”
RLTW!

Wow some stong opinions here. She fought till she ran out of ammo. She killed the enemy instead of surrendering. By all accounts she didn’t surrender…she was captured. That shows a lot of courage for anyone. It really shows a lot of courage coming from a young girl.

What’s a hero? Did she go above and beyond the call of duty. Apparently so. She could of surrendered w/o a fight. Instead she fought till the end and was captured. That rates pretty high in my book.

The Marines and the Special Ops. guys are they hero’s. Yeah I think so.

My two cents.

Oh boy.

In no way did I mean to belittle the cute army POW.
  You bet she's a hero for serving in the army, when put against the general population. My point was, you cant just go around giving a purple heart and a medal of honor to anyone and everyone. She deserves all the praise she's getting. Im just not sure her actions warrant all the medals and 'prizes' she's getting. Why? Simply because the truth is, it takes a special kind of soldier to say  'I may die from this, and it might be the stupidest thing ive ever done - but we're going in to take her out no matter what it takes.'

Diesel23 - I’m with you, man. My brother is a Marine over there in one of the more volitile areas (can’t remember the name, dammit). Am I proud of him? You betcha. Do I think he’s brave and deserves recognition for keeping our asses safe and comfy? Undoubtedly. Do I think he’s a “hero” because he’s there wearing a uniform, fighting for our nation? No. He’s doing his damn job. When he single-handedly draws enemy fire away from innocents, when he faces immeasurable danger to perform his given function, when he goes above and beyond the normal role of his outfit to save/capture/whatever - then he’s a hero. That’s not knocking his role, importance or my gratitude and indebtedness. It’s recognizing the difference between doing one’s duty, and exceeding one’s duty.

I dunno karma I think when one’s duty calls one in to hazardous situation to protect the lives of others is a hero, or are you lookin for a T-man killed 30 charlies with a broken leg one eye shrapnel through both kidneys crawling 5 miles up hill both ways in the snow armed with nothing but a toothpick and some mentos? That’s the difference between legends and heroes, those to be awarded and those just to be recognized.

Well good ole’ Webster says a hero is “one who shows great courage.” Duty is not synonymous with courage. One can definately be admired for both though. Is Lynch a hero? Wont really know until the story is sorted out…but to some extent a soldier’s duty is to be courageous. (Of course, maybe she got captured because she quit or surrendered because she was scared.) <—not saying that this is true, just a possibility that I would hope is not true.

In my mind, any one who dons a uniform to defend our country is a hero. Whether they get called to war is irrelevant. Maybe I’m wierd, but I have an appreciation for that sort of thing. Big ups to any one in the military.

I’m with diesal23 and Karma and I feel the same way about cops and firefighters. If it’s your job and your getting paid for doing it, your not a hero. If you display exratordinary courage during an incident while doing that job, than you might qualify as a hero.