T Nation

Petraeus Resigns

Cover up anyone?

“Remember General, you have two children.”

Did he not resign over his extra merrital affair?

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:
Did he not resign over his extra merrital affair?[/quote]

Not if you are a conspiracy theorist.

As for the OP, it probably would have served Petraeus well to have been reminded of his children.

Why would a starred General falsify and declare he had an affair when he did not? A man of his stature believes in accountability and responsibility for his actions. He admitted wrong doing and owned up to his mistake as a leader would. To assume he is lying and left because of a cover up is to question his character and believe he would rather shame himself and his family than shame a President.

He’s the CIA director. We’ll likely never know why he really resigned.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
He’s the CIA director. We’ll likely never know why he really resigned.

[/quote]

He will now not testify at next week’s Benghazi hearing.

LOLOLOL!

Call me crazy but I take him at his word. Not everything is a cover up HH. Sometimes people make mistakes and they have to step down.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Headhunter, you really come up with some crazy shit and it’s Crystal Clear from
other posts you’re not only a Christian Mocking Athiest, you’re also a Racist who clearly hates Hispanics, and a Conspiracy Theorist who will take any opportunity to try and connect unrelated events.
How the Mods keep you on this Forum is fuckin’ Mystery to me.
Move out of your Parent’s Basement a get a life will ya?

[quote]Karado wrote:

[/quote]

Seems the mods are in keeping with the spirit of the 1st amendment and I commend them for that. Regardless of the amount of batshit posted and trolling taking place I believe it’s for the best. Besides, some of the kooks give me a good laugh.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]Karado wrote:

[/quote]

Seems the mods are in keeping with the spirit of the 1st amendment and I commend them for that. Regardless of the amount of batshit posted and trolling taking place I believe it’s for the best. Besides, some of the kooks give me a good laugh.[/quote]

I agree for once with you sexMachine, who would have thought that haha.

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]Karado wrote:

[/quote]

Seems the mods are in keeping with the spirit of the 1st amendment and I commend them for that. Regardless of the amount of batshit posted and trolling taking place I believe it’s for the best. Besides, some of the kooks give me a good laugh.[/quote]

[/quote]

We don’t have to agree to have respect for each other. For one thing you’re bilingual which is an achievement I’ve yet to accomplish. Although I do enjoy ribbing you sometimes - in good fun of course. :slight_smile:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]Karado wrote:

[/quote]

Couldn’t agree more.

As to the topic of the thread… I want to believe it is one more reason to shit on Obama, but I doubt it.

Plus I’m pretty sure the CIA head could come up with better assets that the President from Chicago.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]Karado wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

We don’t have to agree to have respect for each other. For one thing you’re bilingual which is an achievement I’ve yet to accomplish. Although I do enjoy ribbing you sometimes - in good fun of course. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

I promise you it isnt an achievment to be bilingual if you are exposed to another language all the time since you are a baby. If norwegian was the lingua franca in the world as english is now, I promise you, you would be bilingual and I would most probably be monolingual( I hope thats a real word lol ). What I am trying to say is that me being bilingual is not something I have choosen and trained for, so I dont feel I can take any credit for it, but thanks anyway.

Btw even though we are often each others anti-thesis when it comes to political matters I can clearly see that you are well-read guy with lots of historical knowledge and that I respect and enjoy as a former history student. Also many of your posts keeps reminding me that I have alot of history yet to learn and that is both some what frustrating( lol ), but also motivational and that I thank you for.

Yes monolingual is a word. And achievement or not, you have an advantage over me there. Regarding history: there is NOTHING more important to developing wisdom than to study it. Just be sure to read all perspectives. I can assure you that I’ve read a great deal of leftist based history - even Chomsky. I read Manufacturing Consent when I was 15. If you can find it in Norwegian I would recommend anything by Winston Churchill. And classical history too. May be heavy going and time consuming but it’s worth it my friend. Keep reading and think critically. I’ve only recently delved properly into American history and it’s changed my perspective.

Am I the only one who thinks it’s ridiculous to let such a valuable asset as Gen. Petraeus resign over an affair that was (as far as I know) not related to the job he does for the US?

It’s like the Japanese in WWII having their high ranking officials commit seppuku. Well, it’s all well and good to be ashamed that you’ve done something, but wouldn’t you be better served “working off” your debt to society by serving it instead of removing yourself from it along with the valuable strategic, intellectual and leadership resources you provide?

It is a damned if you damned if you do not situation. Damned if you do let him resign because you lose his vast experience and intelligence. Damned if you do not let him resign and keep him on because you look like a house of cards. Obama cannot appear weak or cannot appear to tolerate poor judgement made by his top brass.

Another point is that whoever he had the affair with may be very well connected in government as a civil servant. The person could be a well known CIA personnel and the more information coming to light could be damaging to himself and his family.

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:
Obama cannot appear weak or cannot appear to tolerate poor judgement made by his top brass.[/quote]

Little late for that, well a lot late for that

Reports are it was the chick writing his bio.

Beans I meant the second term lol and you probably knew my point.

She probably made him feel like he was invincible. The stress of the job and her being in close proximity only exacerbates the situation. He was probably always away from his wife and kids and she was close and encouraged him to open up while praising him.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
Yes monolingual is a word. And achievement or not, you have an advantage over me there. Regarding history: there is NOTHING more important to developing wisdom than to study it. Just be sure to read all perspectives. I can assure you that I’ve read a great deal of leftist based history - even Chomsky. I read Manufacturing Consent when I was 15. If you can find it in Norwegian I would recommend anything by Winston Churchill. And classical history too. May be heavy going and time consuming but it’s worth it my friend. Keep reading and think critically. I’ve only recently delved properly into American history and it’s changed my perspective.[/quote]

Yhea I am at fault of not reading to much original texts, I have mostly read text books when it comes to the subject of history and therefor my knowledge of history probably reflects that, except for the hint of ultra-leftist influences from before my time at University ( lol ). Your advice about reading sources representing different wiews sounds like a wise one and I will keep that in mind. In that regard I have wanted read both original texts of both Burke and Adam Smith, perhaps I should start there even though they arent historians.

Ps. I didnt know Churcill wrote historical texts/books.