T Nation

Peter Schiff Super Money Bomb

[quote]Badunk wrote:
Since you seem to think that ‘government welfare subsidizes poverty’, implying that the ‘have-nots’ are riding on the coat-tails of the ‘haves’. The rich do as little as they can get away with.[/quote]

I don’t think that. I just know that not working and getting something is easier than working and getting very little.

Most poor people are just dumb though. It isn’t really their fault.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
erik206 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Badunk wrote:
People enter poverty willingly?

Did you really just type that?

What’s your background, if you don’t mind me asking?

They may not know they are willingly entering poverty by the choices they make but they willingly make those choices which lead to poverty, nonetheless.

Poverty is mostly voluntary.

I agree, like when a baby volunteers too come out of the vagina of a poor mother,lives in a shitty crime infested neighborhood and attends an overcrowded, underfunded public school, then if they’re one of the few that graduate good luck coming up with the money to attend college.

I do think that everyone controls there own destiny,but upward mobilility is becoming more and more difficult for children born into poverty while those of the rich very seldom fall into it.

So a child can never decide to get out of poverty once he becomes an adult?

Would you enslave your own poverty stricken child with these beliefs?

Yes, I agree some parents choose poverty for their children too but that doesn’t mean that child will be necessarily bound to that life.[/quote]

My point was just that as education has become more and more important in advancing economically,the quality of it in public schools has slid backwards and a college education has become more expensive too obtain.Children born into poverty now face a more difficult path out of it than those in past generations.

[quote]Badunk wrote:
Every cent of the poor person’s money goes back into the economy.

Not so with rich people.

Have I simplified it enough for you now?

Since you seem to think that ‘government welfare subsidizes poverty’, implying that the ‘have-nots’ are riding on the coat-tails of the ‘haves’. The rich do as little as they can get away with.[/quote]

Wait.

A rich person can spend hios money.

That means it goes back into the economy.

He can also save it.

That means it either goes to the bank or he puts it under his mattress.

That means it either goes back into the economy or it makes the other peoples money worth more.

Wheres the problem?

[quote]erik206 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
erik206 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Badunk wrote:
People enter poverty willingly?

Did you really just type that?

What’s your background, if you don’t mind me asking?

They may not know they are willingly entering poverty by the choices they make but they willingly make those choices which lead to poverty, nonetheless.

Poverty is mostly voluntary.

I agree, like when a baby volunteers too come out of the vagina of a poor mother,lives in a shitty crime infested neighborhood and attends an overcrowded, underfunded public school, then if they’re one of the few that graduate good luck coming up with the money to attend college.

I do think that everyone controls there own destiny,but upward mobilility is becoming more and more difficult for children born into poverty while those of the rich very seldom fall into it.

So a child can never decide to get out of poverty once he becomes an adult?

Would you enslave your own poverty stricken child with these beliefs?

Yes, I agree some parents choose poverty for their children too but that doesn’t mean that child will be necessarily bound to that life.

My point was just that as education has become more and more important in advancing economically,the quality of it in public schools has slid backwards and a college education has become more expensive too obtain.Children born into poverty now face a more difficult path out of it than those in past generations.[/quote]

Really?

You think the average American kid has it harder than the average Chinese or Indian kid?

Really?

[quote]orion wrote:
erik206 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
erik206 wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Badunk wrote:
People enter poverty willingly?

Did you really just type that?

What’s your background, if you don’t mind me asking?

They may not know they are willingly entering poverty by the choices they make but they willingly make those choices which lead to poverty, nonetheless.

Poverty is mostly voluntary.

I agree, like when a baby volunteers too come out of the vagina of a poor mother,lives in a shitty crime infested neighborhood and attends an overcrowded, underfunded public school, then if they’re one of the few that graduate good luck coming up with the money to attend college.

I do think that everyone controls there own destiny,but upward mobilility is becoming more and more difficult for children born into poverty while those of the rich very seldom fall into it.

So a child can never decide to get out of poverty once he becomes an adult?

Would you enslave your own poverty stricken child with these beliefs?

Yes, I agree some parents choose poverty for their children too but that doesn’t mean that child will be necessarily bound to that life.

My point was just that as education has become more and more important in advancing economically,the quality of it in public schools has slid backwards and a college education has become more expensive too obtain.Children born into poverty now face a more difficult path out of it than those in past generations.

Really?

You think the average American kid has it harder than the average Chinese or Indian kid?

Really?

[/quote]

Do you mean Chinese or Indian immigrants or those in their native country? As far as this country anything I’ve read on upward mobility in this country has said that its become more difficult,Im sure there would be some differences from race too race but I dont see how it would be relevant.

It’s no coincidence the number of first and second generation Mexican/Chinese/Italian/African people that come here to this day, work their ass off, pool their money and live with other family/friends, and in a year of two they have a family owned restaurant, convenience store, hotel,or the like. It’s called work ethic. You don’t have to be a genius or a trust fund baby. All you have to do is work your ass off, save your money, and live below your means.

It’s just as easy today as it was twenty years ago to make this happen as long as you have the mindset. As much as I’m against the immigration policy in this country, I have much more respect for the illegal in this country that hops the fence, landscapes for a few years, lives with 10 other people crammed into a two bedroom trailer, and in three years has a green card and is part owner in a family business, than I do for some leech that sits on his front porch a drinks all day on my dime.

It’s exactly that “It’s so hard to get ahead and it’s society’s fault so why should I try” mentality, and the liberal policies that created it, that are responsible for the majority of poverty in the U.S. and it is the same policies that are directly responsible for the destruction of the black family here,as well.( BTW, most poverty here is not poverty at all and is disrespectful to the truly poor in the world)

Those of you blaming the public school system and state funded universities for those problems, you are right, and you can tie all of that fault to the very reason I mentioned above. All of it is caused by a liberal, social frame of mind where no one is responsible for their situation and the producers of this country, no matter what or who, eventually become the enemy and are supposedly at fault for the down trodden.

I’m done. Sorry for the incoherent rant. I just polished off half a fifth of Makers Mark.

The poor are poor because they are lazy and unmotivated. Its the truth. There is so much opportunity in the US. I am an anchor baby and so are all my relatives. We are the first generation of transplants from Mexico and our folks did it legally.

I have had great success. My cousin goes to Notre Dame studying architecture on a full 5 year ride. His parents never made more than 30k a yr at any point of there life, but they saved up since he was little. Like denv23 is saying, this people who are poor is by choice, 95 percent of the time.

My pops is a plant manager at a major company, he came here not knowing at damn word of English. Now he leads a plant of 500 employees. He studied every night after work and made it happen. It just pisses me off that I see all this lazy ass people complaining. Shit a good friend of mine works at a clinic and people who are illegals bitch at them when medicaid does not cover everything.
Im just finishing denv23 rant.

[quote]Badunk wrote:
Who pays lawyers to find tax loopholes so they don’t have to pay their fair share?

Who sends their money abroad to offshore accounts so that it won’t be taxed?

Who puts houses/cars/bank accounts in their wives’ names so they can hide their true wealth?

Who hides their valuables in secret safety deposit boxes?

Yes, you’ve guessed it! THE POOR! Yay!

Whereas every dollar of the rich person’s wealth goes straight back into the economy in the form of food, rent/mortgage payments, utility bills, pension/college funds, car payments, overdraft charges, etc.

Oh, wait! I think I might have got that the wrong way round.[/quote]

I think you need to smarten up. There’s enough blame to go around in any economy:

Who works “under the table” and never declares a dime of income?

Who either does not declare, or under declares their tips when working as a waiter, waitress, or in other similar service jobs?

Who is most likely avoid taxes by bartering when obtaining goods and services?

Human beings, rich or poor, are flawed.

That’s a very good point and I take that on board.

A much better answer than “the poor are poor coz they’re lazy and stupid”.

[quote]Badunk wrote:
That’s a very good point and I take that on board.

A much better answer than “the poor are poor coz they’re lazy and stupid”.[/quote]

The poor aren’t poor because they’re lazy or stupid NOW. They were lazy or stupid AT SOME OTHER POINT in there life. Which is why a person can be mildly intelligent and decently hard working and still be poor; they knocked a girl up in High School, didn’t finish High School, or decided to start smoking crack as a teenager.

Most poverty, IMO, stems from stupid shit people do when they’re young, and they get stuck in that self-perpetuated cycle by truly believing they can’t rise out of it. Some of them truly can’t but they have no one but themselves to blame for their misfortunes (for the most part).

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Badunk wrote:
Who pays lawyers to find tax loopholes so they don’t have to pay their fair share?

Who sends their money abroad to offshore accounts so that it won’t be taxed?

Who puts houses/cars/bank accounts in their wives’ names so they can hide their true wealth?

Who hides their valuables in secret safety deposit boxes?

Yes, you’ve guessed it! THE POOR! Yay!

Whereas every dollar of the rich person’s wealth goes straight back into the economy in the form of food, rent/mortgage payments, utility bills, pension/college funds, car payments, overdraft charges, etc.

Oh, wait! I think I might have got that the wrong way round.

I think you need to smarten up. There’s enough blame to go around in any economy:

Who works “under the table” and never declares a dime of income?

Who either does not declare, or under declares their tips when working as a waiter, waitress, or in other similar service jobs?

Who is most likely avoid taxes by bartering when obtaining goods and services?

Human beings, rich or poor, are flawed.

[/quote]

Oi!

I object to presenting under declaring tips or evading taxes in any other way as a flaw.

That is self defense and not a flaw.