T Nation

Pete Rubish Hyperextensions

I recently seen Pete Rubish did a 435 something extension and I did some more digging to find hes been doing these for years. It only makes sense that this exercise is a pretty decent part of petes ability to lock out some serious ass weight in a relatively bad position at the top of his pull. I decided to try out the extentsions today. HOLY CRAP. I'm not at petes level of deadlift but I'm by no means a beginner. It took me 45 minutes to get through 5 sets of 15 with just the bar. No lie I was more pumped in my ass and certain parts of my back than any other time I've been lifting. I've ran smolov,super squats, bulgarian you name it I've ran it, nothing even compared to this.

Just wanted to state that if your lockout is not the better half of the deadlift and you dont do these. I highly recommend it.

Ya I like doing those too, but my gym now doesn’t have one of those roman chairs or whatever they are called. I liked to use a really heavy dumbbell too and just focus on using my glutes to bring me up. Definitely an underrated movement in my opinion.

This thread’s title made me think “ah, all that ground beef and instant mashed potatoes finally caught up with him.” lol

But really, I think heavy back raises in general are underrated. Barbells, dumbbells, anything.

I found hyperextensions to be one of the best assistance lifts when deadlifting conventional. Since switching to sumo I haven’t done them in a long time. But they should definitely be considered for deadlifters that don’t cheat.

[quote]kollak95 wrote:
This thread’s title made me think “ah, all that ground beef and instant mashed potatoes finally caught up with him.” lol[/quote]
He made one too many freaking delicious foods videos ToT

Orlando Green also does these, I believe that’s where Pete got the idea. If I remember correctly, Orlando was pulling close to 900.

Anyone try these why’ll resting the bar on your back instead of holding them? I was talking about this exercise at the gym the other night with one of the owners and said it’s a staple in any routine his athletes follow.

[quote]cparker wrote:
Ya I like doing those too, but my gym now doesn’t have one of those roman chairs or whatever they are called. I liked to use a really heavy dumbbell too and just focus on using my glutes to bring me up. Definitely an underrated movement in my opinion.[/quote]

Also, sorry to hijack but Cparker you’re a big mofo. How old are you? I’ve been meaning to ask. I don’t really remember seeing you post back in 2008.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Anyone try these why’ll resting the bar on your back instead of holding them? [/quote]

I havent before but I think I’ll give em a try.

Since there’s a decent amount of traffic in here.

What are some other non deadlift/assistance exercises to increase deadlift lockouts?

Im going to be straight up right now, ever since my deadlift has hit 545+ everytime I get around to maxing I can get 675,700 past my knees. Been like that for 2 years, just getting to work on my lockout now because first time i pulled 600 my squat was only 405 and theyve been a huge focus of mine.

Also what are some thoughts on large deficit deadlifts (>5inches) for lockout strength?

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

[quote]cparker wrote:
Ya I like doing those too, but my gym now doesn’t have one of those roman chairs or whatever they are called. I liked to use a really heavy dumbbell too and just focus on using my glutes to bring me up. Definitely an underrated movement in my opinion.[/quote]

Also, sorry to hijack but Cparker you’re a big mofo. How old are you? I’ve been meaning to ask. I don’t really remember seeing you post back in 2008. [/quote]

Im 6’1" and about 275 right now. I’m 25, I started reading stuff here in 08 but I was a scrawny kid, like 170lbs, couldnt bench my BW and didnt know how to lift in general. I joined the army in 2010 and started powerlifting in 2011 at around 200lbs.

[quote]Reps for Ozzy wrote:

What are some other non deadlift/assistance exercises to increase deadlift lockouts?

Im going to be straight up right now, ever since my deadlift has hit 545+ everytime I get around to maxing I can get 675,700 past my knees. Been like that for 2 years, just getting to work on my lockout now because first time i pulled 600 my squat was only 405 and theyve been a huge focus of mine.

Also what are some thoughts on large deficit deadlifts (>5inches) for lockout strength?

[/quote]

Damn dude, I’m actually in a similar situation. How tall are you?

When I first pulled 600 when I was 21, I wasn’t even squatting. To this day my squat is terrible compared to my deadlift. 4 months ago I pulled 755 4 weeks out from my competition. The following week I set an all time PR on squat with 505 :confused: It’s terrible, and I know it. It’s holding me back from totaling elite, and I’m not getting any younger.

When I pull the same thing happens, I get it to mid thigh and its a bitch to lock out. What I did was, in my off season I would work deficits (no more than 2" to answer your question) block pulls, stiff legged deadlifts and murder my back nearly ever workout with rowing. Then, prepping for the meet I simply followed a program by Josh Bryant for 12 weeks and got a HUGE PR 4 weeks out (55lbs). Didn’t end up competing due to personal reasons, but this is what I found most effective so far for my pull.

[quote]cparker wrote:

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

[quote]cparker wrote:

Also, sorry to hijack but Cparker you’re a big mofo. How old are you? I’ve been meaning to ask. I don’t really remember seeing you post back in 2008. [/quote]

Im 6’1" and about 275 right now. I’m 25, I started reading stuff here in 08 but I was a scrawny kid, like 170lbs, couldnt bench my BW and didnt know how to lift in general. I joined the army in 2010 and started powerlifting in 2011 at around 200lbs.
[/quote]

Damn, good shit.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

[/quote]

When I first pulled 600 when I was 21, I wasn’t even squatting. To this day my squat is terrible compared to my deadlift. 4 months ago I pulled 755 4 weeks out from my competition. The following week I set an all time PR on squat with 505 :confused: It’s terrible, and I know it. It’s holding me back from totaling elite, and I’m not getting any younger.

When I pull the same thing happens, I get it to mid thigh and its a bitch to lock out. What I did was, in my off season I would work deficits (no more than 2" to answer your question) block pulls, stiff legged deadlifts and murder my back nearly ever workout with rowing. Then, prepping for the meet I simply followed a program by Josh Bryant for 12 weeks and got a HUGE PR 4 weeks out (55lbs). Didn’t end up competing due to personal reasons, but this is what I found most effective so far for my pull. [/quote]

Freaking sweet man. Im 5’11 295 19 years old. Im gonna interview ya quick. In your offseason how many times a week did you do the deficit,blocks, and stiff legs? Whats your weight and height? Is that Josh Bryant program available to the public? Also just for shits whats your bench?

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

[/quote]

When I pull the same thing happens, I get it to mid thigh and its a bitch to lock out. What I did was, in my off season I would work deficits (no more than 2" to answer your question) block pulls, stiff legged deadlifts and murder my back nearly ever workout with rowing. Then, prepping for the meet I simply followed a program by Josh Bryant for 12 weeks and got a HUGE PR 4 weeks out (55lbs). Didn’t end up competing due to personal reasons, but this is what I found most effective so far for my pull. [/quote]

Freaking sweet man. Im 5’11 295 19 years old. Im gonna interview ya quick. In your offseason how many times a week did you do the deficit,blocks, and stiff legs? Whats your weight and height? Is that Josh Bryant program available to the public? Also just for shits whats your bench? [/quote]

Thats what my deadlift workout consisted of… deficits, block pulls and if I felt burnt out I would throw the still legs into my squat workout. I didn’t see the purpose of pulling from the floor really, and only did a handful of times during my off season, which was about 4 months. I also used a texas squat bar to pull with, and later switched to a competition grade eleiko bar (swear to god that thing is stiffer) and I think that made a difference once I moved back over to the texas deadlift bar.

I’m 6’3, 255 pounds.

Well yeah, but you’re gonna have to buy it. It’s called “metroflex gym powerbuilding basics” and has a ton of info in it. I used a program (it has many) specifically layed out for a guy named BJ Whitehead. It was a fun routine and I plan on running something like it for my next meet. Alot of cluster sets, speet squats, heavy deadlifts and dead benching.

My best bench is 405, although I was 285 when I did that. Honestly haven’t got to test my bench in a while because Im kind of scared to haha. At my current bodyweight I’d imagine it’s more around 375… bench seems to be the only thing to go down with weight loss.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

[/quote]

Freaking sweet man. Im 5’11 295 19 years old. Im gonna interview ya quick. In your offseason how many times a week did you do the deficit,blocks, and stiff legs? Whats your weight and height? Is that Josh Bryant program available to the public? Also just for shits whats your bench? [/quote]

Thats what my deadlift workout consisted of… deficits, block pulls and if I felt burnt out I would throw the still legs into my squat workout. I didn’t see the purpose of pulling from the floor really, and only did a handful of times during my off season, which was about 4 months. I also used a texas squat bar to pull with, and later switched to a competition grade eleiko bar (swear to god that thing is stiffer) and I think that made a difference once I moved back over to the texas deadlift bar.

I’m 6’3, 255 pounds.

Well yeah, but you’re gonna have to buy it. It’s called “metroflex gym powerbuilding basics” and has a ton of info in it. I used a program (it has many) specifically layed out for a guy named BJ Whitehead. It was a fun routine and I plan on running something like it for my next meet. Alot of cluster sets, speet squats, heavy deadlifts and dead benching.

My best bench is 405, although I was 285 when I did that. Honestly haven’t got to test my bench in a while because Im kind of scared to haha. At my current bodyweight I’d imagine it’s more around 375… bench seems to be the only thing to go down with weight loss. [/quote]

Alright man thanks for all the information. I found a free copy online for anyone interested -> https://www.sendspace.com/file/pv9xdr. About the bench I’m in the same boat I’m right on the edge of 365 sitting near 300 definetly not one of my strong suits haha.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:

[/quote]

I’m 6’3, 255 pounds.

My best bench is 405, although I was 285 when I did that. Honestly haven’t got to test my bench in a while because Im kind of scared to haha. At my current bodyweight I’d imagine it’s more around 375… bench seems to be the only thing to go down with weight loss. [/quote]

Alright man thanks for all the information. I found a free copy online for anyone interested -> https://www.sendspace.com/file/pv9xdr. About the bench I’m in the same boat I’m right on the edge of 365 sitting near 300 definetly not one of my strong suits haha. [/quote]

Fuck! I searched for an hour and couldnt find a free copy, haha.

Will Pete Rubish Hyperextensions make me want to deadlift heavy 27 times a week and underperform in meets?

[quote]Discobolus wrote:
Will Pete Rubish Hyperextensions make me want to deadlift heavy 27 times a week and underperform in meets?[/quote]

There’s no doubt in my mind haha

I actually really admire Pete Rubish. I subscribe to his YouTube channel and think he’s very intense, dedicated, and a very talented deadlifter. I just have to wonder if he lives up to his potential the way he trains.

[quote]Discobolus wrote:
I actually really admire Pete Rubish. I subscribe to his YouTube channel and think he’s very intense, dedicated, and a very talented deadlifter. I just have to wonder if he lives up to his potential the way he trains. [/quote]

His training as of late is new and improved IMO, with the rpe system hes using and what not. I think after he gets back into squatting again his deadlift numbers should start movin again. At the very least his new rpe sstem has his bench moving alright