PETA Strikes Again

Wow, are you kidding me?

[quote]Jesse Cohen wrote:

Wow, are you kidding me? [/quote]

Need a better link or a reference for a search.

[quote]human743 wrote:
Jesse Cohen wrote:

Wow, are you kidding me?

Need a better link or a reference for a search.[/quote]

3 hours ago

GURNEE, Ill. - People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants Six Flags Great America to scrap its Halloween-themed cockroach-eating promotion.

A spokeswoman for the animal rights organization says the contest at the amusement park’s FrightFest is “gratuitously cruel.”

The park in Gurnee, Ill., is joining other Six Flags parks in offering unlimited line-jumping privileges to anyone who eats a live Madagascar hissing cockroach. The bugs are up to three inches long.

The contest begins next month.

Amusement park officials are defending their menu choice. Great America spokesman Jim Taylor says the bugs are nutritious, high in protein and fat free.

[quote]mazilla wrote:

The park in Gurnee, Ill., is joining other Six Flags parks in offering unlimited line-jumping privileges to anyone who eats a live Madagascar hissing cockroach.
[/quote]

Unlimited line-jumping?? Thats awesome. I drive by this park everyday. I haven’t been in forever due to the crowds. Might have to build up a taste for roaches now.

hahahahaha man.

I think we need to get both sides of the story and ask the cockroaches what they think about it.

I have a PETA related question:

Since Pam Anderson has Hepatitis C, what is she going to do about treatment? The Interferon/Ribavirin therapy surely was tested on animals.

[quote]gojira wrote:

Since Pam Anderson has Hepatitis C, what is she going to do about treatment? The Interferon/Ribavirin therapy surely was tested on animals.

[/quote]

Thats not fair and you know it, Gojira.

You can’t go using reason and pointing out hypocracy in matters involving PETA.

[quote]gojira wrote:

[/quote]

As long as she doesn’t eat live coackroaches she is OK.

I know she desn’t wear fur but I bet she has leather.

I would soooo do this. Unlimited line jumping just to eat a cockroach? Oh yeah, i’m there.

It is “gratuitously cruel”. By its very nature we are supposed to get enjoyment from some other person’s or some other creature’s suffering. Some will enjoy the suffering of the cockroach and some will enjoy the suffering of the person eating it, but enjoying the suffering is what this is all about.

Comparing this to a scientist using lab rats for curing hepititis is a poor comparison. The scientist causes suffering to the lab rat because he does not see a way around it. So you may not care about the rat because you feel it is used productively to cure a disease. But you would feel differently if a child brought the rat to school and bit its head off for show and tell.

What I love about PETA is that they are such a ridiculous organisation that nobody in their right mind can take them seriously. Thank God they dont take a more measured, softley softly approach or their just plain wrong ideals might gain more support.

For example, they actually want to ban fishing. Apparently we should not eat fish… WTF! Does anybody know a stronger term of exclamation than WTF because I need to use it. WTFF? WTFFF?

Apparently “fish are complex and intelligent individuals” and “lead complex intellectual lives”.

I also need another term to express that sort of laughter that makes your eyes water. That uncontrollable giggling where you have to think of something else so that you can stop laughing so hard and actually breathe again.

http://www.fishinghurts.com/index.asp

Right must go, Im off to have a discussion with my goldfish about Confucianism and its derivatives.

Would they feel better if we cloned them then fed people the clones? PETA would totally flip!

I don’t understand how people can say insects are high in protein. They weigh what? 5 grams max? ok even if the insects were PURE protein, that’s 5 grams of protein. Amazingly high eh?

[quote]dre wrote:
I would soooo do this. Unlimited line jumping just to eat a cockroach? Oh yeah, i’m there.[/quote]

Are you sure…? This is a Lady Madagascar H.C.

Check out the Roach-Cam at the University of South Carolina:

http://cricket.biol.sc.edu/usc-roach-cam.html

ADULT MALE & FEMALE

Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches are large, wingless, live-bearing cockroaches that may be the best starter cockroach species. They’re relatively common, inexpensive, and very interesting additions to any collection, as well as great food items for reptiles, large tarantulas, and large centipedes. Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches have a tough exoskeleton for protection, for they do not possess wings like many other cockroach species. They can also produce a loud hissing sound to scare away predators. Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches generally live 2 to 3 years as adults, but some adults can live for up to 5 years. They can be raised in large numbers in a matter of months, yet are not a pest species. Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches have been used as creepy effects in movies for many years as well. The Madagascar Hissing Cockroach makes an amazing, exotic, and easy-to-care for insect pet!

I don’t care, I’m not eating one!

[quote]Jesse Cohen wrote:

Wow, are you kidding me? [/quote]

Jesse, I thought you were a PETA activist. I mean from your bodybuilding pictures it doesn’t look like you ingest a whole lot of protein. hahahaha.

[quote]onewall wrote:
But you would feel differently if a child brought the rat to school and bit its head off for show and tell. [/quote]

That would be…awesome!

DB

[quote]onewall wrote:
It is “gratuitously cruel”. By its very nature we are supposed to get enjoyment from some other person’s or some other creature’s suffering. Some will enjoy the suffering of the cockroach and some will enjoy the suffering of the person eating it, but enjoying the suffering is what this is all about.

Comparing this to a scientist using lab rats for curing hepititis is a poor comparison. The scientist causes suffering to the lab rat because he does not see a way around it. So you may not care about the rat because you feel it is used productively to cure a disease. But you would feel differently if a child brought the rat to school and bit its head off for show and tell. [/quote]

Shit, as long as the rat was clean, I’d give it to my kid. Eating animals is eating animals is okay, no matter how you slice them.

[quote]onewall wrote:

Comparing this to a scientist using lab rats for curing hepititis is a poor comparison. The scientist causes suffering to the lab rat because he does not see a way around it. So you may not care about the rat because you feel it is used productively to cure a disease. But you would feel differently if a child brought the rat to school and bit its head off for show and tell. [/quote]

You don’t know me very well, LOL. I have often said in the past, the day that PETA starts picketing the Orkin laboratory is the day I might pay attention to them. My problem with PETA has always been that they only “protect” the cute and furry, or artificially selected animals. Their sole purpose is to separate you from your dollars by tugging at your heart strings. They are not an environmental group and do nothing to protect habitats or endangered species.

Many celebs are sucked into this thinking it to be a noble cause while not understanding that many crucial medical procedures rely on animal testing. How many PETA supporters will refuse a blood transfusion or chemotherapy or any other procedure that was developed through animal testing?

Hence my question about Pam Anderson. Did she allow them to use general anesthesia during her “augmentation” operations? When they drew her blood sample to test her for Hep C, did she not realize that this procedures and subsequent testing methods were most likely tested on animals first?

Now allow me to point out that I have always been horrified by the casual nature with which some animals lives are extiguished for the sake of our entertainment. I always wondered if PETA protested the Fear Factor show, as they always had an insect eating contest.

Somehow our society thinks of insects as something less than animals, as something that is just in our way.

Let’s try this:
I’ll replace the cockroaches with puppies and see how you guys repsond to the article.

[i]GURNEE, Ill. - People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants Six Flags Great America to scrap its Halloween-themed puppy-eating promotion.

A spokeswoman for the animal rights organization says the contest at the amusement park’s FrightFest is “gratuitously cruel.”

The park in Gurnee, Ill., is joining other Six Flags parks in offering unlimited line-jumping privileges to anyone who eats a live puppy. The puppies are up to twelve inches long.

Amusement park officials are defending their menu choice. Great America spokesman Jim Taylor says the puppies are nutritious, high in protein and fat free.
[/i]

Completely different gut response, eh?

Allow me to point out again that I am not a PETA supporter. However, I am a big “insect rights” supporter.

[quote]gojira wrote:
You don’t know me very well, LOL. I have often said in the past, the day that PETA starts picketing the Orkin laboratory is the day I might pay attention to them. My problem with PETA has always been that they only “protect” the cute and furry, or artificially selected animals. Their sole purpose is to separate you from your dollars by tugging at your heart strings. They are not an environmental group and do nothing to protect habitats or endangered species.

Many celebs are sucked into this thinking it to be a noble cause while not understanding that many crucial medical procedures rely on animal testing. How many PETA supporters will refuse a blood transfusion or chemotherapy or any other procedure that was developed through animal testing?

Hence my question about Pam Anderson. Did she allow them to use general anesthesia during her “augmentation” operations? When they drew her blood sample to test her for Hep C, did she not realize that this procedures and subsequent testing methods were most likely tested on animals first?

Now allow me to point out that I have always been horrified by the casual nature with which some animals lives are extiguished for the sake of our entertainment. I always wondered if PETA protested the Fear Factor show, as they always had an insect eating contest.

Somehow our society thinks of insects as something less than animals, as something that is just in our way.

Let’s try this:
I’ll replace the cockroaches with puppies and see how you guys repsond to the article.

[i]GURNEE, Ill. - People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants Six Flags Great America to scrap its Halloween-themed puppy-eating promotion.

The park in Gurnee, Ill., is joining other Six Flags parks in offering unlimited line-jumping privileges to anyone who eats a live puppy. The puppies are up to twelve inches long.

Amusement park officials are defending their menu choice. Great America spokesman Jim Taylor says the puppies are nutritious, high in protein and fat free.
[/i]

Completely different gut response, eh?

Allow me to point out again that I am not a PETA supporter. However, I am a big “insect rights” supporter.[/quote]

Very good points.

However, anyone that can eat a live 10 pound mammal deserves way more than line-jumping priviliges at an amusement park.

That being said, if I saw somebody being cruel to a puppy, they’d better hope a human-rights group jumps in and saves their ass before I get to them.

Whether it’s just human emotion or what, I do indeed get much more worked up over a mammal getting hurt than an insect, for example.

I mean, really, do you get just as upset at somebody stepping on an ant as you would if you saw somebody stomping on the head of a puppy?