Persuasive Speech Topics

So, I have to do a persuasive speech on any topic. I’m hoping for something relatively controversial.

Any ideas?

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
So, I have to do a persuasive speech on any topic. I’m hoping for something relatively controversial.

Any ideas?[/quote]

There are so many. Some that come to mind right now:

immigration (building the wall)
iraq war
abortion
birth control
capital punishment
gun control
child abuse
cloning
homosexuality
steroids
split vs full body workout (jk)

jet

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

Any ideas?[/quote]

Bah, you should just recognize that there are limits to the powers of persuasive speech.

That’s funny, we’re doing persuasive speaking in our speech class right now as well. I’m doing mine on steroid legalization. Our speech prof. told us that we could do something that affects the whole U.S., but you might get more bang for your buck by choosing a topic that applies more locally to where you are.

[quote]Jetric9 wrote:
There are so many. Some that come to mind right now:

split vs full body workout (jk)

jet[/quote]

Oh man, jet is just killing me lately.

rrjc, nutrition is also a touchy topic for the average American. You could always “persuade” your classmates to clean up their diets and start a food log. Or at least try to kill off the remnants of the 80’s low-fat dogma.

silicone vs latex.

DB

Who’s better, Kirk or Picard?

Seriously, now…did you see the movie “Thank-you for Smoking”? You MUST see it. The discussions between the dad and son about persuasive speech are very clever and well-written.

22’s, 24’s, 26’s, or 28’s? A beginners tutorial for selecting the right dub for your whip.

why to buy a monster truck

Don’t do something that is too popular.
You’ll look like everybody else in class.

Do something about sex. That gets people excited and they will remember it.

Something like, oh I dunno? Maybe Cooch vs. Pooper?

“Why you should sleep with me”

Ah yes, rhettorical communications. I enjoyed the class, thought it taught some good skills here and there. Unfortunately, my uni has now dropped it from its list of core classes…

Anyway, I really didn’t do TOO many serious speeches. For my persuasive speech I did the Campbell’s VS. Progresso’s canned soup debate. As far as other topics; I think mostly everyone else chose serious topics like environmental issues, building homes for the poor, and why one shouldn’t drown puppies, etc etc

why milk is bad, thats what i did one of mine on.

and the monster truck one would be so damn funny, i would think about that one too.

[quote]Mister T. wrote:
SkyzykS wrote:
Don’t do something that is too popular.
You’ll look like everybody else in class.

Do something about sex. That gets people excited and they will remember it.

Something like, oh I dunno? Maybe Cooch vs. Pooper?

On a more serious note, you could do a topic about sex with condoms, as opposed to sex without condoms.

Be sure to be very graphic and list the pros and cons of each. In the speech class I took, visuals (be it overhead, powerpoint, or ahem videos) were usually required.[/quote]

Well sure, video assistance is a great device, but interactive learning is in most cases, the most effective.

This would probably leave the audience best suited to arrive at an educated conclusion.

Im doing mine on Why Duke is better than Michigan State :smiley: I have a kid in my class and we give each other crap about the other team.

You could do on the moon landing conspiracy.