Personality In & Out Of the Gym

This may seem like a stupid question, but what are all of you like at the gym lifting compared to your daily life? I am a fairly nice guy in my daily life, but in the gym I am very edgy and mean. I am guessing that a lot of us can be compared to Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde, and of course Dr. Jekyl in the gym creating and Mr. Hyde in our daily life to seem socially acceptable.

Yup, total bitch in the gym (in terms of attitude) since. 1) I do NOT want to be approachable. 2)I’m not there to socialize and “make friends”. But I’m really a VERY nice and sweet person grin

I kind of like this question…
Outside of the gym - I’m pretty laid back, do my best to just keep my mind on my own work and just try to make people smile.

Inside the gym i’m intense - not like I scream or grunt… actually i’m almost completely silent for the hour or so when i’m in there. I just keep focused on what I’m doing, always check my form and tempo and occasionally just seeing whats happening around me while i rest.

I’m a nice guy in and out of the gym. Polite and respectful. I try not to be rude to anyone either. If someone asks me a question while I’m at the gym, I answer them. I don’t talk while actually performing a set, and if someone is carrying on a conversation, I will do my set while they are talking and answer when I am finished. I’m not the biggest guy in the gym, but I’ve been there for over 4 years, and everyone sees constant improvement with me, so I get questions on training and nutrition quite often. I’m always glad to help out. When I first started a few years ago, I lacked certain info, and I was delighted to receive help from veterans. I am not a hater either. If I notice someone making great progress or busting their ass, I tell em’. Where all here for the same reason (or at least most of us are.) I appreciate compliments, and so do others. I tell someone if they look good. (I’m not queer either.) But all in all, I bust my ass, and it shows, but I don’t let it change who I am or how I act. And I’ve never timed my “rest intervals”, or not answered anyone because they were cutting into my workout…and I’ll glady compare gains with anyone, limp pec and all.

I’m very laid back outside the gym. Nice guy, kind of shy, keep to myself a lot. In the gym, I can be a bit of an ass. One time I totally lost it on one of the gym’s personal trainers. He unloaded the leg press machine which I was using. I had gone to get a drink of water and in the meantime a cute girl had gone up to the machine and I guess she asked him if anyone was using it. He probably got an immediate stiffy and proceeded to unload the machine. I mean, c’mon! The thing had about 800 lbs of weight on it and my training journal, pen and protein shake were sitting right beside it. I tore into him pretty good.

C’mon now. It’s ok to be intense in the gym and not want to be bothered while concentrating on your workout. But if you’re nice outside the gym, you should be nice inside the gym too. You can be unapproachable without being an “ass” or “mean”. If you keep to yourself, no one will really bother you anyway.

I strive to be the same person all the time. Approachable, friendly. Of course, I work out at home, so I really don’t have any gym in which to have some alternate personality.

I don’t really have a personality in the gym. I go there to work out - not to make friends.

I'm polite to everyone there, but I don't strike up conversations or look to be included in them.

It's funny - the most social people there tend to be the ones who get the least results. Especially the chicks who are there obviously just cruising for dick, and the dweebs who hit on them constantly.

I’m totally like Patricia on this one. It’s one thing for a guy and be able to be personable and “nice” in the gym - people usually approach you to actually LEARN something. It’s another story to be a girl in the gym - you get approached with “Hey, niiice form…need a spot?” when you are doing abs or stretching.

Outside of the gym I try to be polite, courteous and project a positve image. I try not to come off as ignorant, narcisstic or act in any of the stereo-typical “bodybuilder” ways. Shy and introverted by nature, I try to smile or do other small things that let people know I am not stuck on myself,etc. In the gym, I keep to myself, do my own thing and don’t socialize or even look at anyone else. I get in, get it done and get out. Herc

I sell memberships at my gym so I am kind to everyone there. When I work out I tell the desk staff to hold ALL my calls and I try to concentrate but I usually get interrupted. I would love to work out and not talk to anyone but it’s not possible where I workout. I’ve thought about purchasing a membership to another gym but mine is the best. I won’t settle.

I go into the gym with my wifebeater on and try to make up for my lack of size by trying to look hard. It’s what I call my “gameface” – permanently furrowed brow, surreptitious looks to each side to see how much each other guy is lifting, perfectly done hair in case there’s a hot chick who notices my 747 lats and my cannonball delts. I learned this warrior look from a buddy when I used to be a 2nd string cornerback on my high school JV football team (those were the days, I haven’t been lifting for a while but I used to bench 450 EASY, how much do you bench?) I wear gloves, a belt, and wrist straps. I can’t be bothered, I’m like Mr. Walker and Mr. Wheeler in the old Goofy cartoons. Only imagine Mr. Wheeler being really really hard, you know like the guy on the football team who was a pussy but was fucking Hard during pre-game when no-body had pads on. That’s me.

If you interrupt my set for any reason I am likely to throw my weights at you (if you are smaller than me). This gives me a chance to terminate my set early, which is just as well because I can usually be seen attempting too much weight anyways, but I can’t be outdone – I think of myself as a True Gym Warrior, and I regard my lifts as more than just lifts, but as heroic acts which are to be reported to my buddies over and over again. In fact, if anyone ever lifts more than me, I think things to myself like “He’s just using poor form” or “I bet my boyz and I could kick his ass”.

My musical taste runs towards either ultra hardcore (you know, “eat your parents” music) or the hardest ghetto hip hop. You know, any kind of music where the singers are singing about how hard they are and how many bitches they fuck, how much money they have, how much they will kick your ass if you mess with them. (I mean come on, I’m Hard with a capital H, I have to listen to music that I can identify with). I say that I like old Metallica to fit in, but the truth is I think it’s sucks (and it really does).

Another thing that I learned on the JV football team is that it’s OK to yell and scream during my set of 6 half squats done ith a belt and gloves and 3 plates, which is at least 2 plates more than I can really handle. In fact, the louder you yell and hiss your indrawn breath the more you can lift. I grunt, groan, yell, and throw my weights down at the end of my set. Hey, I don’t want to hurt my back setting them back down.

My weight training program is pretty flexible, but I make sure to bench at LEAST twice a week. Nobody in the gym has my fantastic work ethic, which is easily provable by the fact that I am so HARD. When I walk into the gym and the kid behind the desk says hi, I brush him off and move directly to the bench. When I leave in my Ford Rustang 5.0, I make sure to Bump That Shit and squeal the tires

So I guess you could say that I am tough outside the gym, but I AM A HARDASS inside the gym.

Hey – you’ve trained in every gym I’ve ever been in! Stop following me!

oh my god. that was the funniest thing i’ve read all day. I didn’t know anyone else from indiana posted here. wow.

Right on, Chocolate Chip. You sound kick-ass. I am everything you are. I am 5 foot eight and about 162. I took karate so that I could continuously bring that up during conversation. For instance, if someone talks tough I make some reference to how I could take anyone down. Or I was the best in my karate class. When I talk to my friends, I will make vague references to the “girl in Canada.” I’m constantly watching my back. My conversation usually revolves around what a hardass Jeff Gordon is. I have a number three tatooed on my right ass cheek. God only knows why he was taken from us.
Metallica Rocks! I remember seeing their poster with the subtitle, “Who’s laughing now!” They are so smart and tough. They are real idols.
Finally, I smoke and chew tobacco. One of my favorite sayings is, “Hey, you only live once.” My genitals are real small. Therefore, I tell everyone what a hog I have. I always incorporate arms into every workout. Before my Friday night ride around in my brown 1983 camaro, I make sure to pump up my 11 inch arms. I am real tough.

[quote]Pampers for Men wrote:
Right on, Chocolate Chip. You sound kick-ass. I am everything you are. I am 5 foot eight and about 162. I took karate so that I could continuously bring that up during conversation. For instance, if someone talks tough I make some reference to how I could take anyone down. Or I was the best in my karate class. When I talk to my friends, I will make vague references to the “girl in Canada.” I’m constantly watching my back. My conversation usually revolves around what a hardass Jeff Gordon is. I have a number three tatooed on my right ass cheek. God only knows why he was taken from us.
Metallica Rocks! I remember seeing their poster with the subtitle, “Who’s laughing now!” They are so smart and tough. They are real idols.
Finally, I smoke and chew tobacco. One of my favorite sayings is, “Hey, you only live once.” My genitals are real small. Therefore, I tell everyone what a hog I have. I always incorporate arms into every workout. Before my Friday night ride around in my brown 1983 camaro, I make sure to pump up my 11 inch arms. I am real tough.[/quote]

This sounds like a few of the more recent posts we’ve seen.

uh bro this thread is 4 years old, guess you did some searching huh

[quote]biglift88 wrote:
uh bro this thread is 4 years old, guess you did some searching huh[/quote]

I like to read some of these old threads.

This was pretty funny, but if you’ll look back over the old training threads you’ll find a lot of good information.

[quote]Go-Rilla wrote:
biglift88 wrote:
uh bro this thread is 4 years old, guess you did some searching huh

I like to read some of these old threads.

This was pretty funny, but if you’ll look back over the old training threads you’ll find a lot of good information.
[/quote]

Very true there are a lot of gems there. For some real entertainment read through the old posts on the steroids forum with what we know now about balco and those things. It’s pretty interesting…

This thread being brought up is kind of funny.

I recently referred to Dedicated as Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. (I like the new avatar by the way, D)

Good times!