T Nation

Personality Disorders in Films/TV

Extra credit psych project.

I’d rather not do it on a film involving someone obviously disturbed as the main character(monster, hannibal, rainman, etc)

could be any mental disorder.

i know you guys out there are some creative mofos, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

The film doesn’t really deserve any more attention, but how about Frank Castle’s alcoholism and I guess Post Traumatic Stress Disorder in “The Punisher”?

This Boy’s Life, with Robert DeNiro and Leonardo DiCaprio. The stepfather is arguably personality disordered. It’s subtle, though. You’ll have to do some work.

Good luck.

Joan Crawford, Mommie Dearest, personality disorder?

D

‘Primal Fear,’ Dissociative Identity Disorder turned into malingering. A malingering diagnosis may impress your prof.
‘Girl, Interrupted,’ do your own interpretation of anyone in the movie.
Both obvious, but both amazing movies worth watching if you haven’t already.
Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh has Dysthymic Disorder. Not a film but that shit is funny.

Dysthymic Disorder isnt funny. You fucking fuck, what the fuck? That shit isn’t a joke, people have a real problem, and you are over there laughing at them. Damn, what is your problem?lol just kidding, what is Dysthymic Disorder?

How about the Terminator. You could do a paper on his Killer-Robotism. Or you could do one on Mr. Freeze from 1997’s Batman & Robin. Or you could do one on Conan the Barbarian from the famous movie Conan the Barbarian. Or John Mclane from Die Hard. How about Simon Gruber from Die Hard 3.

Rambo!

That goofly animated movie with Keanu Reaves, Winnona Ryder, Woody Harlson, and Robert Downey Jr. RDJ’s character would fit what you are looking for. Hell if I can remember what it was called though, it wasn’t very good.

Why the fuck you talking shit about Rainman? You’re a dick…definitely a dick.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
That goofly animated movie with Keanu Reaves, Winnona Ryder, Woody Harlson, and Robert Downey Jr. RDJ’s character would fit what you are looking for. Hell if I can remember what it was called though, it wasn’t very good. [/quote]

A Scanner Darkly?

The Machinist with Christian Bale could be one for the OP to look in to also.

[quote]Liquid447 wrote:
Extra credit psych project.

I’d rather not do it on a film involving someone obviously disturbed as the main character(monster, hannibal, rainman, etc)

could be any mental disorder.

i know you guys out there are some creative mofos, any suggestions would be much appreciated.[/quote]

sybil

[quote]Ph03nix wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
That goofly animated movie with Keanu Reaves, Winnona Ryder, Woody Harlson, and Robert Downey Jr. RDJ’s character would fit what you are looking for. Hell if I can remember what it was called though, it wasn’t very good.

A Scanner Darkly?

The Machinist with Christian Bale could be one for the OP to look in to also.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361862/ [/quote]

Yes! That’s the one!

In my psych class we watched

As Good as it Gets (Jack Nicholson with OCD and some personality issues)

What’s Eating Gilbert Grape (Leonardo DeCaprio is obviously retarded, but “mama” is a depressed alcoholic?)

When a Man Loves a Woman (alcoholic)

Plus Rainman and something about bulimia and anorexia…

Bad Lieutenant, that was a disturbing movie staring Harvey Keitel.

A Beautiful Mind

wow…

i just want to thank everyone for there help. how do i even thank you all?

Reign Over Me, who Sandler could act?

[quote]streamline wrote:
Bad Lieutenant, that was a disturbing movie staring Harvey Keitel.[/quote]

Damn disturbing. One of the darkest most depressing movies I’ve ever seen, but a good one.

D

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
streamline wrote:
Bad Lieutenant, that was a disturbing movie staring Harvey Keitel.

Damn disturbing. One of the darkest most depressing movies I’ve ever seen, but a good one.

D[/quote]

Oh! Dark and depressing, but good? Monster, staring Charlize Theron.