Personal Training Rates

I own a couple of personal training studios and have recently raised my rates. I was wondering if anyone knows the rates per session of good trainers in your areas.

When I was training it was $65 per hour $35 per 1/2 hour. A 20 1 hour session package dropped the price per session to $45.

The studio I train at in boston is 85$ and hour. The same chain a little farther out in the suburbs is 80$ an hour.

Sports Club L.A. had some advanced training cert that costs 120$ an hour now.

Down here it’s $40-$65 depending on where ya go, and what your goal is. Me personally, since its my 2nd job, I only charge $20 an hour, plus most people that I end up working with couldn’t afford anything more anyway, they bitch about $20 as it is!

I average about $60 per hour. I’m having trouble getting people to realize that if they don’t make time to workout they won’t do it. My services are invaluable to the busy professional people in my area. When they look at my prices they aren’t putting together that they haven’t been working out and they won’t unless my staff and I are there to make them accountable. I know my services are the best in the area, but I’m having trouble getting them to see that.

The first shit ass gym I joined charged $135/hour and that was the discounted package rate. The trainer was small and annoying and during his high pressure sell told me how he almost made it to the Olympics about 15 times, that his girlfriend was a chiropractor and did I want her card, and that I had “tight” skin and big calves. I did not utilize their training services.

I’ve trained with a couple different trainers at my current gym, but they are independent, and not affiliated with the gym if that’s relevant. I’ve paid between $35 and $50, but the advertised rate is usually about $65-ish. Most of the trainers I know will cut you a deal if you pay for more than a week at a time.

[quote]Sabrina wrote:
The first shit ass gym I joined charged $135/hour and that was the discounted package rate.[/quote]

HOLY CHRIST MODERN GYMS SUCK BIG DONKEY BALLS!

personal training has got to be one of the biggest scams going considering most of them don’t know shit from shinola…

[quote]mclemorejohn wrote:
I own a couple of personal training studios and have recently raised my rates. I was wondering if anyone knows the rates per session of good trainers in your areas.[/quote]

I can’t tell you the rates per session of any good PTs in my area because there arn’t any…

but here’s an idea…

why don’t you give you trainees the first three weeks free and if they think you’re worth it after that then start charging them your $65 (or whatever you negotiate) per session…

1st 3 weeks? Can people not judge within the 1st week? I admit that most trainers suck, but I disagree with the scam thing. You do have some people that actually care about clients progress and don’t use their clients training time as talk time or venting time. Personal Training is simply a way for people to learn good techniques, and to establish good a good solid routine. A good, educated trainer will teach not just take their client through the motions.

1st 3 weeks? Can people not judge within the 1st week? I admit that most trainers suck, but I disagree with the scam thing. You do have some people that actually care about clients progress and don’t use their clients training time as talk time or venting time.

Personal Training is simply a way for people to learn good techniques, and to establish good a good solid routine. A good, educated trainer will teach not just take their client through the motions.[/quote]

fine…

how about giving them the first three training sessions free…

that seems fair…

if they think you’re worth it after that then charge them…

I think free sessions are completely unnecessary. I also think it’s almost always bad business to get into the habit of giving anything away for free. A free hour doesn’t cost you $65, it costs you exponentially.

The first trainer I did work with met with me several days prior to our first session and did a long consultation and that was enough for me to determine whether or not I wanted to hire him.

DPH i get the feeling your anti personal trainer. Ha ha

DPH i get the feeling your anti personal trainer. Ha ha[/quote]

nah…

I’m not anti personal trainer that knows their shit (although damn few seem to)…

I’m anti ‘personal trainer’ that do nothing more than charge top dollar to show some newbie how to use machines that should be self explanatory to anyone that can read…

dispensing top notch nutritional advice like telling clients to eat veggies instead of fritos (no shit?)…

saying shit like “high reps to tone and sculpt”…“squatting is bad for your knees”…“you have to do high reps to loose that fat under your arms”…

man, I can go on and on about the stupid shit that I’ve heard 'personal trainers" telling people in gyms through out the years…

Why should I give my services away?

Does a doctor see you for free the first couple of times so you can decide if you like them?

Does a laywer work your first case for free?

Hell no.

by giving away your services for free you’ve devalued them, you’ve told people they’re not worth anything and so that’s what they’ll be willing to pay.

At our gym we charge about $50/hr for personal training.

[quote]Sturat wrote:
Why should I give my services away?
[/quote]

if you don’t know what the fuck you’re doing (as most personal trainers don’t) you shouldn’t be charging in the first place…you’re just ripping people off…

you’re comparing personal trainers to doctors? and I don’t even know what a laywer is…

doctors go through an exeptional amount of training and are (usually) deserving of respect…

most personal trainers are sales people that have a certicicate they studied for a few weeks to get…

my wife’s gym charges $60/hr for personal training…not one of the personal trainers that work there are worth a squirt of piss…

your gym may be the exeption to the rule but I’m skeptical…

[quote]Sabrina wrote:
I think free sessions are completely unnecessary. I also think it’s almost always bad business to get into the habit of giving anything away for free. A free hour doesn’t cost you $65, it costs you exponentially.

The first trainer I did work with met with me several days prior to our first session and did a long consultation and that was enough for me to determine whether or not I wanted to hire him. [/quote]

the winner

[quote]DPH wrote:
mclemorejohn wrote:
1st 3 weeks? Can people not judge within the 1st week? I admit that most trainers suck, but I disagree with the scam thing. You do have some people that actually care about clients progress and don’t use their clients training time as talk time or venting time.

Personal Training is simply a way for people to learn good techniques, and to establish good a good solid routine. A good, educated trainer will teach not just take their client through the motions.

fine…

how about giving them the first three training sessions free…

that seems fair…

if they think you’re worth it after that then charge them…[/quote]

Do you give your boss the first three hours of the day free so he can decide if he is going to like your work? I didn’t think so. This is there jobs, and they deserve to be paid for there time just as much as you do. If you don’t like them after the first session, then don’t pay for any more.

[quote]firebug9 wrote:
Do you give your boss the first three hours of the day free so he can decide if he is going to like your work? I didn’t think so. This is there jobs, and they deserve to be paid for there time just as much as you do. If you don’t like them after the first session, then don’t pay for any more.
[/quote]

if my only credential was a crappy certificate that it took me only a week to study for and I expected to make $50+ an hour…you’re god damned right I would be willing to work the first three hours free to prove that I could do a good job…and in the long run it would be WELL ($$$) worth it…

Mabye a sit down consultation to find out what their goals and commitment levels are and then a free session? Just spitballing.

Right now we offer a free session and that’s it. Afterwards we talk about goals, how I can help and then if they feel like they are a fit with us then we talk $.

Here in New York (suburbs, not in the City), independant trainers range anywhere from $40 to $80/hr. I charge $60 for in-home sessions, where I provide the equipment. I’ve seen training in gyms for up to $115/hr.

I also offer a complimentary consultation (recently, I’m trying to avoid the word “free”, and of course, always avoid the word “cheap”), where we explain, discuss, and fill out about 15 pages worth of health & exercise history forms, and discuss possible goals. This is a sit-down discussion and takes usually 45 minutes, there’s no exercise involved (Just to be sure, I’ll usually wear nice jeans and a sweater, or something “office-casual”).

For the first year I was training on my own, I evolved from doing a free 1-hour training session, to a half-price session, but I eventually decided that my training time is more valuable than that. The sit-down consultation gives a little better idea of a client’s personality (and allows them to see yours).