Personal Training Certification

I know there are 1,000’s of PT certifications out there! I also know that most of them are crap! I was thinking of going into PT as a side job since I already work full time.
Does anyone know of any good PT Certifications that are actually respected in the industry?

Thanks!

NFPT and ACSM as well as ISSA
ACE is crap! Most them are a little whimpy and behind the times in some areas, but some are better than others.

Personally, if you are looking for just part-time personal training work at any health club… ACE, AFFA… Even though they are crappy certs they will get u in the club… If u want a more reputable cert… Go w/ NSCA CPT, ACSM… Also this has been discussed throught this forum exetensively… Try search on this topic…

thanks. I think PT woudl be a great side job and gyms can actually use a PT’s who know what they are talking about without bs certifications. I have been a loyal T-mag reader for 4 years they have helped me out tremendously as far as the training lifestyle including supplements.
ISSA sounds great, runs around $550. How hard is it to find a PT job? I live in North New Jersey, bergen county.

I looked extensively at this myself a while back - I was in the exact same spot you are right now. I emailed Cy Wilson who recommended these:

ACSM
 NFPT
 IFAA

I found these are considered standard for the industry as well:

NASM
 NSCA
 AFAA

Then there's one that all of us like to bash and poke fun at:

ACE - I love to rip on anyone with an ACE certification. It follows the same lines of wearing a hat that says 'im #1'. It just doesnt sound credible.
 However, ACE is, unfortunately, very highly respected, and if im not mistaken, is the standard used by well-known universities for those majoring in exercise science or phys. ed. Most gyms would consider an ACE certified PT ahead of others who hold different certifications. 

These are the certifications to avoid at all costs (with the exception being if you're flat broke, wont be able to eat for a month, live in a carton box and have a sign that says 'will suck dick for food' - then you're justified in choosing these):

IFA - simply put, they're a joke. $99 express certifications. download a pdf book, download your exam, and then submit it. Redo it until you get it right. Then make your payment, and your ta-da, your certification will arrive in the mail within a few days. 

NESTA - they've been gaining ground, and if you do need a cheap certification, I would choose them. However, their reputation isnt, well...they dont even have a goddamn reputatino. People will think youre just making it up and that you went to your local office max and made your own card. 

Every other organization not listed here is not credible. Steer clear of any organization not recommended here.

If I had to put these in order, starting with the ones most  likely togive you a good name and a hired faster, I would do this:

AFAA
 IFAA
 ACSM
 ACE
 NASM
 NFPT
 NSCA

Good luck!! Hope this helps! Just remember to read Charles Poliquin's books, frequent t-mag regularly, charlespoliquin.com, johnberardi.com, and you should be fine.

Not to hard to find a job in a health club the pay is not all that great though when you first start out you’ll have to do floor training hours before you can get a clientele list and it works from there… I live in NJ also from Central… But I work in Corporate Fitness… It a full-time salary postion…

Thanks a lot of the input. It really helped me out. I had no idea there were T-people in the NJ area. After 5 years of training I pretty much hit a plateau and always looking for different varations on existing ideas, or new routines. It would be nice if we could all get together maybe once a month for a workout. Current I have been cutting up for about a month, right now @ 170 lbs 7%. I am trying to maintain 170lbs and go down to about 6% slowly, around June.
Thanks again though for the input.

Search t-mag…There’s a great article dealing specifically with your question, I believe it’s called, “So You Want to Be A Personal Trainer.”