Personal Trainers

[quote]Krollmonster wrote:
I saw a guy demonstrating chest flyes on swiss balls. But not how you might imagine. He had two swiss balls side by side and put his forearms on them, palms down. He put his feet up on another swiss ball and lowered his chest and did kind of like a pec deck movement…all on 3 swiss balls! ahaha[/quote]

Yup, most PT’s love that swiss ball shit. One PT at my gym, does the same routine with newbies. Benchpressing dumbells on a swiss ball.

Needless to say, he still looks the same. In fact, they all do.

[quote]angel1278 wrote:
I totally agree. There should be more to gaining a Personal Trainer Cert. I went through AAAI/ISMA, and I felt like, “That’s it?” Was far too easy. I try to stick to training beginners then pass the client on to a more advanced trainer -A[/quote]

The problem isn’t the training. It’s the atmosphere. It’s all about salesmanship. Have you noticed that they all look and talk like fucking used-car salesman? Everywhere you look, it’s another gimic to hook you into spending money. I made the mistake of flashing my corporate AMEX once, and now they are on my like flies on shit.

Most PT’s care about making a sale. If they don’t, they don’t last long.
Basic fitness training doesn’t need to be a four year course; however, I agree that advanced trainers should understand the human body better than the average person and require more training.

I almost feel embarassed to write this response in, but I have to. I saw a written workout from a guy a university had hired to train their softball players because I knew one of the girls. This brain trust had gotten a work out from someone who used kilograms instead of pounds. The workout was not very good but that was not the point. He had converted all the weights the wrong way. He multiplied the kilos instead of dividing them. The girls workout sheet I saw called for her to do triangle triceps pushdowns with 130 lbs. I didn’t think anything of it for a second until I remembered that she weighed a buck ten soaking wet at the time. The guy had been training them for about a month and half of them could still not do five good push ups. He was certified and hired by a coach, oh well better their athletes than my athletes. It pains me because the public groups all trainers into the same group because they are “certified”. I wish it was mandatory to read this site before you could go in a weight room so people would know the difference and good trainers would not get a bad rep.

[quote]ironball wrote:
I almost feel embarassed to write this response in, but I have to. I saw a written workout from a guy a university had hired to train their softball players because I knew one of the girls. This brain trust had gotten a work out from someone who used kilograms instead of pounds. The workout was not very good but that was not the point. He had converted all the weights the wrong way. He multiplied the kilos instead of dividing them. The girls workout sheet I saw called for her to do triangle triceps pushdowns with 130 lbs. I didn’t think anything of it for a second until I remembered that she weighed a buck ten soaking wet at the time. The guy had been training them for about a month and half of them could still not do five good push ups. He was certified and hired by a coach, oh well better their athletes than my athletes. It pains me because the public groups all trainers into the same group because they are “certified”. I wish it was mandatory to read this site before you could go in a weight room so people would know the difference and good trainers would not get a bad rep.[/quote]

I was laughing my ass off, until I realized I had NO idea how the fuck much a kilogram weighed.

1 kg = roughly 2.205 lbs :slight_smile:

I was a trainer at a gym on campus where I’m getting a Master’s in Exercise Physiology, and the funniest thing I was another trainer do was throw a stability ball at the client’s ass while the client was doing 1-arm rows while balancing on a BOSU ball. I was training a client of my own at the time and I had to move because I was laughing too hard. The worst thing was (if the first part isn’t bad enought) is that the trainer was CSCS certified (as am I), so it just goes to show that even if you’re certified, it doesn’t necessarily mean your qualified.

[quote]ironball wrote:
I almost feel embarassed to write this response in, but I have to. I saw a written workout from a guy a university had hired to train their softball players because I knew one of the girls. This brain trust had gotten a work out from someone who used kilograms instead of pounds. The workout was not very good but that was not the point. He had converted all the weights the wrong way. He multiplied the kilos instead of dividing them. The girls workout sheet I saw called for her to do triangle triceps pushdowns with 130 lbs. I didn’t think anything of it for a second until I remembered that she weighed a buck ten soaking wet at the time. The guy had been training them for about a month and half of them could still not do five good push ups. He was certified and hired by a coach, oh well better their athletes than my athletes. It pains me because the public groups all trainers into the same group because they are “certified”. I wish it was mandatory to read this site before you could go in a weight room so people would know the difference and good trainers would not get a bad rep.[/quote]

I can’t get 130 pounds to equal anything other than 60 kilos. I think he got it in pounds and thought it was kilos and multiplied anyway. If he started with 25 pounds, thought it was 25 kilos and then ‘converted’ twice, you get close to 130 pounds.

Who was the greater fool, the trainer, or the folks who hired him?

[quote]Kent Lorenz wrote:
I was a trainer at a gym on campus where I’m getting a Master’s in Exercise Physiology, and the funniest thing I was another trainer do was throw a stability ball at the client’s ass while the client was doing 1-arm rows while balancing on a BOSU ball. I was training a client of my own at the time and I had to move because I was laughing too hard. The worst thing was (if the first part isn’t bad enought) is that the trainer was CSCS certified (as am I), so it just goes to show that even if you’re certified, it doesn’t necessarily mean your qualified.[/quote]

Was this an actual “exercise”, or was he just screwing around?

If it’s the latter, that is a funny, funny man.

No, the trainer was counting when he was throwing the ball, and they did 3 sets of 10 (yet another problem).

[quote]harris447 wrote:
gottatrain wrote:
Muscle & Fitness is an absolute joke…no practical, real-world/real results training info. I actually have much more respect for mags like Men’s Health and Men’s Fitness. Both of them regularly reference strength coaches, like Poliquin, Ian King, Alwyn Cosgrove. Hell, Dave Tate is on the Men’s Fitness advisory board. Both also routinely have articles that tout the merits of compound lifts as well, something you’d be hard pressed to find in M&F or any of the other rags. “Oh, I see, if I do super heavy dumbbell flyes like Jay Cutler, I can look like him!” So fucking sad.

Slightly off-topic (but about the bullshit you find in magazines): has anyone seen FLEX this month? There’s an “article” purporting to answer the question, “Why do so many professional bodybuilders have fucked-up kidneys?” (I’m paraphrasing.)

The sheer genius is the answer–which runs for an entire page–doesn’t contain the word ‘steroid’ once.

Bush ain’t got nothing on Weider. (And I know he’s no longer in charge.)

[/quote]

Bush? He was never in charge.