T Nation

Personal Trainer Says...

“If u wanna get stronger emphasize negative more” i say there is really no evidence to support it, what u say??, this other putz said i should be gentle when dropping dumbells on the floor after going to fail on flat dbpress, i tell him he should try it and see if he still has a shoulder when hes done, what u say? lets hear other gym “LOSER” stories

[quote]MONSTERMATT wrote:
“If u wanna get stronger emphasize negative more” i say there is really no evidence to support it, what u say??, this other putz said i should be gentle when dropping dumbells on the floor after going to fail on flat dbpress, i tell him he should try it and see if he still has a shoulder when hes done, what u say? lets hear other gym “LOSER” stories[/quote]

TSB

Mongo, is that you?

Great use of the TSB… I almost forgot about it.

[quote]MONSTERMATT wrote:
going to fail[/quote]

Yes.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
MONSTERMATT wrote:
going to fail

Yes.
[/quote]

[quote]MONSTERMATT wrote:
putz [/quote]

And with one intentionally misspelled word I know nothing you say matters.

Using Slow Negatives may not be the best technique to gain strength but it still works and works especially well for novice trainees who typically lack muscle mass and have over-active golgi tendon organs responsible for overprotective autogenic inhibition reflexes.

Furthermore, using slow negatives on a chest-dominant exercise such as the Dumbbell Bench Press is an excellent way to build a thicker chest. A thicker chest creates better leverage for all types of benching and is a physical quality that should be striven for by all serious bench pressers who do not have valid excuses for placing limits on truly functional hypertrophy.

If this personal trainer insisted upon emphasizing a slow negative as if it were the only means for strength gain then he is a silly person. If this personal trainer merely suggested that you emphasize the negative, then he is not silly.

Please also recognize that the trainer may have told you to emphasize the negative because he wants you to stop damaging the equipment. Do you know why Ronnie Coleman gets to drop his dumbbells at MetroFlex? Ronnie gets to drop 'em because he bought most of the dumbbells above 160 except for the 225 and 250 pounders that he got from the gym owner for his birthday. So unless you’re (1) Super Strong (2) Paid for the weights (3) are a lifelong friend of the gym owner who also drops the weights, then it’s usually not kosher to drop the weights unless you are avoiding death or injury.

Dropping weights is gay.

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:
Dropping weights is gay.[/quote]

Throwing weights like you think you’re God’s gift to the gym is lame, there’s nothing wrong with dropping weights in a controlled fashion.

yes there is

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
MONSTERMATT wrote:
putz

And with one intentionally misspelled word I know nothing you say matters.

Using Slow Negatives may not be the best technique to gain strength but it still works and works especially well for novice trainees who typically lack muscle mass and have over-active golgi tendon organs responsible for overprotective autogenic inhibition reflexes.

Furthermore, using slow negatives on a chest-dominant exercise such as the Dumbbell Bench Press is an excellent way to build a thicker chest. A thicker chest creates better leverage for all types of benching and is a physical quality that should be striven for by all serious bench pressers who do not have valid excuses for placing limits on truly functional hypertrophy.

If this personal trainer insisted upon emphasizing a slow negative as if it were the only means for strength gain then he is a silly person. If this personal trainer merely suggested that you emphasize the negative, then he is not silly.

Please also recognize that the trainer may have told you to emphasize the negative because he wants you to stop damaging the equipment. Do you know why Ronnie Coleman gets to drop his dumbbells at MetroFlex? Ronnie gets to drop 'em because he bought most of the dumbbells above 160 except for the 225 and 250 pounders that he got from the gym owner for his birthday. So unless you’re (1) Super Strong (2) Paid for the weights (3) are a lifelong friend of the gym owner who also drops the weights, then it’s usually not kosher to drop the weights unless you are avoiding death or injury. [/quote]

Pwned.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
ElbowStrike wrote:
Dropping weights is gay.

Throwing weights like you think you’re God’s gift to the gym is lame, there’s nothing wrong with dropping weights in a controlled fashion. [/quote]

Agreed. Like a couple of inches. Waist height… not such a good thing.

In gyms in europe and china they drop weights from shoulder height and think nothing of it.

here we go again, lol

i actually like to climb on the bench when i’m done, and drop them from 8 ft, take that!

I like to throw the weights other people are using, and then re-rack mine very gently.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
I like to throw the weights other people are using, and then re-rack mine very gently.[/quote]

It’s strangely addictive, isn’t it?

I like to picture Jesus as a mischievous badger.

[quote]Otep wrote:
In gyms in europe and china they drop weights from shoulder height[/quote]

In Soviet Russia, weight drops you

[quote]thesixteenth wrote:
Otep wrote:
In gyms in europe and china they drop weights from shoulder height

In Soviet Russia, weight drops you[/quote]

In Soviet Russia, steroids take you.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
thesixteenth wrote:
Otep wrote:
In gyms in europe and china they drop weights from shoulder height

In Soviet Russia, weight drops you

In Soviet Russia, steroids take you.

[/quote]

In soviet russia men asses fuck you.

Oh yes and also… FAIL