T Nation

Personal Trainer Certifications in Australia

Which are the most recognised/most useful courses you can do?

There seem to be hundreds out there that are on offer, but obviously some of them are a waste of time.

Any experience doing any of these courses?

Thanks

Wat state are you in?
Make sure that its recognised by fitness australia.
Go for a tafe course or something with heaps of prac and lectures, correspondence courses are pretty shit and you wont learn enough to be job ready.

Australia, as the title suggests. If you mean state I live in Sydney NSW

yeah sorry lol.
I studied my cert III through tafe and it was great, takes 6 months “full time” however that is only 3 days a week.
After that I did a traineeship through fitnation for my cert IV. Don’t go through them unless you just want your bit of paper. I didnt learn anything new from the cert IV course.

[quote]Doyle wrote:
yeah sorry lol.
I studied my cert III through tafe and it was great, takes 6 months “full time” however that is only 3 days a week.
After that I did a traineeship through fitnation for my cert IV. Don’t go through them unless you just want your bit of paper. I didnt learn anything new from the cert IV course.[/quote]

Yeah I was thinking of doing III and IV together because you get some form of reduction. The problem is they take a while, and I’m not really interested in being a PT in the long run. I just want to do it for the next couple of years while I’m at Uni.

I suppose unless I can dedicate myself to it there is little point.

What are you studying at uni?
It is a good job for uni because most people want you to train them outside of working hours.
If you know your shit then do cert III and IV together either in a short course (shouldn’t be hard to find this offered in sydney)or by correspondence.
By beef is that you simply wont learn as much this way.

Through tafe I did an 8 week clinic with two clients, (they had a pretty good gym set up at my Tafe campus) and the cert IV students go on an excursion to visit the wet lab at newcastle uni. This sort of stuff is invaluable and the teachers had a lot of experience and knowledge.

There are quite a few Aussies that are CHEK practitioners: