T Nation

Personal Trainer Certification - Which is Best??

I was thinking about becoming certified as a personal trainer and was wondering which organization would be the best to certify with?

it depends, the big 3 are ASCM(more medical) NSCA(more strength) and NASM(more core stuff) those are the top 3 and are all respected. You can get ACE or ISSA but they are not as respected because they are mail in tests

Don’t waste your money! Maybe buy the material & learn it & take what you can from it. Some of the best trainers in the world are not certified. One come to mind, badass Matt Furey.

I believe it’s more important to read all you can & apply WHAT works. Throw the rest away. Save your money & invest it in you. YOU are your own billboard, you have to sell yourself. If you have a great physique people will pay big money for your services & knowledge.

But must know what your doing! You must be able to teach proper form. You do not want for someone to get hurt. You have to know your stuff, plain & simple.

If you do not know your stuff, then, go out & get a certification. But don’t go out & get 3-4 of them. Look & explore everything you can. The more u read, the better.

BruceLee,

I agree with you about the fact that you are your own billboard.    I just think it would be a nice thing to have after my name on paper, ya know.  I'm not worried about not knowing enough to advise people.

[quote]mroussell wrote:
BruceLee,

I agree with you about the fact that you are your own billboard.    I just think it would be a nice thing to have after my name on paper, ya know.  I'm not worried about not knowing enough to advise people.[/quote]

I agree w/you. That is a good reason to do it. I does look good after your name. People are impressed w/ that. But, I know of GREAT big money trainers that do have it also. Maybe those are the lucky few. Take care!

get your personal training cert, I’d still go for a big 3 cert for the fact that when you start out your going to have to work in private faclaities and big gyms, these 3 certs are look upon heavyily. Also for insurance reasons u need to be certified

Like has been stated befor that paice of paper may not mean much to most ppl around here but for the average Joe and the Gyms and such you will be starting at it is not only a need but you MUST have it in most cases. They just feel warm and fuzzy seeing your name on that paper. So I say go for it, but just continue to live and learn by the info. you Know is superior.

Good luck,

Phill