T Nation

Personal Trainer Cert for College Student?

I’m currently an engineering student who’s taking a year off. My local and school gyms both accept the ACE, NASM, and NSCA. Which is the fastest to get? I don’t mind pulling all nighters to study a lot of material, but I don’t want to go through a long BS process for no reason. Also, which is the most credible in the DC/MD area? Thanks!

[quote]cct wrote:
I’m currently an engineering student who’s taking a year off. My local and school gyms both accept the ACE, NASM, and NSCA. Which is the fastest to get? I don’t mind pulling all nighters to study a lot of material, but I don’t want to go through a long BS process for no reason. Also, which is the most credible in the DC/MD area? Thanks![/quote]

ACE is a joke, NASM is good for special populations, and NSCA is more geared toward athletes.
I completed the NSCA exam with zero studying, but i also read dozens of T-Nation articles years ago when they were still very technically informative.

If you’re not serious about training as a career then I would stick with ACE and market yourself toward the general population like most trainers do.

All 3 will be accepted nationwide.

The fastest to get would probably be ACE, and while I understand your mindset at your age, it worries me.

Granted, I don’t foresee a certification being the determining factor on how good of a trainer you will be, or end up being.

But, a better certification will better help your clientele. That said, a certification is just the beginning of your education.

Good luck.

Thanks guys. I’m leaning towards ACE since if you want to do more later, I could take up something more specialized. I’m in a bit of a tight financial situation, so for now, I’d probably have to go with the fastest one. I will try to be responsible and like to think all the articles I read on Tnation and my own training experiences will help.