Personal Football Question

Hey Jim,

thanks for all the great info here and everywhere. after last weeks post burpees, we started making fun of the crossfit crowd devoted and dying by the burpee…

I have one question though, that may only remotely be training related. I remember reading about your college football on this site, telling your story from walking on (if I remember correctly) to having an impact on your team.

Knowing you somewhat from your writings on the net, I was always curious about how that chapter ended? What held you back from taking the next step (to the pros?) and where do you think now could you have done better?

cheers

sebastina

This is pretty simple - I wasn’t good enough. There is no amount of lifting, running or jumping or watching of game film that can make up for lack of talent. When I played my last game, it was a Thanksgiving game against ASU, and I walked off the field, no one was more ready to be done than me.

I never once felt like I wanted to play anymore or had an itch to play again. When it was done, I was done. I know a lot of people hold on to this stuff, but holding on to a carcass only slows you down.

I don’t think I could have done any better or the old “If I would’ve known now…” deal - I’m exactly where I want to be in my life and couldn’t be happier.

there’s something i want to point out that Jim neglected in his walk on article (probably because it makes his accomplishment more impressive)…

another element that makes walking on ridiculously tough–the coaches do not want you to succeed because it makes them look like assholes. If a walk on makes the team, let alone earns a scholarship, it shows that the scouts failed-how did you let this guy slip through the cracks?

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
When it was done, I was done. I know a lot of people hold on to this stuff, but holding on to a carcass only slows you down.
[/quote]

Your next book should be a book of quotes.