T Nation

Personal Experience: Arms and Calves

If there where two areas I feel lag behind the rest of me, it is my arms and calves. Currently, using either Upper/Lower or full body splits. Alternate between Accumulation/Intensity phases as measured by load and overall set/rep volume.

Based on peoples experience in increasing and keeping the gains, what has anyone else done with these lagging body parts that has really helped out?

[quote]CRisenhoover wrote:
If there where two areas I feel lag behind the rest of me, it is my arms and calves. Currently, using either Upper/Lower or full body splits. Alternate between Accumulation/Intensity phases as measured by load and overall set/rep volume.

Based on peoples experience in increasing and keeping the gains, what has anyone else done with these lagging body parts that has really helped out?[/quote]

If you want to spike your arms here is a good plan:

1. Close Grip Chins 4 sets stop one rep short of failure. Fast on the way up the bar medium to slow on the way down. If you can do more than 10 reps add some weight to your body: Weight belt, back pack, plates in your pocket, anything will work.

2. Lying Tricep Extensions, they also call them “skull crushers.” Use a weight that you can handle and move the bar at a medium to slow speed. Do 4 sets 12-10-8-6 reps.

Do the above three times per week for 8 weeks and add weight when possible.

I am not a calf guy so I’ll leave that to others…

PM me if there is anything else that I can do!

Good Luck,

Zeb

On calves…

Try training your calves heavy. What worked really well for me was doing something like a 6x4. I pause at the stretched position for 3 seconds before each rep to let the stretch-shortening cycle of the soleus and achilles dissipate. This should force the CNS to recruit more motor units to bring you out of the hole, therefore increasing the training stimulus vs. just bouncing around on your achilles tendon.

I know CW suggests doing energy systems work on a steeply inclined treadmill to bring up lagging calves. Try a seated calf raise once a week and a standing calf raise another day, do some incline treadmill walking, and see what happens.

calves, won’t be much help here, seems as though they just need a shitload of volume, and full range. Factor in decent recovery, of course.

Forearms. I started rock climbing at a gym, every other day. After about three months, my grip didnt’ even seem real, and my forearms were nearly the width of my face when flexed. I looked pretty silly, though, cause i’m 5’10", and i weighted about 155. could do some pretty silly things while crawling around on the ceiling, though.

get a wrist roller. good for your hypertrophy work. do wrist curls(in both directions!) while sitting on a bench facing down the bench with your forearms resting on it, with your hands hanging off. use a barbell, and let it rolland extend your fingers, then roll it back up and flex your wrists.

try to include some pinching work for balance.
check out Ironmind for lots of toys and resources.

thanks for all the responses guys!

I dont half to work calves to hard and I think it goes to the work that I do [carpenter local 480] I would say it comes from climbing ladders all the time with my tool belt on which usualy weighs 25to40 pounds might be somethig for tou to try any opinions out there?

CW just released an article you might find interesting, Perfect 10. Essentially, beat the growth out of your lagging parts. I’m currently applying this to my triceps. When that’s done i’ll apply it to my calves.

The two things that have blown up my calves were farmer’s walks/sprints and split jerks (I switch legs each rep).

You don’t need to move away from your normal training. If you have a day that you do cardio, pick a weight that you can hang clean/split jerk for 10reps and do sets of 5. You’ll be sweating and your calves will have a heck of a time.

My triceps grow well from compound movements, especially dips, so I don’t really do much there. But for the biceps I switch between two things. For a couple of weeks I’ll focus on heavy chinning, then I’ll do heavy power curls with a 5 second eccentric for a few weeks. Cycle that for a while and your arms will be strong, which will lead to future growth.