Persistent Mental Fog

Lately I’ve been experiencing a persistent “foggy” feeling. It hasn’t affected training too significantly - once I’m warmed up, it’s usually not as severe, and my lifts haven’t taken a toll either - but it has interfered with my ability to focus.

I usually sleep around 8-10 hours a night, and eat an average of 3,500 cals at 6’0 and 190 morning bodyweight.

I am also a coffee drinker - anywhere from 1-4 cups a day. How might this be involved?

On a side note, I have also noticed I am more quickly to shortness of breath when I’m in the gym.

Sorry if this isn’t the most clear post…I’m not feeling terribly articulate today. All replies are appreciated.

Did this start happening recently? Anything change in your normal routine? I have fogginess as well when I am over stimulated, but usually not caffiene. It’s usually something like 5 hour energy that causes it. But yes, I think stimulants can cause fogginess from my experience.

i noticed this when i started taking beta blockers years ago. a couple years ago i found vinpocetine to be a pretty good solution for myself.

I think it is normal to feel this way when we become even mildly addicted to caffeine. The “fog” you are feeling is most likely your body’s way of telling you that you need another dose. You may need to go clean (or cut down) for a while. If you do, it has been my experience that it is easier to accomplish if you are doing some form of cardio 3 times a week. This seems to keep the sluggishness or fog at bay.

Yes, this began happening about a week ago.

I have been training hard over the summer months without any designated rest period. I’m starting to think that might be a contributing factor too.

I took two weeks off from caffiene. Felt like shit for the first couple days, but then I felt fantastic. All grogginess went away, was sleeping like a baby at 10PM, and had plenty of energy. I’m back on caffiene now, but it was a nice break.