Perpetually Tight All Over

I don’t know why but of late I’ve been perpetually sore.

Full disclosure my work and personal schedule has prevented me from working out (yes i know I could make time and I’m currently working on that) and my muscles are so sore and tight that I get no relief from stretching or rolling.

Even a intense deep tissue massage feels as if it makes no change.

Any thoughts about possible causes?

Could you maybe enlighten us with which muscles are effected, or are all the muscles tight?

Have you been stressed lately?

Did your work and personal schedule involve alot of sitting?

Sure thing.

calf both soleus and gastrocs. Quads. Glutes. erectors. traps (!!!)

oddly hamstrings don’t feel that tight/sore.

Yes I do have a job where I sit all day and the onset of this soreness is definitely correlated to a former consulting job (quit) and another former job that was some how worse than the consulting job (also left). Current job is a much more relaxed environment but s

[quote]DarrylLicke wrote:
Sure thing.

calf both soleus and gastrocs. Quads. Glutes. erectors. traps (!!!)

oddly hamstrings don’t feel that tight/sore.

Yes I do have a job where I sit all day and the onset of this soreness is definitely correlated to a former consulting job (quit) and another former job that was some how worse than the consulting job (also left). Current job is a much more relaxed environment but s[/quote]

Well, if deep tissue massage, foam rolling and stretching doesn’t work, there must be an underlaying cause preventing you from loosening the muscles up. The underlaying problem is probably bad posture which you need to assess and attack.

Interesting. I’ve never thought of myself having bad posture. I’ll schedule an appointment with my chiro that does ART to see if he can assess. Thanks.

I agree with the below reply about posture. Also, this may seem like one of those stupid little things but, how’s your hydration? I get crampy & stiff anytime my daily water intake falls below about 3/4 gallon. Just a thought.

Definitely considering the posture as I’m noticing the tightness in my traps and neck from looking at my monitors at work. I don’t get a standing desk until Januaryish unless I pluck down my own money.

As for hydration my job provides water bottles as part of a swag bag for joining. They are 24 oz and I drink at least 4 of these a day. Just did the conversion and that comes in lower than 3/4 a gallon so also something to consider.

Oof you sound like me, although I’m getting better. I was also diagnosed with a bit of mygalia although the Rheumatologist didn’t want to stick me in a definitive category.

Sitting in the same position for hours upon days, being stressed, well it did make me very tight. My breathing was off, my posture was off. Without being aware that every time I did get stressed, I would tighten up certain areas. Even now that I’ve worked on stopping this for the last couple of years, I will sometimes just automatically tighten up out of habit. I had to move around away from the desk every 20 minutes. When I’m even cooking I have to make sure I’m doing deep breathing and not tightening up.

You know how you can see some people tighten their jaw, either when they get stressed or are concentrating. You could be doing that with other muscles in your body. Basically even though you are in a new job and the stress has lessened, you might have to retrain yourself out of any habits, first you need to become aware of these. This might just be one of the many things you have to do, its hard to say really.

I’m trying out some magnesium, vitD and extra fish oil, along with a hot shower and some deep breathing exercises before bed. I’m not sure if its helping during the day, but I’ve been sleeping more relaxed this last year.