Perpetually Pumped: Road to BB

[quote]phlegms wrote:

[quote]jake_j_m wrote:

@phlegms: As above, controlling my eccentric/pressing with no bounces (ie. at the bottom, where I’m weak) but not locking out every rep, just taking it to the stage where it’s no effort to lock it out more and just takes tension of chest if I do.

Again though, it ain’t even that srs, because my bench sucks (I just doubt that’s why). In other words- I’ll bench tomorrow locking out every rep and see how it feels, may film it too. Thanks for feedback. Calves/abs to come, exciting.[/quote]

Would you use the same logic for a squat? [/quote]
Happily to be honest. All it is is continuous tension, pretty common bb/hypertrophy technique. As I said, I’ll see how it feels to lock out every rep again, typically I do this on heavier sets anyway.

In

[quote]jake_j_m wrote:

[quote]phlegms wrote:

[quote]jake_j_m wrote:

@phlegms: As above, controlling my eccentric/pressing with no bounces (ie. at the bottom, where I’m weak) but not locking out every rep, just taking it to the stage where it’s no effort to lock it out more and just takes tension of chest if I do.

Again though, it ain’t even that srs, because my bench sucks (I just doubt that’s why). In other words- I’ll bench tomorrow locking out every rep and see how it feels, may film it too. Thanks for feedback. Calves/abs to come, exciting.[/quote]

Would you use the same logic for a squat? [/quote]
Happily to be honest. All it is is continuous tension, pretty common bb/hypertrophy technique. As I said, I’ll see how it feels to lock out every rep again, typically I do this on heavier sets anyway. [/quote]

Probably why you have been struggling to progress both lifts then. Not hating, but time under tension training like that is never going to have much place in something resembling powerlifting training.

You had me at gainz

Consider: if your chest/liftoff strength improves beyond a certain point, then your lockout strength WILL be an issue…

Whatever floats your boat, just my unsolicited thoughts on the matter.

Carry on…

Yeah, I feel if you plan on doing a PL meet it’ll probably be best to practice how you’ll perform. But it’s just advice…

Honestly I just wanted to post that.

I was never out.

Looks like your smolov is back on track. Definitely following again.

@gmoore: Nice, luv that gif.

@phlegms: I don’t squat like that, I just mean I happily would. Again, I lock out most reps when I go heavier so it’s no biggie to start locking out the light stuff too. It’s actually easier just not as pumptastic for chest. My lack of gainz is that’s mostly food intake related with dashings of form breaking down or not doing enough recovery work.

@ryan: <3

@swhole: As above, I lock out when I go heavier, but again, I will lock everything out just for the sake of practising it “PL comp ready” 100% of time. I concede that point makes sense.

@spidey: Appropriate, haha. As above mayn.

@dc: Yeyyy

@rattler: Nice. I reckon it is. We will see when I bench shortly.

Smolov Bench, Week 3, Day 3

Bench (Rest: ~3 minute)
84/185 x 5 - 84/185 x 5 - 84/185 x 5 - 84/185 x 5 - 84/185 x 5 - 84/185 x 5 - 84/185 x 5

Locked out reps fully today, felt easier. Filmed it and my lower back arch is crazy but my bench stroke is still about 3 miles. Realised main thing that reduces range of motion is just keeping shoulders back/down as much as possible. I’m sure I could still take several inches off my stroke with coaching, regardless, wish I had T-Rex arms. But I will eventually not suck regardless, promise guys.

Yep benching is definitely better than last week. A big PR is coming in the near future for sure.

@rattler: Hope so man, 9+ months ago I hit 105kg w/ bb’er form, so the fact 107.5kg is technically my current PR w/ PL form is pretty damn embarrassing.

Random DL + Biceps + Traps

Deadlift
Beltless/1/2" deficit - 133/293 x 5 - 154/340 x 5 - 174/384 x 5

^ Some may laugh at half inch deficit, but I always thought DLing in my home gym was harder and it turns out the bar is a little lower. Since my weakpoint is the bottom couple of inches, half an inch deficit is noticeable. Anyway, strength pretty much sucked today. Haven’t decided what I’m running for squat and/or deadlift now. Considering smolov base again with 160kg max.

Cross-body Hammers
21.6/48s x 10 - 23.6/52s x 10 - 25.6/56s x 7 (+1 from last week)

DB Inc. Curls
13.6/30s x 8 - 15.6/34s x 8 - 17.6/39s x 5 - Default PR, been awhile since I’ve done these

DB Alt. Curl
19.6/43s x 8 - 21.6/48s x 3? - 21.6/48s x 4…

Reverse BB Curl
50/110 x 8 PR - 55/121 x 4.5 PR

Upright Row (wider grip, for lower traps, real hard squeeze at top)
32/71 x 8 - 36/79 x 8 - 40/88 x 8 PR - 45/99 x 5 PR <luv these. super strict.

Deadstop BB Shrug w/strong squeeze
167/368 x 3 - 171/377 x 3 - 177/390 x 3 PR - drop - 137/302 x 6 - 90/198 x 10~ < should have done more volume

Session doesn’t look particularly sessi on paper, but felt really good today besides deadlifts being on the weak side. Need to decide what I’m doing squat wise.

You don’t have any trouble feeling you biceps? Don’t you think you might benefit from doing more reps on some of the exercises?

[quote]samoth2 wrote:
You don’t have any trouble feeling you biceps? Don’t you think you might benefit from doing more reps on some of the exercises?[/quote]
I don’t have any problem feeling them no, great pump. The relatively high rep cross bodys to start warm up the lower biceps nicely, allowing a much greater feel/pump from my second movement which is always a movement with a stretched bottom position (inc. DB, preacher/spider DB/EZ) where 8 reps is plenty per set. The DB alt have an aim of 8 reps per set too, but they didn’t go too well today. The reverse curl I generally prefer higher reps, but this is only the 3rd session I’ve ever been “heavy” on them so I’m just seeing where I can take them. I do think people tend to go too high with reps at times, as long as your picking exercise you feel and smart sequencing you can get a serious pump in only 4-5 sets time IMO.

/essay

If I recall correctly one of Dante’s “fixes” for lacking biceps is upping the rep range. I think it might be worth considering on one of the exercises, even if you feel the lower reps great.

[quote]jake_j_m wrote:
@rattler: Hope so man, 9+ months ago I hit 105kg w/ bb’er form, so the fact 107.5kg is technically my current PR w/ PL form is pretty damn embarrassing.
[/quote]

Did you have any significant set backs throughout those 9 months? I had a big set back during rugby season for my school and was left unable to do pretty much all weight exercises so I know what it’s like to only progress a tiny amount in one year. On the up side though you’re obviously tweaking your form so it works best for you and once you’ve found something optimal then it can only get better.

@samoth: Yeah I definitely like higher reps too, that’s exactly what I was doing before now with my reverse curls to finish up and give a great pump. Will most likely go back to higher reps with those once I’ve seen what sort of weight I can manage to build up to fairly quickly. My arms suck, but have improved a lot thanks to JM/MD style arm training so this is the rough template for what I tend to do. Can only go so far without weight gain though unfortunately.

@rattler: I don’t have any excuses no. Went to Ibiza for a week, dieted for 1 week before it. Besides that, had to finish my degree (but skipped next to no sessions throughout the year despite this). My deadlift improved okish and my squat reasonably significantly (though nearly all from one full smolov cycle). Main improvements are physique/BB wise, but again, there hasn’t been enough weight gain and this is what will be changing. To the kitchen I go.

[quote]jake_j_m wrote:
@rattler: I don’t have any excuses no. Went to Ibiza for a week, dieted for 1 week before it. Besides that, had to finish my degree (but skipped next to no sessions throughout the year despite this). My deadlift improved okish and my squat reasonably significantly (though nearly all from one full smolov cycle). Main improvements are physique/BB wise, but again, there hasn’t been enough weight gain and this is what will be changing. To the kitchen I go.

[/quote]

In that case get eating! Your lifts will go up with a decent weight gain. Any specific goal in that regard or are you just seeing how it goes?

[quote]The Rattler wrote:
In that case get eating! Your lifts will go up with a decent weight gain. Any specific goal in that regard or are you just seeing how it goes?[/quote]
Indeed, hovering about 188-189 morning weight so up over 3lb in under 3 weeks since arriving home from Ibiza. That’s about as quick as it would be sensible to gain weight but I still feel super light since I started RFL at about 192-193 and have been as heavy as 198. Will be a great day when I hit 200lb. Goal is to not really slowdown from 1lb~ gain p/week and see how things look when I’m perhaps 210. If I did a PL meet I’d come back down to the 90/198 class though if I was a little over.

Benching shortly, then my last bench session of the smolov cycle tomorrow! 8 days till PR attempts.

^ Final set of the day is the video- the 3rd rep was one of my quickest of the day but I messed up the 4th a little. Hope you guys prefer this form, I know I do. In b4 g4p.

Smolov Bench: Week 3, Day 3

Bench (Rest: 2-3 mins.)
89/196 x 4 - 89/196 x 4 - 89/196 x 4 - 89/196 x 4 - 89/196 x 4 - 89/196 x 4 - 89/196 x 4 - 89/196 x 4

Spent almost as long warming up as I did with work sets today and it paid off as form felt great once I got into it. My warm up was lots of dislocates and general stretching followed by 4 sets with bar, 2 sets with 40kg, 1 set with 60kg, 1 set with 70kg, single with 80kg and single with 85kg.

I guess it’s worth pointing out that today is a definite volume PR for this weight even with such high frequency compared to once a week lifting. Final day of smolov bench tomorrow should go well, which will also be PR.