Perpetually Inflamed

This is now my second year of lifting where I have constant “breaks” because of nagging injuries. Sometimes my knee, sometimes my elbows, sometimes my shoulders, sometimes my back. I just don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Mind you I’m just 26.

• I take 9 caps Flameout everyday
  • I take 2 canps Curcumin-500 every day (minimum)
  • I take 3 caps FA3 every day
  • I take Vit D 4,000 IU every day
  • I take Rez-V daily
  • My diet is low carb, leaning on some days towards AD
  • I eat about 80% certified organic

I know how to lift, I have the experience, I’ve come here for years now, I’ve trained with the national powerlifting team. My technique is doubtful to be the culprit here. On one note, I have been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (chronic inflammation of the colon), AFAIK this does not affect joints.

What can I do to get rid of all these irritating little pains?

I’m with you on the chronic inflamation thing. I’ve found some relief from some of the methods described here:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDN/is_3_8/ai_107835434/

I’d bet $100 UC isn’t approved to be treated with any of the methods described above, but I’d say it’s worth a shot. Your call. I won’t dare suggest that symptoms WOULD improve with these treatments, but I will say that they could be of benefit. They’ve helped me.

This is also full of good info:

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
I’m with you on the chronic inflamation thing. I’ve found some relief from some of the methods described here:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDN/is_3_8/ai_107835434/

Do you mean the article “Th1/Th2 balance: the hypothesis, its limitations, and implications for health and disease” ?

Update:

Now that I’ve gotten to page 15 of the article, it is giving some methods and makes perfect sense as being the article you had in mind. (Prior to that it wasn’t giving methods and so it seemed as if it might well have been a related but different article.)

Oops.

Yeah I should have mentioned that the discussion is really mixed throughout the article and the article is long and not well laid out with respect to the discussion of supplements (none the less it does a good job of going into detail on the subject).

It goes through the following (on 16-20) http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDN/is_3_8/ai_107835434/pg_16/?tag=content;col1

• Melatonin
  • DHEA
  • Progesterone
  • Minerals: Selenium

It cut off half my post.

Also on 16-20

• Zinc
  • Probiotic Bacteria
  • beta-sitosterol
    & Fish oil

On Pg 22 http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDN/is_3_8/ai_107835434/pg_22/?tag=content;col1

• mushroom extracts
  • vitamin C, glutathione, and other antioxidants
    & fish oil again :slight_smile:

Thanks BP Tiger, I’m gonna take some time to read this article.

I’ve read a few books on dietary influence on UC and I’ve managed to get it under control following specific guidelines (which are pretty consistent with the low-carb diets we’ve learned to love, go figure).

Although being perhaps a bit in over my head in regards to specific interactions the article was very informative.

What supplements do you take to combat this? There are a lot of good suggestions in the article but few recommendations on dosage. I found a good site for mushrooms with 14 assorted blends which tout medicnal properties. Also with the fish oil, how much is really safe? I think with my 9 caps a day I’m already at a pretty high dose but would it help to increase it even further or is the benefit/cost ratio not worth it?

One symptom that people usually get with true joint inflammation is morning stiffness that lasts more than 1 hour. Conditions that cause this include different types of inflammatory arthritis (too many to list but common ones would include (rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis). Sometime this can be difficult to differentiate from joint injuries - but joint aspiration (taking fluid out of the joint and analyzing it) can be helpful if there is an effusion.

[quote]paulMD wrote:
One symptom that people usually get with true joint inflammation is morning stiffness that lasts more than 1 hour. Conditions that cause this include different types of inflammatory arthritis (too many to list but common ones would include (rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis). Sometime this can be difficult to differentiate from joint injuries - but joint aspiration (taking fluid out of the joint and analyzing it) can be helpful if there is an effusion. [/quote]

I can’t recall the source but I believe UC and arthritis are somehow linked/related.

Here is what the Life Extension Foundation recommends: