T Nation

Permanent Damage?

Hey guys

First off, I wouldn't really consider myself a newbie lifter, I have lifted since high school and have never had really any problems...
a little over 2 years ago I crushed a vertebrae and am now getting back into lifting(well, about 3 months now) and everything is going great, I have really surpassed where I was in high school... my question isn't really about that injury, it's kind of complicated...

Used to, I had very good reflexes, reaction times, stuff like that. For example, I work at Lowe's, and when I would drop a light bulb or something I could almost always either catch it before it hit the ground, get my foot under it, something like that...
Not lately though. I am more of a bumbling idiot, it seems, getting a little bit slower on reaction times, etc.

Is it just fatigue? I mean obviously my body is stressed but am I doing more harm than good? (I really stress my body in the weight room, pushing to fail on all of my different exercises, etc).

Anyone have input?

Sleep/eat more, i think your just over looking it. I wouldn't worry, unless an arm falls off.

Listen to your body.....eat/sleep/eat
Pull twice as much as you push and all will balance out
Did I mention eat clean/sleep well/eat clean

The damage is hardly permanent. I had the same problem two summers ago when I was lifting like a fiend, doing personal speed training, team speed training, and working a 7-3 at a camp for kids. Just eat more than you think you need (cleanly) and make sure more than anything, you're getting tons of sleep.

Well I am eating really healthy(I make my own pasta with chicken grilled in Olive Oil, no extra salt, no fast food in weeks) and eating plenty(The last day I did an official count was around 3600 calories a day, I'm not really trying to bodybuild but honestly I want some serious results. So I guess this is probably getting my body fully fatigued, which shouldn't be any surprise, but I just wanted to make sure my nervous system isn't being destroyed or anything. I was just testing the waters to see what everyone was thinking.

Also, I am just trying to train for football in about a month and a half, I think some speed training is in order, I only run a 4.8 40m and I really want to be completely destroying competition on the field.... does anyone have some speed training program I could use to give me some fast gains? I am running stadium stairs, doing cuts on turf, and doing about a mile and a half a day, I know it's not much but I guess I need some suggestions. Anyone know some (freeeeee :slight_smile: ) programs I could work with?

Regardless of whether you're bodybuilding or not, your caloric intake should be ridiculously high both in and out of season to keep what muscle you have and attempt to gain more. The fact that you're 5'9 and 148 tells me you're most likely an ectomorph, which means your caloric intake needs to be even higher than it is now. For years in high school I would work my butt off in the gym and I ate "a lot" compared to others, but not nearly what I needed to grow like I could have.

If you want to get bigger (which I would suggest, almost regardless of what position you are for football) I would shoot for another 500 or so calories a day, especially considering how wiped out you are. Do not be afraid of carbs, especially if you are an ectomorph training heavily and feeling as fatigued as you are.

As far as speed training goes, I would suggest different things based on what position you play or hope to play the upcoming season, as well as your age. For now though, I would suggest totally changing the conditioning work you're doing right now. Running stadium stairs and a mile and a half is not training your fast twitch muscle fibers, that help most in speed and agility. Think about it this way: how often do you run for even over 10 seconds on a football field? Never.

What type of speed training are you looking for? Are you looking to do it yourself or would you be willing to shell out a couple hundred for a professional program?

Well I am really just trying to do it alone, no program really... I mean it's intramurals with my fraternity, not the NFL.

I am definitely an EctoMorph, all through high school I weighed around 123, finally after my injury I decided to hit it harder and become a little bit bigger so my next injury wouldn't take so long to heal up.

I will be playing corner/safety, so basically the things I need to work on are direction changes(backward motion to full forward motion), jump height(I have 'ups' but I haven't measured my vertical in years), and just all around quickness.

I am doing my part with front squats and back squats and powercleans, so I am in shape as far as THAT goes... but less than a month and I am only about 200 feet from two turf fields, and I am itching to start some conditioning. Ideas?

Absolutely. If it is a full contact league, like I said, gaining some muscle would be absolutely great for you in all aspects. Increased strength will only help your speed and agility in the long run. I would add in some deadlifts too if you aren't doing them already. Any posterior chain work will really help you out.

As far as conditioning for speed, agility, and explosiveness goes, it depends on how many days a week you plan on training this way and what your current split is. Right now I'm getting myself into football shape for the upcoming season as well, so I'll give you what I'm using as an example of what I'm talking about.

Monday: Legs/Push Day Lifting
Footwork: Ladders
Agility: T-Drill x 10/NFL combine 3 cone x 10

Tuesdsy: Pull Day LIfting
Prehab work for shoulders and back
Plyometric Work
Long Sprints: 50x5 100x5

Thursday: Legs/Pull Day LIfting
Footwork: Short Hurdles
Heavy Carry

Friday: Push Day LIfting
Agility: Long shuffle/Cone Directionals

Saturday: Plyometric Work
Short Sprints 10x10 20x10

I find for me personally it's better to use a high frequency, low volume approach to conditioning for speed and explosiveness. Here's a basic run through of footwork, agility, sprinting, and plyometric exercises you can do.

Footwork: Ladders (need equipment, I assume you know what these are), short hurdles (Absolutely. If it is a full contact league, like I said, gaining some muscle would be absolutely great for you in all aspects. Increased strength will only help your speed and agility in the long run. I would add in some deadlifts too if you aren't doing them already. Any posterior chain work will really help you out.

As far as conditioning for speed, agility, and explosiveness goes, it depends on how many days a week you plan on training this way and what your current split is. Right now I'm getting myself into football shape for the upcoming season as well, so I'll give you what I'm using as an example of what I'm talking about.

Agility: T-Drill x 10/NFL combine 3 cone x 10

Plyometric Work

Heavy Carry

Agility: Long shuffle/Cone Directionals

I find for me personally it's better to use a high frequency, low volume approach to conditioning for speed and explosiveness. Here's a basic run through of footwork, agility, sprinting, and plyometric exercises you can do.

Footwork: Ladders (need equipment, I assume you know what these are), short hurdles (Absolutely. If it is a full contact league, like I said, gaining some muscle would be absolutely great for you in all aspects. Increased strength will only help your speed and agility in the long run. I would add in some deadlifts too if you aren't doing them already. Any posterior chain work will really help you out.

Agility: T-Drill x 10/NFL combine 5-10-5 x 10

Plyometric Work

Heavy Carry

Agility: Long shuffle/Wave Drill

Footwork: Ladders (need equipment, I assume you know what these are), short hurdles (http://www.reboundsport.com.au/products/quicken_mini_hurdles.gif)

-If you don't have access to equipment then I'd suggest finding a place where you can do a box drill. Basically you use tape, chalk, whatever to make two perpendicular lines.

Imagine the lower left "box" is 1, upper left 2, upper right 3, lower right 4. Jump as quickly as you can, more of a shuffle of the feet than a jump with both or one foot from 1 to 2 for 15 seconds. Repeat as desired. Then 2 to 3. Then 2 to 4. Etc, get creative with the patterns. Always do it for speed, not height.

Agility:

-T-Drill: Put four markers (cones are best, but anything can work) in a T shape, with the I of the T and the -- about five or ten yards each. Start at the bottom of the T. Sprint to the middle cone, shuffle left to cone, shuffle right to cone, then turn, sprint to and around middle cone and past beginning cone. Get creative. Sprint to middle, sides, and back. Back pedal to middle, sprint to sides, back pedal back. Etc.

-NFL combine 5-10-5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8nKrdk8Cas

-Long Shuffle (modified for DB): Put three markers at 0, 5, and 10 yards. Start at first one (0), back pedal to 5 yard, sprint to first, backpedal to 10, sprint to first. Can also be done shuffling.

-Wave Drill: Set up 8 cones/markers staggered five yards apart in an arrangement that'll make you go at a 45 degree angle each cut. / ^ \ v / etc. Start at 1, backpedal until first one in sight, make hard plant or chop feet, whichever is best for you, sprint up to next cone, backpedal to next cone, etc until finish. Can make a constant backpedal to work on swiveling hips.

-Box Drill: Set up 4 markers 10 yards apart as corners of a box. Make one side sprint/backpedal/shuffle whatever, make an arrangement to go around the box.

Sprints: 10 yard dash: Focus on quick start and leaning forward as you explode out of your stance, keeping a low center of gravity.
20 yard dash: Same as 10 for first ten, then start thinking about really breaking into your stride as you finish.
50 yard dash: Same as 20 up to then, then think about staying as relaxed as possible in the upper body as you run, especially the face.
100 yard dash: Stay relaxed in the face, don't tighten up. As you get tired think about pumping your arms the full range of motion in a closed circuit fashion.

Plyometrics: Box jumps: Find something high, jump onto it. Go back to ground. Repeat.
Box jumps for speed: Find something sort of high, jump onto it, step off backwards, jump right back on as soon as you make contact with ground.
One legged Jumps for speed: Find something not high, jump onto it, jump off, both as fast as possible for time.
Depth Jumps: Find something high. Step off and as soon as you hit the ground, jump as high as you can again. (Make sure you are warmed up VERY well before these. Injuries have been known to occur)

If you are lucky enough to have a medicine ball: Behind the Head Throws: Squat down holding (medicine) ball between legs. Explode up with entire body and throw backwards straight up overhead. Keep a flat back.
                           Squat Throws: Start with ball at shoulder level in squat position. Explode up and launch up and forward
                  The name of the game with plyos is quality, NOT quantity. You should have maybe 30-50 full force jumps per session.

I know all of this is a bitch to understand without pictures, I'm sorry. If you give me an idea of what your training looks like, PM perhaps, I can really set something up more specific and detailed. If you decide to start, I would warn you against not wearing cleats. My logic is you play in cleats, you train in cleats.

It helps you get used to the weight. With most of these exercises, the point isn't to run yourself to the point of puking. As a matter of fact, if you are that fatigued, you're actually teaching your body to run slower and with worse form. As a rule of thumb, if you're experiencing a 10% or greater drop off in performance, you should stop and take a break or call it quits for the day. I hope this helps you out.

Definitely helped out, and don't worry too much about the pics, I can look up the one or two drills that I haven't already done, like I said, I've played ball since high school and have been to probably dozens of skills camps... I just never really put myself up to the challenge of making my own workout, it was always what the coach did. So anyway, I really appreciate it!

I will for sure try some of this on my next turf day... I def. agree with the cleats thing and 'practice like you play' mentality, I have been called a practice hero before(that usually goes away after the first game or two though :slight_smile: )

lol no problem, the biggest thing for you to worry about is just not over doing it. Kick some ass, I know my offseason programs have helped me bring it on the field as well.