Periodization

i’m recently switching to a bodybuilding style program. I’ve been doing strength oriented-type training for the past 2 years, and now would rather switch to a hypertrophy-oriented training.

At first I was going to do a non-linear periodization, similar to an intensification/accumulation phase with 3 weeks of high volume, short rest, low intensity (3x10, 4x12, drop sets, iso contrast sets, etc), followed by a week of transition (mostly 4x6 stuff), to 3 weeks of strength work with high intesity, low volume, and long rest (6x3, cluster sets, speed work).

Basically, I was going to rotate between hypertrophy and strength in 3 week blocks with a one week block separating the two that allowed for a transition/active recovery phase. I still want to maintain my strength, hopefully increase it but my main goal is increasing muscle mass.

I’ve read through every T-Nation article, and now want some other’s opinions. Should I stay with this type of training or should I switch to a conjugate style training in which one day of the week is focused on strength and the other day of the week is focused on hypertrophy? thanks for any and all suggestions

Hey Bro,

(1) Remember that strength is your best friend when it comes to hypertrophy.

(2) Accumulation/Intensification phases would be a great approach. You can incorporate the conjugate method inside these blocks. Accumulation phases would have focuses on hypertrophy. Intensification, strength is emphasized.

(3)I think the 1 day hypertrophy, 1 day strength, and etc would be a good choice though. Similar to WS4SB. Check out Defranco’s site.

-The Truth

[quote]tallan_30 wrote:
i’m recently switching to a bodybuilding style program. I’ve been doing strength oriented-type training for the past 2 years, and now would rather switch to a hypertrophy-oriented training.

At first I was going to do a non-linear periodization, similar to an intensification/accumulation phase with 3 weeks of high volume, short rest, low intensity (3x10, 4x12, drop sets, iso contrast sets, etc), followed by a week of transition (mostly 4x6 stuff), to 3 weeks of strength work with high intesity, low volume, and long rest (6x3, cluster sets, speed work).

Basically, I was going to rotate between hypertrophy and strength in 3 week blocks with a one week block separating the two that allowed for a transition/active recovery phase. I still want to maintain my strength, hopefully increase it but my main goal is increasing muscle mass.

I’ve read through every T-Nation article, and now want some other’s opinions. Should I stay with this type of training or should I switch to a conjugate style training in which one day of the week is focused on strength and the other day of the week is focused on hypertrophy? thanks for any and all suggestions [/quote]