T Nation

Periodization

I would like to know what method of periodization people are generally follonwing these days?
Linear: e.g. Hypertrophy phase 2-3 weeks, then strenth phase 2-3 weeks, power phase 2-3 weeks
Or Non linear where you train Power, strenght and hypertrophy all in the same week and rotate every 2-3 weeks, or pendulum type periodization where you train Hypertophy for week 1, moderate intensity week 2, then strenth training week 3 etc
Which method is the best?

Regards

Jay

Oh I forgot to mention my main aim is to gain mass

Have you ever tried reading some of the thousands of bodybuilding articles and forum posts on THIS SITE (which would require some clicking and moving of a mouse and PATIENCE), specifically those posted in the Beginner’s section in which CT spells out what noobs need to do, let alone god knows how much material is available all over the web?

Considering you’re a TOTAL noob (we’ve seen your picture and read other stuff from you) you shouldn’t even be concerned with anything but the most basic noob routine which requires hardly any periodization (eg, “flat periodization” if you prefer formal or fancy terms), but just a damn simple full body or upper-lower routine of basic exercises with 3 x 8-12 or 5 x 5!

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Have you ever tried reading some of the thousands of bodybuilding articles and forum posts on THIS SITE (which would require some clicking and moving of a mouse and PATIENCE), specifically those posted in the Beginner’s section in which CT spells out what noobs need to do, let alone god knows how much material is available all over the web?

Considering you’re a TOTAL noob (we’ve seen your picture and read other stuff from you) you shouldn’t even be concerned with anything but the most basic noob routine which requires hardly any periodization (eg, “flat periodization” if you prefer formal or fancy terms), but just a damn simple full body or upper-lower routine of basic exercises with 3 x 8-12 or 5 x 5![/quote]

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

Considering you’re a TOTAL noob (we’ve seen your picture and read other stuff from you) you shouldn’t even be concerned with anything but the most basic noob routine which requires hardly any periodization (eg, “flat periodization” if you prefer formal or fancy terms), but just a damn simple full body or upper-lower routine of basic exercises with 3 x 8-12 or 5 x 5![/quote]

Finally starting to write on this forum, but if you are a beginner as he said… I would stick with a general beginners workout and once you stop seeing gains, tweak it a little or try another beginners workout.
But at the same time I think about when I started, I wish I would’ve incorporated some strength, cause everyone loves lifting heavy right?

As for periodization, currently I rotate between accumulation and intensification phases and I’m seeing great results. Go spend some time online, looking at a variety of people’s methodologies

Goodluck!

YOUR GOAL IS TO GAIN MASS MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE HYPERTROPHY PHASE FOLLOWED BY HYPERTROPHY PHASE, AND CONCLUDE WITH HYPERTROPHY PHASE

after 10 years on this site??

Well that depends on your progress and hwat you “need”.

IME at the intermediate level light days are a must.
Be it that you mimic the heavy days with a lighter weight, or that you just split up between heavy low reps and lighter higher reps.

Many templates integrate this: De franco, westside with ME work and RE work,531 with lighter accessories or a simple Heavy/light template.