T Nation

Periodization Help

I’ve searched the forums but couldn’t find the answers i was looking for…

I wanted to know what kinds of periodization have people on here used with the most success. please give as much detail as possible.

If this question has been answered before, please post the link. thanks.

i’ve tried a routine called power-rep range-shock with some success. it’s basically a week of all heavy, compound movements in the 4-6 range. then rep range the following week with reps anywhere from 8-15, an finally a shock week which is high intensity work…mostly supersets, drop sets, pre/post exhaust. i like having something new to look forward to each week and the varying stimulus works well in keeping your body guessing. here’s a link to a forum and an article covering the basics if you’re curious…

ironmagazineforums.com/training/31408-
power-rep-range-shock-basics.html

[quote]1morerep wrote:
i’ve tried a routine called power-rep range-shock with some success. it’s basically a week of all heavy, compound movements in the 4-6 range. then rep range the following week with reps anywhere from 8-15, an finally a shock week which is high intensity work…mostly supersets, drop sets, pre/post exhaust. i like having something new to look forward to each week and the varying stimulus works well in keeping your body guessing. here’s a link to a forum and an article covering the basics if you’re curious…

ironmagazineforums.com/training/31408-
power-rep-range-shock-basics.html
[/quote]

hey, thanks for the reply.

this program look pretty interesting and i think i’m gonna try it.
did you use these exact exercises and sets/ reps? how long did you progress for? did you eventually plateau?

no problem…i used exercises that fit the nature of the week. for power week, i stick to exercises that are the least likely to bother my injuries. for rr and shock weeks, i don’t have any preference. i just switch them up the for the next go around after you’ve completed your 9 weeks. i try to keep the reps close to what he recommends. for power stuff, once i’m getting more than 6 reps, it’s time to increase the weight.

for rr, if i’m getting less than 8, then it’s too heavy. guidelines like that will keep u on track. sets are more subjective. volume depends on your recovery ability. each body part gets hit once a week so i think it’s safe to tack on more volume each succsessive leg (3 weeks) . then after 3 cycles (9 weeks) you back off by taking a full week off or really scaling back to rest your cns and joints, etc.

everyone on any program plateaus. but the variety of this routine keeps that from happening too quickly. i can’t really remember how long as i’ve used this on and off for quite a while. just keep a training log of your weights and reps and try to beat your previous numbers. that’s helped me a great deal.

I think it depends mostly on your goals … if you’re an athlete training for a specific sports performance enhancement then obviously you incorporate according to your goals … so, like what are you goals and stuff?

[quote]polo77j wrote:
I think it depends mostly on your goals … if you’re an athlete training for a specific sports performance enhancement then obviously you incorporate according to your goals … so, like what are you goals and stuff?[/quote]

right now i want size/strength…no concern on dropping body fat for the time being. i think i’ve pretty much reached my strength potential for the amount of muscle i currently have and want to add more size…then increase the strength…etc.

try this:

Phase I ? Density Habituation ( 2 weeks)

Number of exercises per muscle group: 3 for large groups, 2 for small groups
Number of sets per exercise: 4
Number of reps per set: 12
Rest between sets: 45 seconds for compound, 30 seconds for isolation work
Workout duration: workout must be completed in 50 minutes or less

Training Split

Monday: Chest, shoulders, triceps
Tuesday: Back, biceps, forearms
Wednesday: Quads, hamstrings, calves
Thursday: Chest, shoulders, triceps
Friday: Back, biceps, forearms
Saturday: Quads, hamstrings, calves
Sunday: OFF

Phase II ? Density Accumulation (2 weeks)

Number of exercises per muscle group: 2
Number of sets per exercise: 6
Number of reps per set: 8
Rest between sets: 30 seconds
Workout duration: workout must be completed in 45 minutes or less

Training Split

Phase III ? Density Intensification (2 weeks)

Number of sets per exercise: 8
Number of reps per set: 6
Rest between sets: 20 seconds
Workout duration: workout must be completed in 40 minutes or less

Training Split

Phase IV ? Density Peaking (2 weeks)

Number of exercises per muscle group: 1
Number of sets per exercise: 12
Number of reps per set: 4
Rest between sets: 15 seconds
Workout duration: workout must be completed in 30 minutes or less

Training Split

Phase V ? Recovery (2 weeks)

Number of sets per exercise: 3
Number of reps per set: 10
Rest between sets: 45 seconds
Workout duration: workout must be completed in 45 minutes or less

Training Split

Tuesday: OFF
Wednesday: Back, biceps, forearms
Thursday: OFF
Friday: Quads, hamstrings, calves
Saturday: OFF

I was impressed with an undulating periodization plan I got from Alwyn Cosgrove’s book The New Rules of Lifting. I’ve included a web link below to an almost identical plan he published free online.

In summary, you mix up the rep schemes for EVERY workout. For example, using an upper/lower split, would look like this:
Tuesday - upper body 5x5 (90s RI)
Wednesday - lower body 4x10 (60s RI)
Friday - upper body 3x15 (30s RI)
Sunday - lower body 5x5 (90s RI)
Tuesday - upper body 4x10 (60s RI)
Etc, rotating each of the three rep scheme parameters for each session.

I loved these programmes and experienced post-exercise muscle fatigue every workout, while added load poundage most sessions - two good indicators of growth. Programmes last about six weeks depending on workout frequency.

Almost true to form, during the last week I would experience a slight plateau where the post-workout fatigue would drop off and load progression halt. That was the sign the programme had peaked and it was time to move on, ala periodization!

However, I should also mention the virtue of a straight phase (without rep variance) for six weeks or so targeting strength, e.g. using wave reps, etc. Again, I did this prior to the undulating programme and loved it.

My periodization training philosophy hence looks like this:
Strength phase - 6 weeks total
Hypertrophy phase (comprised of two-three volume routines, e.g. undulating periodization programe; then GVT programme) - 12 weeks total
Fat loss phase - 4 weeks
Repeat…