Periodization Bible Template: Adding Weight? Accessory Work on Press/Bench?

I’m doing 5/3/1 from 5/3/1 The Simplest and Most Effective Training System for Raw Strength and following Assistance Work #4: Periodization Bible by Dave Tate.

1. I went pretty light on my press. I wasn’t comfortable with the standing press and was worried about my form. I started at a training max of 105. I just finished week 3 and did 6 reps at 95%. Should I add 5lbs next cycle after de-load week or go heavier?

2. For the assistant work I’ve been doing bench press for lower weight and higher reps on my press day and pressing for lower weight and higher reps on my bench press day. Good idea or bad idea? Thanks!

1. Never add more than the prescribed amount -for any reason. Six on your top set of your 3rd week isn’t a ridiculous effort. In fact when I struggle to get 5 on my last set of week 3, I will reset my TM lower the next cycle. 5lb is enough. In a few cycles the weight will catch up to you.

2. I guess that’s ok. If you feel comfortable doing variations i.e. close grip bench and incline bench press, those are good too.

As stated before, you should be able to get 5 strong reps on your top set of the 95% week. This ensures that you have the correct TM. For the sake of simplicity, we call it “5 @ 95”.

Thanks guys