Peri-Workout Replace PWO?

Quick question- if I sip at a protein/carb drink during my workout, do I still need a postworkout shake for recovery?

Depends on what you consider “need”

I’m of the opinion that “best” would be yes…still do a PWO drink.

However, I’m gonna guess that you’re not likely to die if you don’t :slight_smile:

[quote]Roundhead wrote:
Quick question- if I sip at a protein/carb drink during my workout, do I still need a postworkout shake for recovery?[/quote]

Impossible to say without knowing a whole lot more more about you, your diet, and your training.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Impossible to say without knowing a whole lot more more about you, your diet, and your training.[/quote]

Oh right, OK. Well I’m just starting BJJ, training two-four times a week, plus three weight lifting sessions and two-four conditioning sessions, depending on time and fatigue. I am an ecto, insomuch as I am tall and have a fast metabolism. I am aiming to increase strength and flexibility, but its all about improving BJJ.

Is that enough info? I just finished the “are you still drinking gatorade?” article, and was wondering how sipping at a carb/protein drink while lifting or at BJJ would affect my need for PWO shake.

[quote]Roundhead wrote:
HK24719 wrote:
Impossible to say without knowing a whole lot more more about you, your diet, and your training.

Oh right, OK. Well I’m just starting BJJ, training two-four times a week, plus three weight lifting sessions and two-four conditioning sessions, depending on time and fatigue. I am an ecto, insomuch as I am tall and have a fast metabolism. I am aiming to increase strength and flexibility, but its all about improving BJJ.

Is that enough info? I just finished the “are you still drinking gatorade?” article, and was wondering how sipping at a carb/protein drink while lifting or at BJJ would affect my need for PWO shake.[/quote]

Whether you should have a per-workout shake depends on the size of your peri-workout drink.

My suggestion is to experiment by using both per- and PWO-drinks. As long as your body comp remains favorable you’ll have better recovery this way.

My recommendations are based on one using Surge Recovery (or the same active ingredients: WPH, dextrose, malto, BCAA).