Peri-Workout Nutrition

I am looking for some help with regards to peri-workout nutrition.

Firstly, I appreciate that the Biotest products are probably superior, but with Plazma coming in at $120 a bottle in my locale (UK), it simply isn’t possible.

Instead I use something which costs $130 for 5kg (11lbs). I make up a shake consisting of 120g, which contains the following:

Energy: 367 Kcal
Protein (as-is): 32g
Carbohydrates: 67g

Leucine: 7.3g
Glutamine: 6.0g
Creatine Monohydrate: 4g
Vitamin C: 0.7g
Electrolytes: 0.7g

I drink approximately half of this about 10 mins before beginning my warmup (agile 8/11). I then drink the other half throughout the workout (normally finishing it during the 531 lift).

In terms of other supplements, the only one I take is fish oil.

My BW is about 83kg/180#, with 1RMs at 2.5/2.0/1.5/1.0 (DL/S/BP/P) of bodyweight. The weights are steadily going up on the programme (as is my body weight).

So my questions are whether I am doing it ‘right’. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information. Specific questions:

1. Am I taking the nutrition at the right time surrounding the workout?
  2. Am I taking on enough peri-workout nutrition calories/carbs/protein?
  3. Should I add some ‘after workout’ protein/carbs?
  4. Any other suggestions?

As long as you are seeing steady gains I’d say it’s good.
If you start to stall that would be the time to make changes.

You should be taking in 70g of Carbs postworkout not 67. But in all seriousness, I get ya , my budget for groceries is 150 a week for me and the wife and that includes supps. Would be a little hard to get her to eat plain rice so I can have plasma. Id go with the old poliquin tip, go to a local winemaker and get a load of dextrose for next to nothing, then just mix it with your protein, you’re set.

I personally use BCAAs During a workout 20ish grams, then 50g protein and 100g carbs. I dont fuck with that recipe that much. I know theres a bunch of shit out there now with pulsing and drinking shit while you work out, If I do that Im bloated as hell, the only thing that deosnt do that is BCAAs and they also taste rotten so they get you a little pissed off for your lifts.

The only thing I drink during workout is 25g dextrose mixed with water. Pre-, I have a cup of coffee and some BCAA’s. Post I have protein and dextrose.

My body is fuelled by a slow burning rage that was built through years of bitterness and disappointment.

I’m still kind of fat so my peri workout nutrition comes from my love handles and a pre-workout protein shake.

[quote]some_dude wrote:
My body is fuelled by a slow burning rage that was built through years of bitterness and disappointment. [/quote]

I did try Caffeine and Hatred (and sometimes a little Whiskey), but that didn’t work out too well.

[quote]daniel4738 wrote:

[quote]some_dude wrote:
My body is fuelled by a slow burning rage that was built through years of bitterness and disappointment. [/quote]

I did try Caffeine and Hatred (and sometimes a little Whiskey), but that didn’t work out too well.[/quote]

I’ve found whiskey is better for a nagging conscience or wife than nagging love handles, but your mileage may vary.

People really stress about shit like this?

[quote]Rupert531 wrote:
People really stress about shit like this?[/quote]

Yes … apparently people really do ‘stress’ about maintaining, reviewing and adapting an effective nutrition plan relative to their strength training goals.

[quote]Rupert531 wrote:

Unfortunately so.

Best just to enjoy the process and knowledge gained, as you fuck up along the way.

[quote]ChongLordUno wrote:

[quote]Rupert531 wrote:

Unfortunately so.

Best just to enjoy the process and knowledge gained, as you fuck up along the way.
[/quote]
I’m enjoying all these PRs I’m breaking, thanks though. I’ll let y’all get back to your smoothie making contest.

[quote]some_dude wrote:

hahaha, i know the feeling!

[quote]ChongLordUno wrote:

[quote]Rupert531 wrote:

Unfortunately so.

[/quote]

Correct. Some classic responses on this waste of a thread!

People often overstate (and understate) the importance of peri-workout nutrition. Some of the biggest, strongest people ever to live got that way by eating big and clean, and putting in time under the bar. I doubt Arnold, Bill Kazmeier or Lou Ferrigno stressed out about how much Leucine they consumed pre-workout.

And the “smarter” we get with workout nutrition, the more it seems to take priority over the basics: Eat, lift, sleep, repeat. Once you’ve mastered those key points, feel free to spend 100+ dollars on fancy supplements.

But I am not saying that peri-workout nutrition isn’t important. But nine times out of ten the kid asking me “what I take” is putting the cart before the horse. I “take” 250 grams of protein per day, fish oil, a multivitamin, and Jim Wendler’s Boring But Big GVT program. That’s what I take.

The peri-workout frenzy is driven in large part by the supplement industry and their desire to sell products. I respect their ingenuity and business-savvy. But a lifter who stresses out about how much Leucine he should take is missing the forest for the trees IMO…

Jim seems to think that Plazma is worth the price tag…

“Now that I’ve been using the stuff for several months, there’s no doubt left in my mind. The Plazma protocol is amazing! And anything that allows me to train harder and reach my goals quicker is worth its weight in gold to me. In fact, I’ve worked with Biotest to help determine the best supplementation for my own training.”

[quote]GraniteJack wrote:
People often overstate (and understate) the importance of peri-workout nutrition. Some of the biggest, strongest people ever to live got that way by eating big and clean, and putting in time under the bar. I doubt Arnold, Bill Kazmeier or Lou Ferrigno stressed out about how much Leucine they consumed pre-workout.

And the “smarter” we get with workout nutrition, the more it seems to take priority over the basics: Eat, lift, sleep, repeat. Once you’ve mastered those key points, feel free to spend 100+ dollars on fancy supplements.

But I am not saying that peri-workout nutrition isn’t important. But nine times out of ten the kid asking me “what I take” is putting the cart before the horse. I “take” 250 grams of protein per day, fish oil, a multivitamin, and Jim Wendler’s Boring But Big GVT program. That’s what I take.

The peri-workout frenzy is driven in large part by the supplement industry and their desire to sell products. I respect their ingenuity and business-savvy. But a lifter who stresses out about how much Leucine he should take is missing the forest for the trees IMO…[/quote]

best post on this thread imo!

This damn thread just won’t die. I can’t believe people feel this strongly about peri workout nutrition considering it wasn’t a thing till like 2007.

[quote]knormxxx wrote:
This damn thread just won’t die. [/quote]

Then stop posting in it & bumping it to the top.

[quote]knormxxx wrote:
This damn thread just won’t die. I can’t believe people feel this strongly about peri workout nutrition considering it wasn’t a thing till like 2007. [/quote]

You mean no one ate before/during/after workouts prior to that?