T Nation

Peri-Workout Nutrition

Obviously Biotest supplement are second to none, but expensive. My question:

If I were to have FINiBARs prior to working out, and then Surge workout fuel intra workout, and Surge recovery for post workout, does this constitute a good peri workout regiment? What if I left out the Surge recovery fuel, and had a shake, and then a meal an hour later? What are people’s thoughts? What is the MOST cost effective way to do peri-workout?

[quote]TroyerPerformLLC wrote:
What are people’s thoughts? What is the MOST cost effective way to do peri-workout?[/quote]

Whey and dextrose powder or grape juice.

[quote]TroyerPerformLLC wrote:

What if I left out the Surge recovery fuel, and had a shake, and then a meal an hour later??[/quote]

well considering that there were heavily muscled people before these supplements–more muscled than we’ll ever be–you might continue to make progress with whatever regimen you use.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]TroyerPerformLLC wrote:
What are people’s thoughts? What is the MOST cost effective way to do peri-workout?[/quote]

Whey and dextrose powder or grape juice.
[/quote]

Yea Whey + Dextrose + Maltodextrin

You can buy the carbs pretty cheap – also both come in bulk. Dextrose is sweet, maltodextrin is somewhat bland. Definitely more cost effective than the nicely labeled stuff. Although if I was rich I would buy more Biotest because they helped me before and because I really value the content this magazine provides.

I guess I didn’t clarify. I have enough to buy Biotest supps. I am wondering of all of their supplements, what would be the most cost effective way to do their peri-workout nutrition. What do I not need. What do I absolutely need to max gains. I thought FINiBar, Surge Workout, Surge Recovery.

[quote]TroyerPerformLLC wrote:
I guess I didn’t clarify. I have enough to buy Biotest supps. I am wondering of all of their supplements, what would be the most cost effective way to do their peri-workout nutrition. What do I not need. What do I absolutely need to max gains. I thought FINiBar, Surge Workout, Surge Recovery. [/quote]

Finibar 45-60 pre, Anaconda during, MAG-10 1 hour later.

It’s the latest protocol Biotest uses.

[quote]TroyerPerformLLC wrote:
Obviously Biotest supplement are second to none, but expensive. My question:

If I were to have FINiBARs prior to working out, and then Surge workout fuel intra workout, and Surge recovery for post workout, does this constitute a good peri workout regiment? What if I left out the Surge recovery fuel, and had a shake, and then a meal an hour later? What are people’s thoughts? What is the MOST cost effective way to do peri-workout?[/quote]

“If I were to have FINiBARs prior to working out, and then Surge workout fuel intra workout, and Surge recovery for post workout”

This is what i do now, and it works great for me.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]TroyerPerformLLC wrote:

What if I left out the Surge recovery fuel, and had a shake, and then a meal an hour later??[/quote]

well considering that there were heavily muscled people before these supplements–more muscled than we’ll ever be–you might continue to make progress with whatever regimen you use. [/quote]

x2… consistency in progressing and consistency trumps all. And most (myself included) are or have lacked this.

[quote]TroyerPerformLLC wrote:
what would be the most cost effective way to do their peri-workout nutrition.[/quote]
“Most cost effective” being the keywords I’m seeing, I’d say Surge Recovery by itself, either during the session or a serving before and one during. It worked plenty fine for years before Anaconda, MAG-10, and Surge Workout Fuel were around, though those are another level.

To kick peri-workout up a notch, while still thinking “cost effective”, I’d either go:
A) Anaconda during training with either Finibars or Surge Workout Fuel pre-workout
or B) Finibars or Surge Workout Fuel pre-WO, MAG-10 during, and another MAG-10 post-WO.

Protein and carbs. Either from Surge Recovery or a combo of Anaconda or MAG-10 and Finibars or Surge Workout Fuel.

Rice Milk + Banana + Whey?

Anyone object? Though rice milk is pretty expensive…

[quote]giograves wrote:
Rice Milk + Banana + Whey?

Anyone object? Though rice milk is pretty expensive…[/quote]

why rice milk? I’ve just been doing whey hydro+banana … overall nutritional intake consistently > peri-workout nutrition

Honestly, I’ve been using 10g WPI + 5g cocunut oil 30 mins pre, and WPI/CHO/leucine 30 mins PWO, and eating solid carbs + protein an hour or so after. (modified IF/CBL) I’m doing lots of volume + low/med intensity (Serge N style) and recovering fine, as my overall diet seems to be in check.

Biotest stuff is ‘next level’ for sure, but I prefer to spend my extra cash on women, booze and trivial pursuits ;0)My opinion is you can making steady gains with basic pre/peri/post WO nutrition, as have many many guys with awesome bodies in the past (as mentioned in previous post). If you want to spend any extra cash on 'super supplements 'then I feel that’s fair enough.

Just my insignificant little bit

[quote]moogweasel wrote:
Honestly, I’ve been using 10g WPI + 5g cocunut oil 30 mins pre, and WPI/CHO/leucine 30 mins PWO, and eating solid carbs + protein an hour or so after. (modified IF/CBL) I’m doing lots of volume + low/med intensity (Serge N style) and recovering fine, as my overall diet seems to be in check.

Biotest stuff is ‘next level’ for sure, but I prefer to spend my extra cash on women, booze and trivial pursuits ;0)My opinion is you can making steady gains with basic pre/peri/post WO nutrition, as have many many guys with awesome bodies in the past (as mentioned in previous post). If you want to spend any extra cash on 'super supplements 'then I feel that’s fair enough.

Just my insignificant little bit[/quote]

Funny you mention the high volume / Serge style workout, I started it yesterday and it took me about an hour and half. Made me rethink my peri w/o nutrition. I’m now going for the poor man’s version and going to use Whey + Dextrose like it was suggested in here. 2lbs for $5, can’t beat that as a broke college student lol.

Jldume

Yeah, if you wait the recommended 15 minutes between muscle groups, and take max recommended rest, those sessions can go over 1.5 hours. That said, if you go straight from one muscle group to the next, and use minimum rest periods, it can be done in an hour. Sometimes time constaints force me to do this - usually I try to progress in at least in terms of weight used of rest periods - for one exercise per session. After lowering weight and rest periods, I’ve not noticed any decrease in performance for upcoming work outs. When they have been going on for maybe 1.5 hours, I’ve felt OK, as the exercise selections are not CNS intensive.

In my opinion, if Glycogen levels in the muscle are good (as you filled up appropriatetly after previous work out), there shouldn’t be a big drop in performance after and hour…1.5. I’m thinking of sipping a little CHO during the workouts if they last this long, but at the moment I feel fine and am progressing, so I’ll save it until I need it me thinks. Let me know how you get on - be interesting to compare your experience doing the higher volume type stuff. My way in term of pre/peri WO nutrition isn’t optimal for sure, but I’m making steady progress.

Nice one

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

why rice milk? I’ve just been doing whey hydro+banana … overall nutritional intake consistently > peri-workout nutrition[/quote]

Rice milk has the same glucose polymers as whole food rice, except now in a rapid absorption (insulin spiking) diabetic kryptonite form. But yeah, I’m a fattie endo type and probably am insulin sensitive enough where I don’t need it.

Also have used Karo’s corn syrup which supposedly is pure glucose and I still use 23g of powdered gatorade+Whey during the workout, but again probably doing me more harm than good since I’m carb sensitive but it gets me through without the hunger pangs.

Anaconda or MAG-10, -just 1 scoop of a casein hydrolysate product pretty much anywhere peri workout will massively boost recovery, spend the rest of your money on whey/ quality foods, maybe a spike pill if your workouts need a kick.

do many people take a casein hydro product which is non Biotest?

i am thinking of getting one but it is pretty expensive am interested in what results were noticed/ how much of an effect it had.

i would get Anaconda etc but it is easily double the US price where i am which I can’t justify (unless it was literally miraculous).