Peri-Workout Nutrition without Supplements

I am fully aware that supplements are incredibly useful. However, I am curious about the best possible peri-workout nutrition without them.

Good question…I would say milk and fruit juice of some sort.

not mixed together though eeww.
if i work out after uni 6pmish (like 2morrow)
over the day i have porridge+protein powder in morning, 4 litres of milk spaced out during the day, roast dinner at lunch (uni food so good!) and a tuna sandwich just before. itreat the whole 12 to 24 hours before that hour of pain as nutritional preperation, i suck otherwise

thats typically what i do on wednesday, cos i can eat and drink during the 3 lectures, and the roast is meat and veg stuff grown and slaughtered by the agricultural students onsite and prepared by very good cooks. £3.25, one of the few perks at uni

I think I read in Ferruggia/McDonald articles - low fat chocolate milk as post work out drink. Also an orange immediately after work out for cortisol reduction (per coach Thib).

Pre workout - A solid meal containing lean protein, a starchy carbohydrate, and some healthy fat one hour prior to training.

During workout - Water

Post Workout - Whey (or low fat ricotta cheese), skim milk, oats, honey, and banana. Mix this in a blender with ice.

Post-Post workout - Eat a meal similar to your pre workout meal one hour or so after the shake.

You do not need any supplements to be successful at this regardless of what the magazines and supp companies tell you. The old time greats had a few supplements. They were Eggs, Milk, and heavy Cream.

[quote]Joebob wrote:
Pre workout - A solid meal containing lean protein, a starchy carbohydrate, and some healthy fat one hour prior to training.

During workout - Water

Post Workout - Whey (or low fat ricotta cheese), skim milk, oats, honey, and banana. Mix this in a blender with ice.

Post-Post workout - Eat a meal similar to your pre workout meal one hour or so after the shake.

You do not need any supplements to be successful at this regardless of what the magazines and supp companies tell you. The old time greats had a few supplements. They were Eggs, Milk, and heavy Cream. [/quote]

…and steroids.

[quote]mmllcc wrote:
Joebob wrote:

During workout - Water

You do not need any supplements to be successful at this regardless of what the magazines and supp companies tell you. The old time greats had a few supplements. They were Eggs, Milk, and heavy Cream.

…and steroids.[/quote]

I’m talking pre-steroids here.

joebob, any offhand examples of who you’re talking about specifically?

(not that i really use supplements anyways)