Peri Workout Nutrition - Quick Question

So i have Oatmeal, Protein powder and Tang at my disposal for making a peri workout nutrition. I was wondering how can i set it up around my workout?

I was thinking

1hour - 1/2 cup of oatmeal and 27grams of protein powder

30minutes - 1 scoop of tang

during workout - 2 scoops of tang, protein powder 27 grams

after workout - 27grams of protein powder

Is that a good way to do it? Im not exactly sure if your supposed to have whey and tang during the workout? or only the tang?

This is why you are a level zero…

[quote]optheta wrote:
So i have Oatmeal, Protein powder and Tang at my disposal for making a peri workout nutrition. I was wondering how can i set it up around my workout?

I was thinking

Is that a good way to do it? Im not exactly sure if your supposed to have whey and tang during the workout? or only the tang? [/quote]

Why use tang? I imagine it doesn’t mix all that well with protein powder. Maltodextrin is dirt cheap if the issue is price.

[quote]Efuchs7 wrote:
This is why you are a level zero…[/quote]

PWNED, in classic T-Nation fashion (completely unhelpful, however).

[quote]Efuchs7 wrote:
This is why you are a level zero…[/quote]

I have spent untold amounts of money on Biotest supplements from this site through my screen name and still show up as a level zero. So don’t use that pussy cop-out. If you want to recommend something do it, but don’t make some smart ass remark.

Try the Surge Workout Performance Fuel. I also use the FINiBARs about thirty minutes prior to a workout. Sorry I can’t comment on the use of oatmeal and tang for peri-workout nutrition.

[quote]optheta wrote:

I was thinking

Is that a good way to do it? Im not exactly sure if your supposed to have whey and tang during the workout? or only the tang? [/quote]

Well, if these are literally the only things at your disposal, then you can make do with it. The oatmeal an hour before with protein is a great idea. If you spike your insulin with the tang 30 min out, you will probably crash before you even workout, leading to not as good results. I would take the tang and protein about 10-15 min before and sip on it throughout.

On another note, maltodextrin and waxy maize are both good, cheap carbs that work better than this combination. If you aren’t interested in CT’s protocol, I would say that using either 2 peri-workout would work well too,

[quote]optheta wrote:

I was thinking

I’m thinking the oats would slow down the absorption of everything afterwards, you may get lucky if you buy the cheap, smaller oats (higher glycemic index, faster absorption) and put them in a shake rather than eating them.

My 2 cents

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:
optheta wrote:

I was thinking

Is that a good way to do it? Im not exactly sure if your supposed to have whey and tang during the workout? or only the tang?

Well, if these are literally the only things at your disposal, then you can make do with it. The oatmeal an hour before with protein is a great idea. If you spike your insulin with the tang 30 min out, you will probably crash before you even workout, leading to not as good results. I would take the tang and protein about 10-15 min before and sip on it throughout.

On another note, maltodextrin and waxy maize are both good, cheap carbs that work better than this combination. If you aren’t interested in CT’s protocol, I would say that using either 2 peri-workout would work well too,

[/quote]

So i tried mixing tang and my protein powder together no dice i felt like vomitting after drinking it soooo nasty. So If i had to choose which one to drink during my workout which would be better? 2 scoops of tang or Protein powder?

[quote]SSVegeta wrote:
Efuchs7 wrote:
This is why you are a level zero…

I have spent untold amounts of money on Biotest supplements from this site through my screen name and still show up as a level zero.[/quote]

Sounds like a personal problem.

Notes taken. Try the tang 15 minutes before your workout. What kind of protein powder are you using? You might want to wait 30 to 60 minutes after the workout the have that second serving of protein as now recommended going from a state of amino depletion to ample amounts is what saturation is what cause anabolism… This is also in a greater effect depending on what kind of protein you use… I’d also recommend the dextrose or maltodextrin if you can’t get Surge recovery to spike insulin rather than just sugar or gasp… high fructose corn syrup. And by the way I have my FINiBARs 45 minutes before the workout :wink:

[quote]optheta wrote:
ebomb5522 wrote:
optheta wrote:

I was thinking

So i tried mixing tang and my protein powder together no dice i felt like vomitting after drinking it soooo nasty. So If i had to choose which one to drink during my workout which would be better? 2 scoops of tang or Protein powder?
[/quote]

If you’re really set on that, why not chug a shake, then drink a glass of tang.

It’s not like you HAVE to mix them together.

[quote]silverhydra wrote:
optheta wrote:

I was thinking

I’m thinking the oats would slow down the absorption of everything afterwards, you may get lucky if you buy the cheap, smaller oats (higher glycemic index, faster absorption) and put them in a shake rather than eating them.

My 2 cents
[/quote]

I was thinking about the Finibars, besides the better hydration thing, isn’t the idea to have a sustainable carb source? Well what about oats, they absorb pretty slowly, don’t spike the insulin and provide long lasting energy. So yeah why not put them in a blender with some protein an hour before the workout and then a fast carb 15 minutes before?

Sure it wouldn’t be “optimal” but it would be damn cost effective…and it’s certainly better than having dextro/malto an hour before WO.

What do you think?