T Nation

Peri-Workout Nutrition Principles

I’m trying to understand how optimal peri-workout nutrition is supposed to work.

This is my understanding:

1. Pre workout should consist of simple sugars
  2. During workout can include fluid with simple sugars
  3. Post workout should consist of a lot of protein

Is that the basic idea?

Not really. You want some carbs that aren’t going to make you crash in addition to a steady supply of amino acids before, during, and after your workout. Electrolytes are a good idea to have too.

I thought you wanted to spike insulin pre workout and during workout, so that you can then load with protein when your body’s ready to shuffle nutrients, and it mostly goes to the muscles.

With an amino acid supplement, you can do that too, but I don’t understand why you would have a steady amount of aminos during the whole time.

Also, I thought part of the reason for simple sugars pre and during was to make sure that you had ample energy via glucose during the workout. I don’t know what you mean by “carbs that aren’t going to make you crash”.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I’m trying to understand how optimal peri-workout nutrition is supposed to work.
Is that the basic idea?[/quote]

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I thought you wanted to spike insulin pre workout and during workout, so that you can then load with protein when your body’s ready to shuffle nutrients, and it mostly goes to the muscles.
[/quote]
So there are two camps; one group believes the body needs “topped off” with glucose and aminos before/during each workout while the other camp believes you just need to properly refuel the tanks after a workout.

Judging by your post you are part of the “top off the tanks” camp so here is my advice for that. The body doesn’t need to be actively drinking supplements immediately before and during a workout. Just make sure you have eaten within 2-3 hours before your workout. Have a complex carb and a good protein source and let your body take care of its fuel tanks. Then post workout have a nice meal as soon as is convenient for you. Some people like shakes others go home shower relax and have a plate of solid food.

The most important factor, whether you are looking to bulk or cut, is hitting your macros consistently over the course of the day/week/month/year.

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Is that the basic idea?[/quote]

[quote]LoRez wrote:
[/quote]
So there are two camps; one group believes the body needs “topped off” with glucose and aminos before/during each workout while the other camp believes you just need to properly refuel the tanks after a workout.

Judging by your post you are part of the “top off the tanks” camp so here is my advice for that. The body doesn’t need to be actively drinking supplements immediately before and during a workout. Just make sure you have eaten within 2-3 hours before your workout. Have a complex carb and a good protein source and let your body take care of its fuel tanks. Then post workout have a nice meal as soon as is convenient for you. Some people like shakes others go home shower relax and have a plate of solid food.

The most important factor, whether you are looking to bulk or cut, is hitting your macros consistently over the course of the day/week/month/year. [/quote]

Thanks. I’m not really part of any camp… just trying to make sense of all the “peri-workout nutrition” talk. About the only thing I’ve personally ever done is protein immediately after the workout.

Buy a tub of Anaconda. Use as directed. See if you feel a difference. Best way to go about it. If you don’t see a diff in performance, don’t continue use.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

With an amino acid supplement, you can do that too, but I don’t understand why you would have a steady amount of aminos during the whole time.

Also, I thought part of the reason for simple sugars pre and during was to make sure that you had ample energy via glucose during the workout. I don’t know what you mean by “carbs that aren’t going to make you crash”.[/quote]

Like Jlone said, there are two different camps when it comes to this stuff(maybe even three). I’ve done the insulin spike thing and found that it wasn’t necessary and for the most part made me feel like crap shortly after my workout, especially if I didn’t eat soon after. Amino acids on their own do just fine for me without the crash. They also don’t need the insulin spike to quickly enter the blood stream.

My advice would be to find what works for you. Some people do great with pre-workout meals, others(like myself) do much better eating after the workout. Some folks do great with simple sugars for workout drinks, others not so much. Find what works for you.

Oh, and simple sugars are “carbs that make you crash”. Anything that quickly spikes insulin will typically lead to a crash as your blood sugar bottoms out after the initial spike.

[quote]i_am_ketosis wrote:
Like Jlone said, there are two different camps when it comes to this stuff(maybe even three). I’ve done the insulin spike thing and found that it wasn’t necessary and for the most part made me feel like crap shortly after my workout, especially if I didn’t eat soon after. Amino acids on their own do just fine for me without the crash. They also don’t need the insulin spike to quickly enter the blood stream.

My advice would be to find what works for you. Some people do great with pre-workout meals, others(like myself) do much better eating after the workout. Some folks do great with simple sugars for workout drinks, others not so much. Find what works for you.

Oh, and simple sugars are “carbs that make you crash”. Anything that quickly spikes insulin will typically lead to a crash as your blood sugar bottoms out after the initial spike.[/quote]

Pardon my inexperience, but what do you mean by “what works for you”? How do you tell if something works or doesn’t work?

Honestly, the biggest factor affecting my workouts right now is the heat. (My car registered 111 degrees F today). Until that gets back to a more normal range, working out in my garage is going to suck no matter how I do it.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]i_am_ketosis wrote:

Oh, and simple sugars are “carbs that make you crash”. Anything that quickly spikes insulin will typically lead to a crash as your blood sugar bottoms out after the initial spike.[/quote]

Pardon my inexperience, but what do you mean by “what works for you”? How do you tell if something works or doesn’t work?

Honestly, the biggest factor affecting my workouts right now is the heat. (My car registered 111 degrees F today). Until that gets back to a more normal range, working out in my garage is going to suck no matter how I do it.[/quote]

Try it one way for a while, see how you perform and how you feel. Then try it the other way for a while, see how you perform and how you feel.

Whichever one helps you perform and feel better, do that.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
Try it one way for a while, see how you perform and how you feel. Then try it the other way for a while, see how you perform and how you feel.

Whichever one helps you perform and feel better, do that.[/quote]

Damn you and your common sense. :slight_smile:

I’m new enough to all of this that I haven’t established any baseline. I probably shouldn’t worry too much about the ‘peri-workout nutrition’ until I’ve got everything else sorted. I suppose that as long as I’m still making steady gains, I’m doing things right.

After lifting this evening, i craved very much for meat…and cheese.

I ate salmon, bratwurst and cheddar cheese. I also had an apple… but it was not appetizing.

WTF IS PERRY WORKOUT NUTRITION. Ur in dat der gymnazium for… maybe an hour … (?)
Dont go catabolic and waste away, breh.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Honestly, the biggest factor affecting my workouts right now is the heat. (My car registered 111 degrees F today). Until that gets back to a more normal range, working out in my garage is going to suck no matter how I do it.[/quote]

I hear you, I work out in the back of my not air conditioned warehouse. It’s been hot the last few days to say the least.

Also, when it comes to “finding what works for you”, chances are you will find what works, after you’ve been doing something that doesn’t for a long time. For example, me spiking my insulin through my workout. I had convinced myself that I need to do that to get the best performance. It was only years later when I stopped doing that I realized that it was making me preform poorly and what made me feel like shit the moment I finished my workout. There are a lot of facepalm moments as you learn this stuff.