T Nation

Peri-Workout Nutrition for Football

I’ve been trying to refine my Peri workout nutrition and have a couple of questions that don’t seem to have been dealt with. As a defensive back I’m not interested in putting on any weight, if anything I’m looking at slimming down a few pounds. This is where my knowledge of peri nutrition runs into trouble given what’s typically recommended on this site. Being geared towards bodybuilders, alot of the stacks/protocols (such as Anaconda) clearly aren’t meant for this.

What I’m currently doing is Surgey Recovery pre-workout coupled with a Gatorade/BCAA mix during workout (or on hard squat/conditioning days this is swapped with Surge Workout Fuel) and a whey protein afterwards, such as Grow! Whey or something like that. I’m not taking any Creatine, while it definitely improves my gains in the gym I put on way to much water weight.

As well, I’m following a program which is somewhat similar to Defranco’s WS4SB with a focus on more “explosive” exercises (not my words). So what else can I substitute in/out?

I would add Beta-Alanine for sure and see what happens if you use kre-alkaline version of creatine. Many users report the performance benifits with less bloat. If you do put on too much weight, you could always drop it before the season. Meanwhile you could get the benifits in off season training.

[quote]btemp wrote:
What I’m currently doing is Surgey Recovery pre-workout coupled with a Gatorade/BCAA mix during workout (or on hard squat/conditioning days this is swapped with Surge Workout Fuel)… [/quote]

A better alternative would be to use Surge Workout Fuel and MAG-10 mixed together before and during training. We usually use a 2:1 ratio of Surge Workout Fuel to MAG-10 with athletes such as yourself.