T Nation

Peri Workout: Crystal Light + BCAA

After reading coach Thibaudeau’s article on his transformation, I took on board what he said about peri/post workout nutrition.Coach includes a couple of alternatives to those who cannot take Surge peri/post w/o because of the carbs and suggests some things to sip throughout the workout. Luckily for me because I’m on a low carb diet!

However-drinking BCAA and Glutamine during a workout is really tough because they taste DISGUSTING when mixed in water.

My question is- will adding sugar free Crystal light powder (even a little for taste) hinder my diet? I know it says Sugar free, but as we all know that doesnt mean there isnt anything nasty in there somewhere(I used to think diet coke was a.o.k on low carb). I just need to know if there is any strange chemical wonder that will cause my low carb diet to be out of whack?#
:slight_smile:

I think you’ll find that this site is a big fan of crystal light and its generic equivalents.

Many low carb dieters (myself included) use powdered zero-cal drinks to flavor protein shakes and keep the sweets cravings at bay. This may outweigh any potential hazards. YMMV.

I have heard outside this site that aspartame, or artificial sweeteners in general, may mess with your insulin response. But I don’t know how much truth there is to that. My guess is not much.

There should not be any problem with you using it on a low carb diet. Why did you find that diet Coke was a problem?

why wouldn’t diet coke be ok on a low-carb? there are no carbs.

crystal light is the same, artificial sweetener so, no sugar and no carbs

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
All forms of coke contain phosphoric acid.

Phosphoric acid (and coke) is a nasty substance to be pouring down your throat. It’ll strip the oxidisation off a copper coin, rust off a chrome bumper and the enamel off your teeth. God knows what it will do to the average digestive tract.

Coke is utter shite IMO.

Bushy[/quote]

Beautiful… Coke/diet coke is complete crap

If you use crystal light with BCAA powder, just make sure it isn’t raspberry green tea flavor, which I love by itself, but holy shit does it taste like a ripe taint with BCAA powder.

Lemonade Crystal Light tastes really good with BCAA powder.

White grape is a good one too.

Brilliant!!

Thank you for your help guys , I appreciate it!
:slight_smile:

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

Phosphoric acid (and coke) is a nasty substance to be pouring down your throat. It’ll strip the oxidisation off a copper coin, rust off a chrome bumper and the enamel off your teeth. God knows what it will do to the average digestive tract.

Coke is utter shite IMO.

Bushy[/quote]

I almost took a job at a place that did automated camera inspections of bottles/can/etc. One of the the tests they had shone a uv light inside coke cans to make sure they had a coating on the inside of it. If the coating was missing in a spot, the coke will eat through the aluminum can.

[quote]theuofh wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:

Coke is utter shite IMO.

Bushy

I almost took a job at a place that did automated camera inspections of bottles/can/etc. One of the the tests they had shone a uv light inside coke cans to make sure they had a coating on the inside of it. If the coating was missing in a spot, the coke will eat through the aluminum can. [/quote]

I worked for an soft drink bottler,and we had bigs that the cans that were rejected went into.
the bins would be leaking from exploded or opened cans.

the floor was concrete and from where the bins sit to the drain was a track that was etched into the floor from several years of the soda flowing into the drain.

the trench was about 4 inches wide and about 2-3 inches deep.
nothing impressive but its amazing what the acid in the sodas did to coated concrete.

Make the mix 10 minutes before in a nalgene sized bottle, let it sit, mix it up, it will dissolve, it wont taste great but quite frankly i prefer that over the ass taste of crystal light. After a month it you probably won’t notice it much at all anyways.

Be warned, I’ve heard than an acidic environment quickly breaks down BCAA’s. I used to use the Lemonade crystal light with my BCAA’s but stopped because of this fact.