T Nation

Peri-Workout Carb Options

Just wondering whether people might be able to share some thoughts around their prefered PWO carb approach?

I usually use an unflavoured WPI, but have been trying to figure out the best way to approach the carb side of the Peri-Workout nutrition.

Any thoughts or advice would be most appreciated.

I should also mention… the same place where I order the WPI, stocks waxy maize starch, dextrose and maltodextrin. Any ideas on a good PWO shake strategy from those options?

I would try out vitargo + a hydrolyzed whey or casein protein pre-workout + BCAAs. Vitargo is extremely quickly absorbed and along with the BCAA’s and fast acting protein, should give your body the spike it wants pre-workout. Or you could try the protocol that CT has been advocating if you have sufficient funds.

I use unflavoured WPC along with both Dextrose and Maltodextrin, seems to be ok and its cheap. Not sure if WM is any better, never tried it myself.

Oh yea…and it taste like fucking shit too.

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:
I would try out vitargo + a hydrolyzed whey or casein protein pre-workout + BCAAs. Vitargo is extremely quickly absorbed and along with the BCAA’s and fast acting protein, should give your body the spike it wants pre-workout. Or you could try the protocol that CT has been advocating if you have sufficient funds. [/quote]

Thanks for the reply ebomb. Vitargo is one I hadn’t even considered. I’ll check it out.

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
I use unflavoured WPC along with both Dextrose and Maltodextrin, seems to be ok and its cheap. Not sure if WM is any better, never tried it myself.

Oh yea…and it taste like fucking shit too.[/quote]

Any particular reason you go with the WPC? I’ve been buying the WPI online. They stock a few different products, including WPC at pretty good prices. Delivery is quick. The unflavoured WPI and waxy maize tastes fine just mixed in water.

15 mins Pre-Workout : 60g WMS + 25g WPC/WPI blend + 10 BCAA
Peri-Workout : 25g BCAA
Post-Workout : 90g WMS + 10g Leucine + 5g Creatine Mono
20 mins post-workout : 75g WPC/WPI blend

I train in the evening around 9, so post workout meal for me is not as optimal as it could be.

-1hr / A bowl of muesli with full fat milk.
-20mins / BCAA’s.
During / Water.

• 10 mins / A pint of full fat milk with a scoop of choc met drive.
  • 1hr 10 mins / scoop of choc met drive and half a serving of Flameout.
  • 1hr 30 mins / 8 hrs sleep.

It may not be optimal, but it works for me.

[quote]PJ84 wrote:
ebomb5522 wrote:
I would try out vitargo + a hydrolyzed whey or casein protein pre-workout + BCAAs. Vitargo is extremely quickly absorbed and along with the BCAA’s and fast acting protein, should give your body the spike it wants pre-workout. Or you could try the protocol that CT has been advocating if you have sufficient funds.

Thanks for the reply ebomb. Vitargo is one I hadn’t even considered. I’ll check it out.

Your welcome man. Have heard really good things about it. Here’s an article from elitefts.com by David Barr on his experience with Vitargo:http://www.elitefts.com/documents/fast_carbs.htm
Tried Vitargo once for about a month senior year in high school, but can’t say that I really tracked my progress in relation to supplementation as well then so would be interested to see what your experience with it would be.

[quote]PJ84 wrote:
hardgnr wrote:

Oh yea…and it taste like fucking shit too.

Any particular reason you go with the WPC? I’ve been buying the WPI online. They stock a few different products, including WPC at pretty good prices. Delivery is quick. The unflavoured WPI and waxy maize tastes fine just mixed in water.
[/quote]

Well the main reason is from CT said about it multiple times, WPC contains some beneficial things that WPI does not and he recommended it over WPI. But I doubt it really makes a major difference. It is also cheaper.

WPI does taste better, and mixes better though.

Where are you ordering from anyway? Proteindirect?

[quote]hardgnr wrote:

Well the main reason is from CT said about it multiple times, WPC contains some beneficial things that WPI does not and he recommended it over WPI. But I doubt it really makes a major difference. It is also cheaper.

WPI does taste better, and mixes better though.

Where are you ordering from anyway? Proteindirect?
[/quote]

I’ve been ordering from myopure.com.au - I just had a look at Protein Direct and it looks like they might be just slightly cheaper on some products, so might have to give that a go.

I’ll go read up on what CT had to say too, sounds interesting.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
Vitargo S2[/quote]

The vitargo seems quite popular. I’m not sure how I managed to have not even heard of it before.

Vitargo is excellent, but personally I use Professional Supplements “Pure Karbolyn”–essentially the same type of product but less expensive. By the way, don’t be fooled by the hype concerning waxy maise starch. It’s not the source of the carbohydrate, but, rather, the special processing that makes Vitargo/Pure Karbolyn so rapidly absorbed.

Originally, Vitargo was made from waxy maise starch (but no longer is so) specially modified/processed. So, other supplement companies wanting to make a buck jumped on the WMS bandwagon and starting selling plain unmodified WMS; however, this stuff DOES NOT have the properties of Vitargo/Pure Karbolyn no matter what the companies claim. It’s just plain old starch–a pure con. It’s no better, no worse, than any other concentrated starch source.

Anyone who has tried both types of products knows exactly what I’m talking about.

Crowbar

hrdgnr - I’ve been ordering from myopure. I had a look at the place you mentioned and it actually looks a little cheaper for the protein so I might have to give that a go next time I order.

Thanks to everybody for taking the time to reply. I read that Dave Barr article (thanks for the link ebomb)…he certainly seems sold on the Vitargo, as do a lot of you guys. Appreciate the advice. Is it expensive as hell in other parts of the world? I looked at some places who sell it here in Australia. Seems to really only be the one brand around and it would cost me around 5 bucks a serve, which hurts the hip pocket a bit!

[quote]PJ84 wrote:
I should also mention… the same place where I order the WPI, stocks waxy maize starch, dextrose and maltodextrin. Any ideas on a good PWO shake strategy from those options?[/quote]

I’ve tried waxy maize, I personally felt a little bloated from it. I prefer a gatorade powder. Can I get a link to a site that I’d be able to order dex/malto please?