Peri-WO Nutrition in Week Before Contest

Hi Coach

I have a Christmas contest coming up (no joke). It’ll be on December 19th. Perfect way to avoid pre-Christmas binges…

I usually go low carbs for 4 days, followed by a carb-up day (Friday).

My questions:

During the low-carb days, would you keep any of the peri-workout supps? Obviously non of the carb-containing ones, but how about Alpha-GPC, hydrolized casein during workouts, bcaa (during, still take them) and whey an hour or so after the deloading workout. Keep them in or drop them?

On Friday I’ll do an arms-only muscle emphasis workout. Concentric work only. Would you go for the complete protocol since it’s carb-up day anyways?

And a last one: what’s your recommendation on water intake the day before the contest?
I usually hava around 1 liter before 4 pm an no water at all after that.

I usually carb up with 450 gram of carbs over 6 meals. I’ll be around 215.

Thank you very much!
Para

I know its not CT - but i’ve just been reviewing some pre-photoshoot carbing up guidelines with Shelby Starnes. One of his biggest bits of advice was (with the exception of creatine) continue taking any supplements through the show. Quitting a supplement will cause a water rebound. If your taking HOT-ROX (or any Yohimbine supp) - get rid of that about two weeks out as it too causes water retention.

Hope this is useful.

From my own experience, not only did I not have any of my peri/post-workout Carbs during the final week (I was taking in <50g a day), but I kept my protein under 175g for fear of my body making glucose from any excess protein. I actually went out of my way to find food that was higher in fat (cheese, salami, sardines…) It worked pretty well, as I came in damn tight. I did keep the BCAAs that I was spiking my water with (drinking 3 gallons a day of the stuff -lol), and I did keep a couple of scoops of whey PWO. Water-wise, I shut down my own intake around 4pm friday. Not sure exactly how many carbs I ingested friday, but aimed for 50-75g at each of 6-7 feedings.

Am curious about the Alpha GPC,… although it is supposed to increase explosive force production, I don’t know if that is even a good thing the last week when you really want to just deplete your glycogen with your weight work.

S

Stu raises an interesting point. I’ve also been told that on Thursday (for Friday shoot) I need to be consuming fatty meats, basically flank steak and ground beef. IIRC correctly Cutler eats a burger and fries before Olympia…no bun. The salt in the friesdries you out a little more, not sure what the burger does.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
From my own experience, not only did I not have any of my peri/post-workout Carbs during the final week (I was taking in <50g a day), but I kept my protein under 175g for fear of my body making glucose from any excess protein. I actually went out of my way to find food that was higher in fat (cheese, salami, sardines…) It worked pretty well, as I came in damn tight. I did keep the BCAAs that I was spiking my water with (drinking 3 gallons a day of the stuff -lol), and I did keep a couple of scoops of whey PWO. Water-wise, I shut down my own intake around 4pm friday. Not sure exactly how many carbs I ingested friday, but aimed for 50-75g at each of 6-7 feedings.

Am curious about the Alpha GPC,… although it is supposed to increase explosive force production, I don’t know if that is even a good thing the last week when you really want to just deplete your glycogen with your weight work.

S
[/quote]

Thnak you very much! Wow, salami and chees the day before the contest. Sounds like a dream to me :slight_smile:
I go with less than 50 grams of carbs Monday-Thursday, too. I eat egg whites (with one yolk for every 6 egg whites), steak, olive oil and just a little bit of veggies.
Never tried to higher in fats.

Fridays before a contest always look the same for me: first 2 meals are 1 banana, 1 apple, 60g oatmeal, 20g whey. Meal 3 and 4 are 100g rice with 100g steamed chicken breast each. Meal 5 and 6 are pankaces (made from 110g powder-mix) with sirup and glycerol.

How much water do you consume on Friday? (Asked you that same question in the bb-forum…).

I won’t come in as heavy as in earlier contests, but muscle quality, symmertry and proportions have definitively improved. Very much looking forward to stepping on stage :slight_smile:

Cheers!
Para

NO, sorry if I confused you,… I ate the high fat/low carb stuff MOn → Thursday. Friday was all about carbs. As far as Curler having a burger and fries, I did have a burger patty friday night right before bed. Christian said that if I was looking tight, and already full (from carbing all day), that the fat in the meat would be a good choice instead of another carb meal. It does all depends on how you look though.

Water wise,… I would guess maybe 1/2 - 1 gallon by 4pm on Friday. I didn’t really keep track, but after having 3 gallons a day mon → thursday, I just kept drinking a ‘good amount’ throughout the day.

S

Sure, I understood that, only my answer came out wrong. (Wanted to say it’s cool to have tasty foods like that the dayS before a contest)…

Thank you very much for the info. I think I won’t restrict water intake drastically too early this year and allow myself to have more than just 1 liter befor 4 pm on Friday.
Secondly, I might have gone a bit overboard with my carb-up on Friday in the past an will try a fat/protein meal Friday night if I already look full, instead of another carb meal (which has always been pancakes for me…).

Pretty cool. I hope come in at around 215 and harder than ever before. My heaviest weight on stage so far was 211. I’m a tall guy, I’m happy about a few extra pounds…

hello guys is there ant formula to know how much carbs ( g) we are suppose to eat the day before competition. what happen to me is at my last competition i ate exactly the same amount of carb ( 50 g per meal 5-6 meal) but i wasd looking less fuller the day of the competition. i thought that it was because of the amount of cardio that i did my muscle was more depleted ( twice more than the last one). any advice on it .

ps the day after the competition i was very full looked like i pick the day after the competition.

explanation please because i’m very confuse now about my 50g carb ( my weight 140lbs the day of competition)

thanks.