T Nation

Peri WO Nutrition: How Do You Not Puke?

From what I can gather, the biggest thing with peri workout nutrition is to get protein and carbs before, during, and after a workout. I remember my sport nutrition professor told me that getting protein before a workout is beneficial, but she added the corollary “if you can keep it down.” I get pretty much all of my nutrients from regular food with the exception of my post-workout shake and nightly multivitamin, but it seems that people on here seem to really think peri workout nutrition makes a big difference.

My current post workout shake is one scoop of protein powder, 4 tablespoons of sugar, and 5g of creatine. If I drank that before I tried to squat or deadlift I think would make me puke everywhere. Is there anything else can do that might help? Currently I just eat a regular meal 1-2 hours before my lift, doesn’t make me puke, but I get the impression it may not be as beneficial as some other protocol

Everyone is different but I know what you mean. Some people can pound a meal an hour prior to heavy/intense lifting. Some have to be fasted.

I used to do the protein+carb thing about 2-3 hours beforehand. I’d still feel sick even at the 3 hour threshhold. I’ve changed completely now to carb backloading so I’m training with nothing but Medium Chain Triglycerides in my gut about 1.5 hours prior and a pre-workout (right now its craze) about 30 minutes prior. It’s been good for the past two months. Zero GI discomfort during the workout and I leave the gym starving.

I do consume a protein meal, though, about 5 hours prior to training. I’m hoping that blood amino levels are still at an acceptable level during training at that point because I don’t have the budget for BCAA’s. Been relying on whole foods.

I have a carb+fat meal a few hours before lifting.

During I drink Gatorade + BCAA’s + Creatine. I use to try Gatorade and Whey, but was just too much on my stomach. But this concoction goes down like water.

[quote]Dieselengine wrote:
From what I can gather, the biggest thing with peri workout nutrition is to get protein and carbs before, during, and after a workout. I remember my sport nutrition professor told me that getting protein before a workout is beneficial, but she added the corollary “if you can keep it down.” I get pretty much all of my nutrients from regular food with the exception of my post-workout shake and nightly multivitamin, but it seems that people on here seem to really think peri workout nutrition makes a big difference.

My current post workout shake is one scoop of protein powder, 4 tablespoons of sugar, and 5g of creatine. If I drank that before I tried to squat or deadlift I think would make me puke everywhere. Is there anything else can do that might help? Currently I just eat a regular meal 1-2 hours before my lift, doesn’t make me puke, but I get the impression it may not be as beneficial as some other protocol[/quote]

Your perinutrition protocol isn’t the best. You didn’t specify the types of protein/sugar so I assume it’s basic.

That most likely spikes your insulin too high resulting in a crash which can make you feel pukey OR it could be sitting heavily in your stomach.

Most perinutrition protocols these days call for fast absorbing/digesting carbs and protein so that when consumed they don’t linger in the stomach resulting in excess blood being sent to the region to improve digestion.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
I have a carb+fat meal a few hours before lifting.

During I drink Gatorade + BCAA’s + Creatine. I use to try Gatorade and Whey, but was just too much on my stomach. But this concoction goes down like water. [/quote]

Pretty much this. Whey is too dense for most people to stomach during a workout, plus it easily does the whole milk in stomach thing.

Anaconda, MAG-10, Surge Workout Fuel, Plazma… they’re all easy on the stomach. They’re so thin/watery. that combined with the fruity flavorings make them super easy to drink before/during a workout. They go down like water for me. Right now I’m using Surge and MAG-10 with creatine and jack3d. I do that directly before most workouts, including legs. I skip the jack3d on arm and shoulder days. no nausea issues whatsoever.

[quote]Dieselengine wrote:
Currently I just eat a regular meal 1-2 hours before my lift, doesn’t make me puke, but I get the impression it may not be as beneficial as some other protocol[/quote]What you are doing IS beneficial.
You will be fine.
Drink some water and electrolytes during workout if you want.