T Nation

Peri- vs. Pre- Workout Carbs

I’m confused. Say you were to eat a FINiBAR 30 minutes before training. Wouldn’t it still be “releasing” glucose into your system throughout the workout? Trying to dial in carb-timing, and control. I don’t want pre- and peri- workout carbs seeing as i’m trying to keep my carb intake fairly low (<200g).

Could someone explain WHY that FINiBAR wouldn’t serve as a pre- and peri- workout carb source, OR why peri- is more important than pre-, or vice versa…

as always, thanks

[quote]eightohfive wrote:
Could someone explain WHY that FINiBAR wouldn’t serve as a pre- and peri- workout carb source, OR why peri- is more important than pre-, or vice versa…[/quote]

Sounds like you’re looking for some clear-cut distinction where one likely doesn’t exist.

For instance, different researchers might define pre/peri periods differently, simply based on their particular model, and it doesn’t mean that anyone’s wrong.

Anyway, its my general understanding that any actual food (ie. requiring digestion) intake is meant for the “pre-” while powder-type formulas are utilized “peri-,” as they’re so readily absorbed.

Not necessarily clear cut as much as experienced based answers. I understand the idea of solids/liquids and the availability, however, if the solid food has been/is being digested, shouldn’t nutrients be circulating, available and therefore considered “peri”?

^^ that’s certainly the way I see it.

In other words, not much delineation between pre- and peri-, timing-wise…

I find that FINiBars for me are best utilized - think energy, pumps, gas in the tank - about 60 minutes out. Then adding the Anaconda at tminus 10 minutes. The whole event i deem peri nutrition.

i dunno man some times i wonder if i could be eating or drinking something during my workout that would help me out but I usually just eat 2 to 3 hours before my workout then as soon as i get home i have a full meal as well. I hate how i feel with food in my stomach working out

This was in Wednesday’s spill, kind of pertains to what your asking…

You need to pre-load before the workout for 2 reasons: (1) although the protein and carbs used in ANACONDA are the fastest absorbed, it still needs 15-20 minutes to enter the bloodstream, so you want to walk into the workout with loaded blood so that you reap more benefit from the pre-pump layer. (2) once your body starts to jack up catecholamines (adrenalin, noradrenalin) production the body’s capacity to produce insulin (which increases nutrients transport to the muscle)

The body’s capacity to produce insulin decreases drastically. So you want to get the insulin release BEFORE you start the workout, so that you can optimally shuttle nutrients to the muscle. Understand that nutrients are sent to the muscle by 2 pathways: IDNT (insulin-dependant nutrients transport) and IINT (insulin-independant nutrients transport). The first one obviously requires insulin, the other is achieve by the muscle contraction-relaxation cycle which acts like a nutrients pump.

So for the full effect of enhanced nutrients transport during the workout, you need to initiate insulin production before the workout.

Hopefully that is useful to you and not to sciency, i think the key is finding what works for YOU and going with that, everyone goes about it their own way and have their own reasoning to explain it.

^ hey man, quality reply. thanks for sharing that.

[quote]Eazy wrote:
reap more benefit from the pre-pump layer [/quote]

What?

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

[quote]Eazy wrote:
reap more benefit from the pre-pump layer [/quote]

What?[/quote]

CT is using the term “layering” to describe the way he’s currently structuring his sessions. The four layers right now are 1) a pre-pump exercise 2) a heavy exercise 3) pumping variation of the heavy exercise (lower weight, using both partials and full range) 4) loading under stretch.

B.

[quote]Eazy wrote:
This was in Wednesday’s spill, kind of pertains to what your asking…

You need to pre-load before the workout for 2 reasons: (1) although the protein and carbs used in ANACONDA are the fastest absorbed, it still needs 15-20 minutes to enter the bloodstream, so you want to walk into the workout with loaded blood so that you reap more benefit from the pre-pump layer. (2) once your body starts to jack up catecholamines (adrenalin, noradrenalin) production the body’s capacity to produce insulin (which increases nutrients transport to the muscle)

The body’s capacity to produce insulin decreases drastically. So you want to get the insulin release BEFORE you start the workout, so that you can optimally shuttle nutrients to the muscle. Understand that nutrients are sent to the muscle by 2 pathways: IDNT (insulin-dependant nutrients transport) and IINT (insulin-independant nutrients transport). The first one obviously requires insulin, the other is achieve by the muscle contraction-relaxation cycle which acts like a nutrients pump.

So for the full effect of enhanced nutrients transport during the workout, you need to initiate insulin production before the workout.

Hopefully that is useful to you and not to sciency, i think the key is finding what works for YOU and going with that, everyone goes about it their own way and have their own reasoning to explain it.
[/quote]

This makes sense to me but does anyone know of any research that compares the amount of nutrient absorption in muscles from insulin mediated action and non insulin mediated action? From what I have understood the glucose transporters (GLUT 4) that are activated mechanically via exercise have a pretty significant impact on uptake, to the point where there may not be any significant difference in uptake between insulin mediated uptake and non insulin mediated uptake.

And all this time my rationale was simply that I had a better training session from carbs Pre than carbs Post -lol.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
And all this time my rationale was simply that I had a better training session from carbs Pre than carbs Post -lol.

S[/quote]
Does this include off season training? I ask because that distinction could indicate that you are heavily restricted if you NEED carbs pre-workout in order to perform.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

S[/quote]

Yeah, and you also used to eat pop-tarts, snob :wink: