T Nation

Perception is a Powerful Thing

So here’s the thing…

In my circle of friends and family…you know, my WORLD…I’m the strong guy. The heavy lifter. The first guy that comes to mind when someone needs help lifting…anything. I’m enormous. I’m loud and always happy, always cracking wise and I absolutely REVEL in being big and strong… I’m taller than everyone, bigger than everyone, stronger than everyone I know.

…until I walk into my gym.

I workout in a dungeon called MetroFlex in Arlington, and there are women there lifting more than I can. I’m one of the weak assholes taking up space on the squat rack with my piddly weight, preventing the real men from moving the serious iron.

I don’t know about you guys, but it’s simultaneously demoralizing and motivating to be put in your place in the real world like that, just by being in the presence of the heavy hitters.

Not really sure why I posted this. Hell I may be the only one that feels this way. lol.

Anyway, feel free to discuss.

You train at Metroflex? Awesome!

Be glad you have such a hardcore gym available to you… We don’t have a single comparable gym in the entire country… Maybe a private PL gym here or there, but those seriously lack equipment… And none are in my area, of course.

Must be fun to watch Branch and co train…

It’s sad that I’m the strongest in my gym as that just shouldn’t be,…I must tell you that I’m in Taiwan, but not all the guys are as small as you’d think.
I see many guys here that are about 5’10" or so, if not taller, and about 180lbs or a bit more. I’ve also seen guys that are 6 foot or a bit more and 220 plus and it’s so rare to even see a 135 bench. Yes, I’m not kidding. Imagine a whole gym of frat boys working out. Just tonight there was a guy that must’ve been about 175lbs and average height doing 20lb DB bench press. I’ve seen guys with wraps and straps and a belt on doing 7.5 lb DB incline bench press.
My gym is one of those 24Hour Fitness affiliates and it’s rather expensive…so my theory is that most all of the guys that go would be white collar types completely unfamiliar with manual labor and thus have a poor work ethic in the gym.
I got videos of lots of dumb shit I’ve seen in the gym here.

[quote]OklahomaHoss wrote:
So here’s the thing…

In my circle of friends and family…you know, my WORLD…I’m the strong guy. The heavy lifter. The first guy that comes to mind when someone needs help lifting…anything. I’m enormous. I’m loud and always happy, always cracking wise and I absolutely REVEL in being big and strong… I’m taller than everyone, bigger than everyone, stronger than everyone I know.

I workout in a dungeon called MetroFlex in Arlington, and there are women there lifting more than I can. I’m one of the weak assholes taking up space on the squat rack with my piddly weight, preventing the real men from moving the serious iron.

I don’t know about you guys, but it’s simultaneously demoralizing and motivating to be put in your place in the real world like that, just by being in the presence of the heavy hitters.

Not really sure why I posted this. Hell I may be the only one that feels this way. lol.

Anyway, feel free to discuss. [/quote]
Women, really?

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
You train at Metroflex? Awesome!

Be glad you have such a hardcore gym available to you… We don’t have a single comparable gym in the entire country… Maybe a private PL gym here or there, but those seriously lack equipment… And none are in my area, of course.

Must be fun to watch Branch and co train…

[/quote]

Man, let me tell you. It’s just awe inspiring. It really is. These guys come in, do their business and they don’t monkey around. The cool thing is, they’re both rather approachable. Not snobbish like you’d think someone famous might be.

It is indeed a privelege to workout at MetroFlex. If I were to open my own gym, it’d be exacly like it. No nonsense, No attitudes, and no air conditioning. lol.

Alffi what are you talking about?

EDIT: Oh, I missed the part where OK Hoss mentioned women…I thought you were calling us women.

[quote]Nards wrote:
Just tonight there was a guy that must’ve been about 175lbs and average height doing 20lb DB bench press. I’ve seen guys with wraps and straps and a belt on doing 7.5 lb DB incline bench press.
[/quote]

No. fking. Way.

I have no idea what to say to that. It just blows me away.

[quote]Alffi wrote:

So here’s the thing…

Anyway, feel free to discuss. [/quote]
Women, really?[/quote]

Yea, I kid you not. There’s this one that’s always in there on the days that I’m in there and she’s absolutely HARD CORE. She was doing T-Bar rows once when I was in doing deadlifts and she was tearing that weight up. I remember she was grunting like a 350lb man heaving that weight, and it was a pretty sizable amount of weight (like about 3 plates on the end of the bar, while she can’t weigh any more than 190) and she was totally focused. I’ve seen several women like that at one point or another like her in there.

And…okay, maybe they aren’t lifting MORE than I am (although it might actually be pretty close, some of these girls are pretty damned muscular) but you get the picture of what I’m talking about.

They just opened a Metro-Flex a few months back in Houston, Tx (same basic feel of the place). I know one of the guys running it but have only been there a few times right when they were first opening. While I like the place, the sad thing is, the lack of HS equipment has me still hitting up one of the more serious 24 Hour Fitnesses in the area.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
They just opened a Metro-Flex a few months back in Houston, Tx (same basic feel of the place). I know one of the guys running it but have only been there a few times right when they were first opening. While I like the place, the sad thing is, the lack of HS equipment has me still hitting up one of the more serious 24 Hour Fitnesses in the area.[/quote]

Actually, I heard that machines halt muscle growth dead in its tracks. Free weights are better for size. I know a lot about this stuff.

Yes, I’m kidding.

I hope to someday earn the right to work out in a bad ass gym like that!

They just opened a Metro-Flex a few months back in Houston, Tx (same basic feel of the place). I know one of the guys running it but have only been there a few times right when they were first opening. While I like the place, the sad thing is, the lack of HS equipment has me still hitting up one of the more serious 24 Hour Fitnesses in the area.[/quote]

Yea, Brian (the original owner of the one in Arlington) is finally getting serious and has started opening up locations all over.

What is “HS” equipment? Hammer Strength?

[quote]Mettahl wrote:

Actually, I heard that machines halt muscle growth dead in its tracks. Free weights are better for size. I know a lot about this stuff.

Yes, I’m kidding.

I hope to someday earn the right to work out in a bad ass gym like that![/quote]

Lol, I dont kid myself. I just got lucky to move to the town that MetroFlex happens to be in.

MetroFlex, Arlington. Great place. I am currently at a Lifetime in North Texas. Not too bad. We have a 115 pound girl there who won a bodybuilding contest a couple of weeks ago and get this, she Hack Squats 720. I spot her from time to time. Got to tell you its a privilege.

[quote]mombasa333 wrote:
MetroFlex, Arlington. Great place. I am currently at a Lifetime in North Texas. Not too bad. We have a 115 pound girl there who won a bodybuilding contest a couple of weeks ago and get this, she Hack Squats 720. I spot her from time to time. Got to tell you its a privilege. [/quote]

Do you happen to be at the Garland location?

[quote]Nards wrote:
It’s sad that I’m the strongest in my gym as that just shouldn’t be,…I must tell you that I’m in Taiwan, but not all the guys are as small as you’d think.
I see many guys here that are about 5’10" or so, if not taller, and about 180lbs or a bit more. I’ve also seen guys that are 6 foot or a bit more and 220 plus and it’s so rare to even see a 135 bench. Yes, I’m not kidding. Imagine a whole gym of frat boys working out. Just tonight there was a guy that must’ve been about 175lbs and average height doing 20lb DB bench press. I’ve seen guys with wraps and straps and a belt on doing 7.5 lb DB incline bench press.
My gym is one of those 24Hour Fitness affiliates and it’s rather expensive…so my theory is that most all of the guys that go would be white collar types completely unfamiliar with manual labor and thus have a poor work ethic in the gym.
I got videos of lots of dumb shit I’ve seen in the gym here.[/quote]

Nards, I feel your pain. I am nowhere near impressive compared to the people on this forum, but I am one of the bigger guys in my gym. Most of the guys in my gym spend their time curling and benching tiny weights for numerous repetitions (or benching while their buddy upright rows the bar off their chest) and it shows in their anteriorly-rotated shoulders and chicken legs. However, this really motivates to be better, as I don’t want to be like the other guys in my gym. Does your gym have this effect on you?

I am in the Flower Mound area.

[quote]Nards wrote:
I got videos of lots of dumb shit I’ve seen in the gym here.[/quote]

Really? Not even a 135 bench?! I know that the first time I tried benching as a small, skinny-fat, cross country runner, I was probably 150lbs and easily able to do a 135 bench. How did they even get to 180lbs? Are they obese or something?
Maybe it’s just the college I’ll attend next fall, but I’ve seen many frat boys there benching, squatting, and doing olympic lifts using heavy weights.

So is this the 2nd strongest guy in the gym? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzPInkddrgk
I saw your videos and I have to say that your gym is fucked up. I would have be able to stand that place; the people and the music are just horrible to have if you want a real work out. I would have bought my own squat rack and weights.

Man, let me tell you. It’s just awe inspiring. It really is. These guys come in, do their business and they don’t monkey around. The cool thing is, they’re both rather approachable. Not snobbish like you’d think someone famous might be.

It is indeed a privelege to workout at MetroFlex. If I were to open my own gym, it’d be exacly like it. No nonsense, No attitudes, and no air conditioning. lol.[/quote]

There’s nothing weak about air conditioning.

[quote]iflyboats wrote:

It is indeed a privelege to workout at MetroFlex. If I were to open my own gym, it’d be exacly like it. No nonsense, No attitudes, and no air conditioning. lol.[/quote]

There’s nothing weak about air conditioning.[/quote]

…Especially in TEXAS. Hell, air conditioning should be required by law between May and November here.

I’m the guy that does all the weird lifts -

neck flexions
uses a neck harness
does barbell glute bridges with a custom pad
uses the hip adduction machine

and about to start using a Thors hammer.

I dont care at all if other gym people think its weird. I make strong gains on them.